not so new
Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
✟94,770.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A legal battle is brewing in the state of Arkansas as atheist groups demand the removal of the Ten Commandments Monument on display at its State Capitol.

One group consisted of four women from a local cycling club who declared that as atheists they feel uncomfortable seeing the monument whenever they pass by on their routes. Plaintiff Donna Cave told reporters that the "religious shrine" made her feel like a second-class citizen.

On Wednesday, the American Humanist Association, the Freedom From Religion Foundation, Inc. and the Arkansas Society of Freethinkers filed their lawsuit in court with the help of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). Also named as plaintiffs were members of the United Methodist Church and a rabbi.

The ACLU, however, has also filed a separate lawsuit to cite the same complaints about the presence of the Ten Commandments Monument.

"The State of Arkansas may not, consistent with the Constitutions of the United States and the State of Arkansas, instruct its citizens which God to worship, forbid its citizens to use a particular deity's name in vain, or require sabbath observances for religious purposes," the lawsuit stated.

Atheist groups file lawsuit to remove Ten Commandments Monument at Arkansas State Capitol

** I wanted to point out something I have been observing. In the west and in Europe for the most part, Atheists focuses on removing anything that has to do with Christianity in the public sphere and elsewhere. However when it comes to other religions they are quite okay with them. They don't speak out against them, their focus is just on Christianity.

Some people may say that atheists focus on removing because Christianity has been predominantly the west and Europe and this is why this the focus on Christianity, that is not true. More and more persons are practicing other religions in the west and Europe, entering into public office who have other religious beliefs and atheists do not speak out against them. Why is this happening? This is because they hate Christianity, they don't hate other religions, their main focus is on destroying Christianity. They are not anti-religion, just anti-Christian. Are these atheists even atheists at all?

Carefully note the following:

The city of Vero Beach, Florida, is refusing to cave in to an atheist group's demands that it remove a cross from a veterans memorial that was built over 50 years ago, and has even taken steps to prepare for any potential lawsuit.

According to TCPalm.com, the city's "Lest We Forget" monument, which sits on a 7-acre Veterans Memorial Island Sanctuary and features a 19-inch cross sitting on top, has come under fire from the nation's largest secular legal organization, the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

The Wisconsin-based legal group was contacted by an ex-Christian named Michael Haggerty, a disgruntled resident, which led them to send a letter to Mayor Dick Winger in August, demanding that they remove the cross because, as they claim, it constitutes a violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

"It is unlawful for a city government to display patently religious symbols on city property even to commemorate our veterans," the letter argued. "FFRF has no objection to memorializing veterans. Our objection is to the message of endorsement of religion over non religions. Additionally, this memorial sends the message that the government only cares about the deaths of Christian veterans, not other non-Christian and nonreligious veterans."

City Refuses to Remove Cross From Veterans Memorial After Atheist Group Complains

Examine the list of victories that FFRF has listed. How much of these are targeting non Christian religious beliefs in schools or elsewhere. It is obvious that the main target is Christianity, Christianity, and Christianity, not other religions, just Christianity.

Freedom From Religions Victory

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
This world is the devils, he is the prince of this world till he is cast to the bottomless pit.

We will as Christians be mocked and hated and even killed, so why are we so surprised on things like this?

If Jesus saw this, he would preach about rejecting this world and following him and carrying your own cross, as if there was no Opposition, there would be no way to carry our own cross.

Its exciting to see how the world hates us and how the words of Jesus come true.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Atheist groups file lawsuit to remove Ten Commandments Monument at Arkansas State Capitol

** I wanted to point out something I have been observing. In the west and in Europe for the most part, Atheists focuses on removing anything that has to do with Christianity in the public sphere and elsewhere. However when it comes to other religions they are quite okay with them. They don't speak out against them, their focus is just on Christianity.

Some people may say that atheists focus on removing because Christianity has been predominantly the west and Europe and this is why this the focus on Christianity, that is not true. More and more persons are practicing other religions in the west and Europe, entering into public office who have other religious beliefs and atheists do not speak out against them. Why is this happening? This is because they hate Christianity, they don't hate other religions, their main focus is on destroying Christianity. They are not anti-religion, just anti-Christian. Are these atheists even atheists at all?

The city of Vero Beach, Florida, is refusing to cave in to an atheist group's demands that it remove a cross from a veterans memorial that was built over 50 years ago, and has even taken steps to prepare for any potential lawsuit.

According to TCPalm.com, the city's "Lest We Forget" monument, which sits on a 7-acre Veterans Memorial Island Sanctuary and features a 19-inch cross sitting on top, has come under fire from the nation's largest secular legal organization, the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

The Wisconsin-based legal group was contacted by an ex-Christian named Michael Haggerty, a disgruntled resident, which led them to send a letter to Mayor Dick Winger in August, demanding that they remove the cross because, as they claim, it constitutes a violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

"It is unlawful for a city government to display patently religious symbols on city property even to commemorate our veterans," the letter argued. "FFRF has no objection to memorializing veterans. Our objection is to the message of endorsement of religion over non religions. Additionally, this memorial sends the message that the government only cares about the deaths of Christian veterans, not other non-Christian and nonreligious veterans."

City Refuses to Remove Cross From Veterans Memorial After Atheist Group Complains

Examine the list of victories that FFRF has listed. How much of these are targeting non Christian religious beliefs in schools or elsewhere. It is obvious that the main target is Christianity, Christianity, and Christianity, not other religions, just Christianity.

Isnt it funny that the definition of bigotry is to be intolerant of anothers views...

The athiest and the homosexual are the epitamy of bigotry on display by thier intolerance of the views of Christianity

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

That just isn't true. Plenty of Europeans have criticized Islam's presence in public. France had a quite vocal controversy about the hijab worn by Muslim women. Please stop saying blatantly misleading and biased misinformation, just to drive a narrow and misguided narrative of victimization. Bearing false witness is a sin, and it is shameful in the face of real religious persecution in the world.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

To be fair , I bet lot of people would be uncomfortable if they were passing a monument with Suras from the Koran every day and would like to have it removed.

Either religious freedoms and/or restrictions apply to every religion including flying spaghettti monsters, scientology and gazillion of Hindu gods or they do not.

Somehow I perceive that Christians often interpret freedom of religion as being freedom for Christianity not so much for others.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To be fair , I bet lot of people would be uncomfortable if they were passing a monument with Suras from the Koran every day and would like to have it removed.

Either religious freedoms and/or restrictions apply to every religion including flying spaghettti monsters, scientology and gazillion of Hindu gods or they do not.

Somehow I perceive that Christians often interpret freedom of religion as being freedom for Christianity not so much for others.
How is it considered freedom if its being removed against the will of some to cater to the will of someone else

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How is it considered freedom if its being removed against the will of some to cater to the will of someone else

It is freedom of religion if your freedom has the same rights as any other religion. Whatever you like it or not is immaterial as long as the laws are followed.

Don`t like to see statue of Ganesha or Satan on your neighborhood public park ? Most people do not. That why there is laws agains religious stuff being put up on such places.

It is just that Christians often feel they are persecuted when the laws are applied to them instead of someone else. You are not persecuted if you are required to follow the same law as anyone else.

I do not think that anyone has yet shown actually persecution of Christians in the western world where freedom of religion exists ?

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
It is freedom of religion if your freedom has the same rights as any other religion. Whatever you like it or not is immaterial as long as the laws are followed.

Don`t like to see statue of Ganesha or Satan on your neighborhood public park ? Most people do not. That why there is laws agains religious stuff being put up on such places.

It is just that Christians often feel they are persecuted when the laws are applied to them instead of someone else. You are not persecuted if you are required to follow the same law as anyone else.

I do not think that anyone has yet shown actually persecution of Christians in the western world where freedom of religion exists ?

To be honest, taking away our rights to have any statue for our beliefs in God is prosecution.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Ok i see this point .
So who do we favor when ones religious freedoms encroach upon anothers rights to freedom.

I.e. the youtube clip of a certain religioys groups fast days.. Beating the publics carscwith sticks to stop them driving down a public road because it offends thier religious freedoms ...

Crazy crazy all around.

I think the problem really Is.. Sincevwhen was christianity about MY rights....
That's politics
Not bible

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ok i see this point .
So who do we favor when ones religious freedoms encroach upon anothers rights to freedom.

You do not favor anyone. That is kind of the point of those laws. How would courts or anyone judge worth of any 4000+ religions.

Should we have separate laws for each religion ? Shooting infidels is fine if your religion says so ? Beating your kids is ok if they do not obey you because thats what your Holy Book says ? Rape is okay woman is disobedient ? Stoning gays is fine ?

Of course not. That is why smart people separate religion and judicial system. Theocraties do not have great track record.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I did, thanks.

So following the thread ; if there are laws against putting religious statues of public property and a Christian themed statue is removed to comply with the law can you see this is not persecution ?

Just curious.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
So following the thread ; if there are laws against putting religious statues of public property and a Christian themed statue is removed to comply with the law can you see this is not persecution ?

Just curious.

Its a kind of persecution yes, its not crucify you persecution but it is still persecuting my beliefs in God.

But i will gladly be one who will raise there hands to being denied the right to serve God. I will carry that cross all the way preaching truth. Not fighting for my rights in any way but walking the road to Jesus.

• Agree
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It could be freedom to make a show, while the show and tellers are not really living and loving the way Jesus wants. Putting on a display is not the same as living God's way. And ones claim that the United States has been a Christian country. If something is really Christian, God has it work and increase; so if the former Christian culture really was God's way, why is it not now working even more and better????

Actually, now God is succeeding more and more in all which is His doing.

But displaying statues and Commandments and repeating copy-cat prayers in schools is not what changes us into the image of Jesus > Romans 8:29 < which is the basic and main focus of God through all He knows is real Christianity.

My opinion is that some number of people claiming to be atheists are not really concerned with what people are showing for statues and Commandments and prayer saying. But they are upset at how people are using politics to interfere with how worldly people want to get their pleasures. Ones have their preference for pleasure as their treasure, instead of God being their treasure. And they do not like others interfering with them getting their treasure.

If you have a worldly and selfish pleasure which you treasure, possibly you know how you can get very upset and even violent and acting crazy when things effectively mess with your getting whatever you really treasure. This is why we need to deny ourselves > Luke 9:23 > so foolish and selfish pleasures can not have such power over us > "I will not be brought under the power of any," our Apostle Paul does say in 1 Corinthians 6:12.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But they are upset at how people are using politics to interfere with how worldly people want to get their pleasures.

I can see how some people would feel a bit apprehension if religious committees were on charge of arranging pleasures and amusements for people.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

What religious symbols from other religions are on public property? I’m not aware of any.

Upvote 0