Atheists do not deny a God exists.

A

anffyddwyr

Atheists do not deny a God exists, they state categorically that a God does not exist,
they know in their bones a God does not exist, the very concept is ridiculous to them.

People are entitled to believe whatever they want,
but they should not expect to get respect for their beliefs just because they believe them,
a belief in something ridiculous is still a belief in something ridiculous,
and to an Atheists a belief in a God is ridiculous.

I believe it is not their fault, but creationists live in a dream world which is manufactured be
someone else and forced into their heads when they are young.

No one, but no one (who can think for themselves) comes to creationism on their own,
every creationist is brought up in creationism,
it is not something a person decides for themselves to believe in.

This is the reason why creationists are permanently on the defensive,
even though it is unbelievable they continue to defend it because they
have no other choice, if they don't, their whole upbringing is a sham
and everything they have been told is a lie.

Think about it, what would you do?

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is the reason why creationists are permanently on the defensive,
even though it is unbelievable they continue to defend it because they
have no other choice, if they don't, their whole upbringing is a sham
and everything they have been told is a lie.

Jesus is a creationist.

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Atheists do not deny a God exists, they state categorically that a God does not exist,
they know in their bones a God does not exist, the very concept is ridiculous to them.

You are entitled to believe whatever you want, but you should not expect to get respect for your beliefs just because you believe them.

Upvote 0

thaumaturgy

Nov 17, 2006
✟12,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Anffyddwyr,
Technically speaking strong atheists make the categorical claim that God does not exist. Unfortunately this is a universal negative claim and is logically indefensible.

I always prefer the weak atheist stance. This is not a stance that means my atheism is "weak" but rather that says "there is no evidence to assume God exists" or alternately that the "god concept is undefined or meaningless and therefore it is impossible to make the claim that God exists".

The weak atheist stance is logically more defensible since it does not require that a universal negative be proven. Otherwise you will find folks like AV1611 who will merely demand that you keep searching.

(note: I am also a "weak antielephantist" when faced with the claim that there is a miniature invisible elephant in my refrigerator)

It is up to AV1611 et al to provide testable proof of God's existence that is incontrovertible and cannot be explained away by more mundane means. And given thousands upon thousands of years of time to do so, the religious have failed to do their homework.

Upvote 0

thaumaturgy

Nov 17, 2006
✟12,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is a creationist.

How do you know that? Do you have signed document by Jesus? Or do you have the copy of a copy of a copy of a document of the word of someone who likely wasn't anywhere around Jesus at the time he supposedly made statements to this effect?

What if the American Judicial system played thusly with rules for evidence?

-------------------------------
"Your honor, I have here a scrap of paper of unknown origin that is apparently a copy of a copy of a typed piece of paper saying that AV1611VET is the man who robbed the liquor store in Bellingham!"

"Jury, how find ye?"

"Well, we find AV1611VET guilty as charged!"
------------------------------

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is up to AV1611 et al to provide testable proof of God's existence that is incontrovertible and cannot be explained away by more mundane means. And given thousands upon thousands of years of time to do so, the religious have failed to do their homework.

[bible]John 7:34[/bible]

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How do you know that? Do you have signed document by Jesus?

Yes ---

Or do you have the copy of a copy of a copy of a document of the word of someone who likely wasn't anywhere around Jesus at the time he supposedly made statements to this effect?

I've shown before that the AV line is more accurate than a photocopier can reproduce over the same timespan.

Upvote 0

thaumaturgy

Nov 17, 2006
✟12,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[bible]John 7:34[/bible]

And that somehow makes you feel good about your faith?

The words of your teacher:
[bible]Matthew 13:13-15[/bible]

AV, I have actually taught a number of classes throughout my career. I guarantee you that if my students didn't learn despite trying very hard and I didn't take just a wee bit of responsibility for that failure then I was not a teacher.

If you for one minute think that all atheists don't believe because they are lazy somehow, then I venture to assume you haven't met many atheists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you for one minute think that all atheists don't believe because they are lazy somehow, then I venture to assume you haven't met many atheists.

There's a better word than "lazy" for why atheists don't believe.

In my opinion, atheists are hard workers --- polishing brass on a sinking ship.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eledhwen

Jul 23, 2007
Wootton Bassett
Visit site
✟15,144.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I don't understand is, why does it matter to an Atheist that other people believe there IS a God? It seems to me that there is no-one more evangelistic than an atheist, yet there is absolutely nothing riding on that evangelism. I am a Christian, so I believe that I can seriously affect someone's eternal destiny by talking to them about why I believe what I do. What is an Atheist's reason for trying to convince us there ISN'T a God? Where's the benefit? If I am deluding myself, then where's the harm? What is the Atheist trying to improve in my life by convincing me there is no God? Maybe they think they will get something out of it ... Do they think I'm going to thank them gratefully for freeing me from deception and hand over my tithe?

Or maybe there's something else behind this aggressive atheistic evangelism.

As a Christian, I live in hope. What has the atheist got to offer?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What I don't understand is, why does it matter to an Atheist that other people believe there IS a God? It seems to me that there is no-one more evangelistic than an atheist, yet there is absolutely nothing riding on that evangelism. I am a Christian, so I believe that I can seriously affect someone's eternal destiny by talking to them about why I believe what I do. What is an Atheist's reason for trying to convince us there ISN'T a God? Where's the benefit? If I am deluding myself, then where's the harm? What is the Atheist trying to improve in my life by convincing me there is no God? Maybe they think they will get something out of it ... Do they think I'm going to thank them gratefully for freeing me from deception and hand over my tithe?

Good post, Eledhwen --- I gave you reps for that. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

five

Raptor Jesus
Dec 23, 2005
✟751.00
Faith
Agnostic

I think it's because you're seeing atheists on the internet, which are different from atheists in the real world. Internet atheists are, like, huge douchebags who don't really exist. Kind of like monsters in your closet, except they condone gay marriage (only 4/10 closet monsters condone gay marriage, vs. 7/10 atheists)

Upvote 0

Atheuz

It's comforting to know that this isn't a test
May 14, 2007
✟16,641.00
Faith
Atheist

As an Agnostic I try to convince Christians to abandon their faith because they ruin the lives of others because of their faith

They won't have Abortion, Gays, Gay Marriage, Stemcell research(Which could save the lives of millions, but because of their magic friend in the sky that won't happen) - Some of them even goes to the length of wanting Science removed from Science class rooms and replaced with Pseudoscience.

Upvote 0