Atonement views

C

CelticRebel

Pouring life into lifelessness, value into void. The sacrifices were offerings of life. To fill up the gap of unrighteousness, although they only prefigured this.

There is nothing substitutionary about these sacrifices as far as I can tell. It's something we tend to read back into the text.

Thank you for your answer.

I have a problem with the teaching that god required these sacrifices. The OT prophets said He didn't. But that's another can of worms, so to speak, that i probably shouldn't open. That and my views on hell and the atonement got me booted off a fundie Baptist forum.

Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

I have a problem with the teaching that god required these sacrifices. The OT prophets said He didn't. But that's another can of worms, so to speak, that i probably shouldn't open. That and my views on hell and the atonement got me booted off a fundie Baptist forum.
Well, I don't know how one could square God "needing" the sacrifices with the Epistle to the Hebrews. That would be a tough workaround.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

indeed, God requires nothing. to require something means He has needs and He has no needs being God.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
CelticRebel said:
I find it amazing that I am so much in agreement with Orthodoxy on many important doctrines and so far away on others.

I was there as well for a long time. It took me 5 years of research (and trying pretty much every possible church) to finally decide to give Orthodoxy a chance. I started attending, believing that it was a beautiful place to worship, but didn't think I would join officially, due to some conflicting beliefs. It turns out that things made a lot more sense over time, and I felt completely at home in the Orthodox Faith.

Upvote 0
C

CelticRebel

I was there as well for a long time. It took me 5 years of research (and trying pretty much every possible church) to finally decide to give Orthodoxy a chance. I started attending, believing that it was a beautiful place to worship, but didn't think I would join officially, due to some conflicting beliefs. It turns out that things made a lot more sense over time, and I felt completely at home in the Orthodox Faith.

I am truly happy for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate it, but maybe after reading some of my other recent posts you won't think that anymore.

As I said, though, in another thread, I also appreciate you, AM, for all that you have written to me.

many of us on here were inquiring Protestants and such, so we can relate to what you are asking, brother.

Upvote 0