Athiest Relatives On My Case Again. Prayers Please.

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟805,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I was having a pleasant conversation with my son and suddenly he's saying all religions are violent and basically useless. My mom always has to throw in that "religion is just to control people." And the bible is "just a book of myths and fairy tales".

I'm so frustrated at this point. I hate seeing them jeopardizing their salvation--especially my mother, being 85. This is no time to turn your back on God.

Please pray that my entire family accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

Thanks!

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Praying Chrystal. My sister basically says the same things. But what comforts me oddly enough, is that she must think it is important as she refers to her objections too much. I mean, that would be like me objecting about the tooth fairy. Prayers for you and your family. I know it's tough! *hugs*

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟805,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Thanks Michie (and all who prayed).

I had an uncle (by marriage) who said the closer you get to death, the less of an atheist you are. I hope this is true with my parents. Although, my dad took communion in the Catholic hospital he was in last year. So, I feel there is some hope for him.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks Michie (and all who prayed).

I had an uncle (by marriage) who said the closer you get to death, the less of an atheist you are. I hope this is true with my parents. Although, my dad took communion in the Catholic hospital he was in last year. So, I feel there is some hope for him.
That's a good sign. :)

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I was having a pleasant conversation with my son and suddenly he's saying all religions are violent and basically useless. My mom always has to throw in that "religion is just to control people." And the bible is "just a book of myths and fairy tales".

I'm so frustrated at this point. I hate seeing them jeopardizing their salvation--especially my mother, being 85. This is no time to turn your back on God.

Thanks!
I've had to cut off most contact with my daughter. Lord Jesus warned us that our enemies may well be of our own household. My son is a little easier to get on with. I can't talk Christian things with him, but he's not aggressive. The Lord told me to limit contact as it just gets me down . Of course we pray for their salvation. But every time they hear the gospel and refuse it, they harden their hearts a little. God can work in them until they are receptive. The parable of the sower says it all.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟805,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I've had to cut off most contact with my daughter. Lord Jesus warned us that our enemies may well be of our own household. My son is a little easier to get on with. I can't talk Christian things with him, but he's not aggressive. The Lord told me to limit contact as it just gets me down . Of course we pray for their salvation. But every time they hear the gospel and refuse it, they harden their hearts a little. God can work in them until they are receptive. The parable of the sower says it all.

You're right about family being a stumbling block. Bitterness seems to grow in them. I have one sister who's particularly bitter. She seems to despise Christianity. I don't understand it. No one pushed religion on her. It's not like she had a bad experience in church (when we were little). She just completely turned her back on God one day and won't even talk about Christianity.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Lord have mercy upon Chrystal and all of her family.

The rise of the "New Atheist" movement, as it was (is?) called, in the early 2000s really turned a lot of western people quite sour on the subject of religion altogether, and especially Christianity. Here I'm thinking of the quite famous and well-regarded works on the subject by the likes of Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, and Sam Harris (the new atheists' "holy trinity" perhaps...at least in the sense of the three to whom they obviously are especially devoted; I have even heard arguments recently from some of their fellow atheists like Peter Boghossian who used to be a part of that crowd that "new atheism" is itself essentially a religion in all but name, which is an observation I have yet to see sufficient reason to oppose).

My own grandmother also told me that it was "stupid" to get baptized (yes, that is exactly the word she used; how nice), and religion is for weak people, and why would I want a bunch of people telling me what to do, etc. This was several years ago, but she is 93 years old, so I can relate to the distress you feel in hearing these things. My prayers are with you, as truly unworthy as I am to offer them.

But then she also reminded me that it was only ever my other who had turned to religion, as she did as a teen in the 1960s (quite counter-cultural, if you consider what was popular at the time), since neither of my grandparents on that side of the family were ever explicitly religious (and none of their other children are). I do not mind taking after my mother in this regard. It made me feel oddly proud, in a weird way -- not like I'm better than them or anyone, but like I am continuing a tradition that might otherwise be lost in that side of the family (my father's side are mostly disaffected/non-practicing Catholics; Lord have mercy...our local diocese was hit hard by the abuse scandals, so in that case it's hard to not sympathize). And of course to say that belief in Christ is "worth continuing" is about the biggest understatement anyone can possibly make!

So maybe looking at it that way might help? You can and should still pray for them, of course, but when they say all kinds of evil against you on account of Christ, you can remind yourself that even if you are the only one in your immediate family who believes (and that is understandably distressing), then at least you are the one who believes! What could possibly be better? Sounds like both our families' atheist/agnostic/aggressive jerky old people quota is filled, so it's good to have other types of people in your family, even if you yourself have to fill that role! :p

(I joke to lighten the mood, of course, and I truly mean no offense and apologize in advance if I have caused any. I am sure your mother and other family members are all wonderful people outside of these kinds of interactions, as my grandmother is also a wonderful person. I have just learned not to bring up certain topics around her unless I am prepared for the blast of extreme bitterness that will follow. Lord have mercy.)

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm hearing a lot of that in college. I am doing sociology as one of my subjects and religion being used to oppress people, or to get them to conform is mentioned frequently. Like they are actively teaching against my beliefs.

I hope your relatives come to know Christ. Keep praying. ♡

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟805,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
dezheremi & sam91,
I agree that this "New Atheist" movement (especially in colleges) has pulled many away from Christ. I feel that atheism has led to this confused, angry society that we're living in today.
I am glad that I'm a believer, even if I'm the only one in my immediate family. I do have an aunt on my mother's side who believes. Although, she's Baptist and thinks Catholics worship Mary. But, at least she believes.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
dezheremi & sam91,
I agree that this "New Atheist" movement (especially in colleges) has pulled many away from Christ. I feel that atheism has led to this confused, angry society that we're living in today.
I am glad that I'm a believer, even if I'm the only one in my immediate family. I do have an aunt on my mother's side who believes. Although, she's Baptist and thinks Catholics worship Mary. But, at least she believes.
(I'm also a Baptist... well, I attend a Baptist church. I'm more non-denominational. Think we all have things wrong btw. Hope you don't mind my posting)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chrystal-J

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟805,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
(I'm also a Baptist... well, I attend a Baptist church. I'm more non-denominational. Think we all have things wrong btw. Hope you don't mind my posting)

I don't mind you're posting because we are all children of God. :)

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Thanks!

I've been in the same boat for years! My mother died in her nineties without accepting Christ. I'm the only one of her six children who became a Christian.

Father, please protect Chrystal's son from Satan's lies. Bless her family with the beautiful truths that You teach us to love and forgive one another, and that You gave your only Son for our salvation. There is no greater love. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Christian healing bible verse.jpg

Christian Gift 7.jpg

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thanks!
Salvation really is between God ... and each individual.

People reject Christ for various reasons. What you can do for your mother and son ... is to model Christ for them in your behavior.

Even then, many people just don't choose the things of God.

But trust in the knowledge that God knows when ... and how to capture the attention of those who may be drawn to Him. Many who have publicly disclaimed Him ... have ultimately found themselves in need of Him.

Make sure that your loved ones know that you respect their choice ... but also suggest that your choice also deserves respect.

P.S. Persons who have visceral reactions to the subject of Christianity have often been disappointed in their interaction with God. There is often some desire they have which has not been met ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thanks!
I too live in that world. Feeling and praying for you Sister.

Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟805,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
In my opinion, my family is disappointed in their lives in some form or another. They think "If there was a God--why is this or that happening?" All I know is that their lack of belief has made them angry. They never seem genuinely happy or satisfied. Considering I've been sick all my life, I should be the bitter one. But, I can't imagine life with-out Jesus in it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In my opinion, my family is disappointed in their lives in some form or another. They think "If there was a God--why is this or that happening?" All I know is that their lack of belief has made them angry. They never seem genuinely happy or satisfied. Considering I've been sick all my life, I should be the bitter one. But, I can't imagine life with-out Jesus in it.
You are awesome!

The problem of evil and suffering is the most difficult question for a Theist, particularly a Theist of the JC branch.

But rationally speaking, the problem is not solved and made even worse if we deny the existence of God. At least with God there is a possibility of eventual purpose in it all. Without him there is no sense in talking about the evil or injustice of it all because at its root nothing has any purpose.

Also, as you have no doubt recognised, the realisation that what ever the reason for it, that He Himself has shared in our suffering for the Love of us all has to be a comfort.

Is it possible that they are embracing the sentiment of people like the late Christopher Hitchens who's new-atheist work can be summed up as: "God does not exist and I hate Him!"?

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟805,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
You are awesome!
Thanks. :)
Is it possible that they are embracing the sentiment of people like the late Christopher Hitchens who's new-atheist work can be summed up as: "God does not exist and I hate Him!"?
Yes, I've always been mystified how you can have so much animosity toward something you think doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. :)

Yes, I've always been mystified how you can have so much animosity toward something you think doesn't exist.
I think, deep down, they know. They sense. But they hate.

Prayers, Chrystal. Don't stop praying. It's tough, but prayer *does* help. I have a feeling that the Divine Mercy Chaplet is especially helpful.

Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
You're right about family being a stumbling block. Bitterness seems to grow in them. I have one sister who's particularly bitter. She seems to despise Christianity. I don't understand it. No one pushed religion on her. It's not like she had a bad experience in church (when we were little). She just completely turned her back on God one day and won't even talk about Christianity.
Something has triggered this. My brother blames God for his best friend's suicide. 30 years later, our youngest brother died of a brain tumour. That sealed it for my brother. Yet God did miracles in my family. My parents were poverty stricken alcoholics. I prayed for them. They got free of alcohol, found great jobs, bought a house and retired to a wonderful town. They never did see God's hand in it, but God blessed them anyway.
"A brother offended is more unyielding than a strong city, and quarrelling is like the bars of a castle." That goes for sisters too.

Upvote 0