2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a big divide between MRA atheists and feminist atheists.

And they accuse us Christians of having tons of different arguing factions...

Interesting. I guess I'll have to take a look at that divide in their ontological thinking. Thanks for the 'heads up,' Strathos! :oldthumbsup: ...and here I was thinking they were all cozying up together at their new atheist churches, holding hands, and all repeating, "Praise be to the awesome Richard Dawkins!" ^_^ ...I guess not. No kissy-kissy, nice-nice there, after all.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
There is a big divide between MRA atheists and feminist atheists..

That's similar to what happened in Europe. Once you reject religion, it doesn't automatically create political harmony, even though the Enlightenment rhetoric often portrayed religious belief as divisive. No, the problem is deeper than that.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And yet this is how so many women talk about men, in print, and it’s considered acceptable.

The point here re. your comment is - so what?

...man, I must spend too much time on CF, because I'm not up on what women are "really saying." ^_^ But, I did find the video by Rachel Oates that I put in the OP interesting.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I don't think being a nice guy means being passive, necessarily.

No, that’s exactly what the “Nice Guy” meme (that the girl in the video is referring to) is.

It refers to a guy who thinks that being nice is sufficient to get noticed and for a relationship to develop. They often aren’t great at taking the initiative (though one argues, why should they - what’s good enough for women is good enough for men) in starting relationships/dates.

I get as passionate as I do about the sneering at nice guys carried out by women like Rachel partly because it’s exactly the sort of mean-spirited comment she whinges about when directed at some women, but mainly because it is just incomplete and untrue, and I know that from my own experience of it.

I was your average nice guy until my early twenties. I can guarantee you, I didn’t feel entitled to anything, let alone sex or a relationship. What also grinds my gears is that the responsibility for this dynamic is placed entirely on the men (though that it in itself is not unusual, it’s a meme created by feminists, who blame all their problems on men anyway and refuse to hold women similarly collectively accountable for their role in various dynamics existing).

What the sneering “you’re just entitled to sex” line totally overlooks is that women often don’t communicate clearly what they do want in a relationship - I have heard, so many times:

“Urgh, guys only want sex.”
“Urgh, guys won’t stop hitting on me.”
“Why can’t I find a nice guy?”
“Why can’t I find a nice guy like you” - this one is the king, it having been said to me on more than one occasion after I had actually bucked the trend a few times at last and made it clear I was interested in the girls who said it.

You may - just may - conclude, having heard plenty of women in your social circles complaining in this way, that you maybe shouldn’t be too forward about wanting sex, about hitting on girls, and that what girls are really after is guys who are “nice” - or maybe not. And you make the mistake of voicing that frustration - oh, and really all you are is a crappy human being who thinks women are machines that dispense sex in exchange for being nice. And then people wonder why guys aren’t willing to talk about their issues.

It’s an age thing, primarily, but it involves crappy communication on both sides - but to address that, we’d have to challenge people of both genders, rather than just blame everything on men. We have spent decades challenging the physical preferences of women in men, how men talk to women, how men look at women - but comparatively, not a peep on how women reinforce plenty of traditional, patriarchal crap that affects how men are perceived in the dating realm. But who would want that? That might mean we talk to women as crappily as we currently do to men.

I would highly recommend (for yourself, and @2PhiloVoid - and anyone else who is interested) an excellent critique of the feminist take on Nice Guys, Scott Alexander’s “Radicalising the Romanceless” at slatestarcodex - not least for an excellent, heartfelt explanation of the dynamic from the guy’s side of things and for dismantling the abject cruelty there is among feminist publications for guys who dare to open up about this stuff. Can’t link, mainly because it involves swears (usually of quotes of feminist websites where they’re being crappy to men who dare to voice dating frustrations).

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, that’s exactly what the “Nice Guy” meme (that the girl in the video is referring to) is.

It refers to a guy who thinks that being nice is sufficient to get noticed and for a relationship to develop. They often aren’t great at taking the initiative (though one argues, why should they - what’s good enough for women is good enough for men) in starting relationships/dates.
That...was...so...me at...age 20. :ahah:

I get as passionate as I do about the sneering at nice guys carried out by women like Rachel partly because it’s exactly the sort of mean-spirited comment she whinges about when directed at some women, but mainly because it is just incomplete and untrue, and I know that from my own experience of it.
Yeah, I can very much understand your position on this, and to some extent, I think you have a point. Of course, it probably didn't help that when I was 20 years old, I had certain 'ideals' that developed in my relational expectations (and dreams) that, come to think of it, were more stringent that my childhood interest in fellow female students at, say, age 9. No, at age 20, my unrealistic ideal became something along the line of a young Linda Carter or Gal Gadot, and somehow, I thought that my being a "nice guy" should (hopefully) bring this dream to fruition....I never minded the reality that I came from a dysfunctional family, had no money and no real work skills to speak of. Oh, and no real social life either. But I held onto the dream of Ms. Ideal---if only I could find and have her, I'd be happy.

Anyway, 3 decades later, I have a more sober view of things again, but it didn't come without lots of psychological and social learning ... and the realization that our social world in many ways is less than ideal and in some ways makes it very difficult to near impossible to achieve "those dreams." Thus, we're all frustrated. Women are frustrated. Men are frustrated. We're all just frustrated; and if not today, we will be 'tomorrow.'

I was your average nice guy until my early twenties. I can guarantee you, I didn’t feel entitled to anything, let alone sex or a relationship. What also grinds my gears is that the responsibility for this dynamic is placed entirely on the men (though that it in itself is not unusual, it’s a meme created by feminists, who blame all their problems on men anyway and refuse to hold women similarly collectively accountable for their role in various dynamics existing).
You're right. These things are bits of frustration for us guys, especially those of us who really did try to be "nice" guys.

What the sneering “you’re just entitled to sex” line totally overlooks is that women often don’t communicate clearly what they do want in a relationship - I have heard, so many times:

“Urgh, guys only want sex.”
“Urgh, guys won’t stop hitting on me.”
“Why can’t I find a nice guy?”
“Why can’t I find a nice guy like you” - this one is the king, it having been said to me on more than one occasion after I had actually bucked the trend a few times at last and made it clear I was interested in the girls who said it.
....Lol! You may have to explain this set of critiques to me, because I wasn't one of those for whom woman ever plainly (or really) said to me, "You're just entitled to sex." As far as I could tell back then, it was never on option on the menus that were presented to me by the women I encountered. :rolleyes:

You may - just may - conclude, having heard plenty of women in your social circles complaining in this way, that you maybe shouldn’t be too forward about wanting sex, about hitting on girls, and that what girls are really after is guys who are “nice” - or maybe not. And you make the mistake of voicing that frustration - oh, and really all you are is a crappy human being who thinks women are machines that dispense sex in exchange for being nice. And then people wonder why guys aren’t willing to talk about their issues.
Maybe it's just that our Playboy ridden society sucks and...nobody really knows what they're doing anymore. :rolleyes:

It’s an age thing, primarily, but it involves crappy communication on both sides - but to address that, we’d have to challenge people of both genders, rather than just blame everything on men. We have spent decades challenging the physical preferences of women in men, how men talk to women, how men look at women - but comparatively, not a peep on how women reinforce plenty of traditional, patriarchal crap that affects how men are perceived in the dating realm. But who would want that? That might mean we talk to women as crappily as we currently do to men.
Yes, communication is very important. You hit that nail on the head, but sometimes there's more than meets the eye here...kind of like this (2 minutes long): ^_^

I would highly recommend (for yourself, and @2PhiloVoid - and anyone else who is interested) an excellent critique of the feminist take on Nice Guys, Scott Alexander’s “Radicalising the Romanceless” at slatestarcodex - not least for an excellent, heartfelt explanation of the dynamic from the guy’s side of things and for dismantling the abject cruelty there is among feminist publications for guys who dare to open up about this stuff. Can’t link, mainly because it involves swears (usually of quotes of feminist websites where they’re being crappy to men who dare to voice dating frustrations).
I'll have to look that article up.

Thanks for more great comments, Gadarene! Good Stuff!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gadarene
Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
A fair bit of the back-and-forth re. Atheist takes on this stuff needs unpicking here, hence all the quotes, and I’ll try and make this as clear as I can, as there is a lot of intertwined history and conflicting agendas in play here.

That's an interesting view on this material. What do you think of Rachel Oates criticisms of Justin in her video? Is she right? Or, is she overreacting? I ask because I notice you've identified yourself as an atheist and Rachel is an atheist, not a Christian. So, I'm wondering what atheistic men think about these issues, too. ;)

There isn’t going to be common atheist thought on much, given that the only commonality is the lack of belief in deities.

What is more meaningful here, at least as regards Rachel’s tendency to sneer at nice guys in a fashion that is filled with feminist cliche, is the feminist/nonfeminist divide. (I don’t know if she actually does consider herself a feminist, but the sneering at nice guys is textbook feminist behaviour, so even though she may not be one, her thinking has clearly been influenced by them on this particular topic we are discussing).

I’d like to point out at this point that I used the term “feminist/nonfeminist divide” for a reason, mainly because of comments like the following that show up regular as clockwork:

There is a big divide between MRA atheists and feminist atheists.

There isn’t really a big “MRA atheist” contigent. It should also be realised that for some people inclined to feminism or to reflexively defend it, “MRA” is a term thrown at anyone who challenges feminism. It stands for Men’s Rights Activist - basically think loudmouth radicals but focused on men’s issues rather than women’s issues, race issues etc. There is nothing especially wrong with this, structural issues against men exist, and MRAs do the same as what every other radical equality group does, but the mere existence of them causes women’s issues types to lose their goshdarn minds. They are a minority viewpoint but they have been deemed wrong by the more influential movement of feminism to the point where MRAs have been regularly denied platforms in the press, in universities, due to no-platforming campaigns driven by- yet again - feminists. To call someone an MRA when they are not is usually little more than an attempt to bypass the argument and dismiss them without actually addressing what it is they have to say. (It’s a bit of an odd approach, seeing as feminism is still a minority viewpoint - most people in the US and UK believe in equality but most don’t want to to ID as feminist. This would indicate there is some difference between what people consider equality to be and what feminism is actually doing - so maybe this might be cause for feminists to self-reflect, but there I go again on my dreamy little tangents.)

To go back to what I was saying before, there isn’t commonality between atheists other than the lack of belief in deities. A more productive discussion may revolve around the “sceptic” community. Atheist scepticism has a set of common standards beyond lack of belief in deities - the idea is rationalism, empiricism, openness to debate, evidence-based policy, that sort of thing.

There is, however, a substantial divide between non-feminist atheist sceptics and feminist atheist sceptics (I’m in the former camp). The closest there was to an atheist movement was the sceptic movement, which did involve the four horsemen, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, etc.

There was a fairly acrimonious split around 2011, nicknamed “Elevatorgate” - a good summary is on FreethoughtKampala. Again, swears - PM me if you want links. In essence, the problem boiled down to the fact that disagreement with the feminist sceptics was met with spurious accusations of hating women, and dissent from feminist views was banned from their websites - even though we all regularly denounced creationists who often resorted to banning unwelcome views from their websites, and who conflated criticism of their beliefs with personal attack. This furore did eventually drag in Richard Dawkins, and I think some of the feminist sceptics sensed a chance to try and unseat one of the horsemen and to make a name for themselves.

The problem, ultimately, is that feminism very often isn’t compatible with scepticism- it’s an ideology of its own as opposed to trying to approach things in a detached, neutral way. It is also pretty darn censorious, which is a red rag to a bull given that at the time, atheism was very concerned about freedom to dissent from dogmatic views, such as prescriptive religious ones.

In the atheist world, the schism ended up favouring the nonfeminist sceptics, but one can argue it hardly matters seeing as there are now censorious feminists (unwilling to criticise their own beliefs but very willing to impose them on others) bloody everywhere, like a disease. They won the battle, but are losing the war. I abandoned feminism personally after this, mainly after I saw the feminist sceptics defending a meme called “Schrodinger’s Rapist”, which basically is sexist profiling of men - treat all men as potential rapists just in case. Which, as I have said many times already, would be considered unacceptable if you stereotyped women in that way. This feminist behaviour was the first time I’d seen anything like this, but I initially felt it was a one-off and if not then very limited in scope. Then I saw the same thing happening in American Sci-fi writing, video gaming - then it suddenly burst out into the wider culture war in universities and politics. And I still maintain that feminism is a wholly inadequate viewpoint in many respects. This isn’t to say I’m against gender equality, simply that feminism is so riven with inequality that it doesn’t deserve to be considered as the vanguard of trying to achieve gender equality.

(This is, incidentally, the way I feel about religions - it’s not that they don’t address some genuine needs and issues, and not everything that have done is wrong - but they vastly overstate the significance, accuracy and applicability of their own ideas, and in doing so fall so far short they are inherently inadequate and unfit for purpose. In suggesting an alternative I am not saying we do away with the good ideals those belief systems hold but that we transcend them, that we can so easily do so much better than them.)

If you want to go through the main forums where the atheist-sceptic schism occurred, they would be Pharyngula (PZ Myers’ blog) and the slymepit (spinoff board started by Abby Smith to criticise Myers and co after they banned critics of feminism). Proceed at your own risk and abandon hope all ye who enter there ;)

And they accuse us Christians of having tons of different arguing factions...

(Just to puncture this little jibe, the reason Christians get criticised for having tons of different arguing factions is because you claim to have access to an omniscient deity. Given that, there is no reason you should have disunity. I fully expect Christianity as a group to have the same splits as any other body of people because it’s composed of human beings, but that’s the point - human beings, human beings only, and no gods involved.)

Interesting. I guess I'll have to take a look at that divide in their ontological thinking. Thanks for the 'heads up,' Strathos! :oldthumbsup: ...and here I was thinking they were all cozying up together at their new atheist churches, holding hands, and all repeating, "Praise be to the awesome Richard Dawkins!" ^_^ ...I guess not. No kissy-kissy, nice-nice there, after all.

Most atheists won’t be involved in the drama I mentioned, it was relatively contained, and applies mainly to the sceptic movement which was the closest thing atheism has to a movement, but does involve some add-ons.

Currently Dawkins tends to get no-platformed now and again by other atheists/secularists for “Islamophobia” which given his comments about Christianity is absolutely preposterous - the guy is nothing if not consistent on that one.

That's similar to what happened in Europe. Once you reject religion, it doesn't automatically create political harmony, even though the Enlightenment rhetoric often portrayed religious belief as divisive. No, the problem is deeper than that.

To a point, but I would argue a big part of the reason why feminism gets many atheists’ backs up (as it certainly does mine) is because it riffs so strongly off dynamics many of them will have experienced in the church and hated it.

Male privilege is like original sin.
If you criticise the belief system, or put a foot wrong, you’re a sinner/misogynist - and definitely don’t expect an honest debate about the flaws in the belief system!
If you sin, you must publicly proclaim your guilt and repent.
The patriarchy is everywhere, and is responsible for all things. Should this yield contradiction or inadequate explanation, the patriarchy is so insidious / the patriarchy works in mysterious ways.

To summarise in a meme, here is why many atheists don’t like feminism:

9cda972296aa2f443e2f703b8115bec6b9385cf40d3e2248d04119487ec506d2.jpg

No-one is putting me through that again. I did not spend years deprogramming myself from Christianity only to fall for the same nonsense again in secular garb.

The problem was there were people calling themselves sceptics that still wanted to behave in exactly the same religious behaviours and thinking we were trying to rid ourselves of. The consequences and outworkings of these ideas were the same too - inescapable guilt, sex-negativity, controlling micromanagement of normal human feelings and behaviour.

I would recommend a piece on this called “Excommunicate Me From The Church of Social Justice” on autostraddle by Frances Lee.

...man, I must spend too much time on CF, because I'm not up on what women are "really saying." ^_^ But, I did find the video by Rachel Oates that I put in the OP interesting.

I’d take a look at the slatestarcodex piece as it has some examples of the sort of viciousness women will get away with when talking about men - doesn’t mean they don’t get pushback, but if I wrote some of the things I’ve seen written about men about women instead and under my own name, I’d be sacked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
That...was...so...me at...age 20.

I think every guy’s been there at some point. Those that get stuck in it for longer usually have social anxiety and/or low self-esteem as comorbidities.

Yeah, I can very much understand your position on this, and to some extent, I think you have a point. Of course, if probably didn't help that when I 20 years old, I had certain 'ideals' that developed in my relational expectations (and dreams) that, come to think of it, were more stringent that my childhood interest in fellow female students at, say, age 9. No, at age 20, my unrealistic ideal became something along the line of a young Linda Carter or Gal Gadot, and somehow, I thought that my being a "nice guy" should (hopefully) bring this dream to fruition....I never minded the reality that I came from a dysfunctional family, had no money and no real work skills to speak of. Oh, and no real social life either. But I held onto the dream of Ms. Ideal---if only I could find and have her, I'd be happy.

See, I don’t think guys in practice think simply being nice will get them Wonder Woman. Equally, I’d argue that women, given a combination of factors such as relative demand for sex, biological disparities regarding pregnancy, and norms regarding initiation of sexual/romantic activities, are going to find it much easier getting any kind of male attention than men will, on average, at getting any kind of female attention.

What I think happens in guys’ heads in practice is closer to what Scott Alexander lays out - and I’m going to quote this here in full (it’s a long piece, so suspect I’m not violating the rule on long quotations of copyrighted work ^_^ - bolding is mine)

“I had a patient, let’s call him ‘Henry’ for reasons that are to become clear, who came to hospital after being picked up for police for beating up his fifth wife.

So I asked the obvious question: “What happened to your first four wives?”

“Oh,” said the patient, “Domestic violence issues. Two of them left me. One of them I got put in jail, and she’d moved on once I got out. One I just grew tired of.”

“You’ve beaten up all five of your wives?” I asked in disbelief.

“Yeah,” he said, without sounding very apologetic.

“And why, exactly, were you beating your wife this time?” I asked.

“She was yelling at me, because I was cheating on her with one of my exes.”

“With your ex-wife? One of the ones you beat up?”

“Yeah.”

“So you beat up your wife, she left you, you married someone else, and then she came back and had an affair on the side with you?” I asked him.

“Yeah,” said Henry.

I wish, I wish I wish, that Henry was an isolated case. But he’s interesting more for his anomalously high number of victims than for the particular pattern.

When I was younger – and I mean from teeanger hood all the way until about three years ago – I was a ‘nice guy’. And I said the same thing as every other nice guy, which is “I am a nice guy, how come girls don’t like me?”

There seems to be some confusion about this, so let me explain what it means, to everyone, for all time.

It does not mean “I am nice in some important cosmic sense, therefore I am entitled to sex with whomever I want.”

It means: “I am a nicer guy than Henry.”

Or to spell it out very carefully, Henry clearly has no trouble attracting partners. He’s been married five times and had multiple extra-marital affairs and pre-marital partners, many of whom were well aware of his past domestic violence convictions and knew exactly what they were getting into. Meanwhile, here I was, twenty-five years old, never been on a date in my life, every time I ask someone out I get laughed at, I’m constantly teased and mocked for being a virgin and a nerd whom no one could ever love, starting to develop a serious neurosis about it.

And here I was, tried my best never to be mean to anyone, pursued a productive career, worked hard to help all of my friends. I didn’t think I deserved to have the prettiest girl in school prostrate herself at my feet. But I did think I deserved to not be doing worse than Henry.

No, I didn’t know Henry at the time. But everyone knows a Henry. Most people know several. Even three years ago, I knew there were Henry-like people – your abusers, your rapists, your bullies – and it wasn’t hard to notice that none of them seemed to be having the crushing loneliness problem I was suffering from.

And, like my patient Dan, I just wanted to know – how is this fair?

And I made the horrible mistake of asking this question out loud, and that was how I learned about social justice.”

Ultimately, obviously there’s more to attracting women than “being nice”. But the specifics often aren’t forthcoming from women, and also I will note again - we haven’t even begun to interrogate, critique and deconstruct women’s preferences in men, their reinforcement of male conventional attractiveness norms, their reinforcement of traditional gender norms that benefit women, certainly not those in the dating sphere. I can understand why women are reluctant to do this, it wasn’t comfortable when men had to do the same regarding how they saw women. But equality demands we hold women to the same standards - if men can face up to this stuff, why can’t women?

Anyway, 3 decades later, I have a more sober view of things again, but it didn't come without lots of psychological and social learning ... and the realization that our social world in many ways is less than ideal and in some ways makes it very difficult to near impossible to achieve "those dreams." Thus, we're all frustrated. Women are frustrated. Men are frustrated. We're all just frustrated; and if not today, we will be 'tomorrow.'

Of course we are. But again, I’d argue that women get to vent frustration about men far more often than the reverse. Generalisation of women = sexism, generalisation of men = business as usual. When women are held back in dating by dynamics regarding how men communicate and perceive women, there is sympathy for them, certainly among the gender equality brigade. When men feel the same thing, cue “REEEEE YOU’RE JUST ACTING ENTITLED TO SEX”.

You're right. These things are bits of frustration for us guys, especially those of us who really did try to be "nice" guys.

It is not even that, for me - it’s that if they are unwilling to tolerate generalisations or harsh criticism of women as a group, there’s no way I’m going to tolerate their generalisations and harsh criticism of men. If this is a discussion between equals, then let’s actually have that.

....Lol! You may have to explain this set of critiques to me, because I wasn't one of those for whom woman ever plainly (or really) said to me, "You're just entitled to sex." As far as I could tell back then, it was never on option on the menus that were presented to me by the women I encountered.

To be clear, the entitled-to-sex line doesn’t come up from women being approached by men. It is a term that comes up when discussing gender dynamics, when men vent their frustrations about how women (don’t) communicate, as I’ve given personal examples of. As I said, there are examples of this sort of commentary in Scott Alexander’s piece.

Note how there is no “Nice Girl” meme. Note how these people never go around accusing women of being entitled to sex from men.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rivga

Jan 31, 2018
Lonfon
✟21,666.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Meanwhile, here I was, twenty-five years old, never been on a date in my life, every time I ask someone out I get laughed at, I’m constantly teased and mocked for being a virgin and a nerd whom no one could ever love, starting to develop a serious neurosis about it.

You break the Cycle? Are you good now?

There exists a massive amounts of hypocrisy within the feminist movement, certainly here in the West. It is important to realise that the Hypocrisy is due to the human condition, the Movement itself is a worthy cause for both Males and Females alike.

If your still in the above position then I have a way you can kill two birds with one stone.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
You break the Cycle? Are you good now?

That was a quote from someone else. I didn’t have it nearly as bad.

There exists a massive amounts of hypocrisy within the feminist movement, certainly here in the West. It is important to realise that the Hypocrisy is due to the human condition, the Movement itself is a worthy cause for both Males and Females alike.

I agree to a point, but that movement seeks to dictate which movements may or may not exist, while ignoring the hypocrisy and hatred in its own ranks. In addition, when the core virtue of a movement is equality, hypocrisy flies in direct contradiction to that. A movement based on equality that cannot actively minimise hypocrisy is effectively useless.

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
And yet this is how so many women talk about men, in print, and it’s considered acceptable.

The point here re. your comment is - so what?

I answered the OPs question. I am not responsible to answer for every badly written article by women about men.

If you have a specific question, start a thread.

Otherwise, grind your axe with someone else please.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I answered the OPs question. I am not responsible to answer for every badly written article by women about men.

I didn’t say you were responsible to answer for them - do feel entirely free to quote me where I asked you that. I’m asking why men should care about your point, given the context I mentioned.

If you have a specific question, start a thread.

I’ll respond to points as and when I please, thank you very much.

Otherwise, grind your axe with someone else please.

It’s a simple question. In your own time.

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I didn’t say you were responsible to answer for them - do feel entirely free to quote me where I asked you that. I’m asking why men should care about your point, given the context I mentioned.

I’ll respond to points as and when I please, thank you very much.

It’s a simple question. In your own time.

You didn't respond to any salient point. I answered the OPs question about a video. There is no reason why men should care what I think about a YouTube video. I don't recall suggesting they should.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
You didn't respond to any salient point. I answered the OPs question about a video. There is no reason why men should care what I think about a YouTube video. I don't recall suggesting they should.

Evidently not, given the ignorance of context and the lack of support it has.

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Evidently not, given the ignorance of context and the lack of support it has.

That you want to take every personal observation and extrapolate it into a larger discussion of hypocritical women and the heck that they have wrought is your bag (baggage?) not mine.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
That you want to take every personal observation and extrapolate it into a larger discussion of hypocritical women and the heck that they have wrought is your bag (baggage?) not mine.

This coming from the one who played the “oooh he’s creepy” card based on, er, personal observations? Check the plank in your eye.

Couldn’t possibly have any baggage in play yourself, oh no. Man bad, woman good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rivga

Jan 31, 2018
Lonfon
✟21,666.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A movement based on equality that cannot actively minimise hypocrisy is effectively useless.

As I said before, Humans & Hypocrisy inherently linked, and it is an fantasy to think that anyone could Police such a movement, it has no central control. I mean we cannot take Hypocrisy out of political parties and that does have central control and a method of policing itself.

You support Labour - the amount of hypocrisy in that party currently is amazing, but the over riding principles of that party mean that it is worth engaging in and represents the UKs best chance for a more equal society and calling out the hypocrisy from the inside.
Because what is the alternative?

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
As I said before, Humans & Hypocrisy inherently linked, and it is an fantasy to think that anyone could Police such a movement, it has no central control. I mean we cannot take Hypocrisy out of political parties and that does have central control and a method of policing itself.

If that’s not possible, then that’s fine - then the feminists need to stop acting like they have the right to dictate which other movements may or may not persist, and to face up to the scrutiny their ideas deserve.

You support Labour - the amount of hypocrisy in that party currently is amazing, but the over riding principles of that party mean that it is worth engaging in and represents the UKs best chance for a more equal society and calling out the hypocrisy from the inside.
Because what is the alternative?

That hypocrisy is not necessarily connected with what Labour is essentially for, however.

If it seeks to be egalitarian and fails to be consistent it will only cause itself to collapse.

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
This coming from the one who played the “oooh he’s creepy” card based on, er, personal observations? Check the plank in your eye.

Couldn’t possibly have any baggage in play yourself, oh no. Man bad, woman good.

I didn't say the pastor was creepy. I said he gave me bad vibes based off of what he said. I also said that he

I didn't say the pastor was creepy. I said he gave me bad vibes based off of his statements. The creepy remark was in reference to men I've known who made similar complaints to the ones he relayed.

Women and men suck equally, always have. Probably always will.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is more meaningful here, at least as regards Rachel’s tendency to sneer at nice guys in a fashion that is filled with feminist cliche, is the feminist/nonfeminist divide. (I don’t know if she actually does consider herself a feminist, but the sneering at nice guys is textbook feminist behaviour, so even though she may not be one, her thinking has clearly been influenced by them on this particular topic we are discussing).

I’d like to point out at this point that I used the term “feminist/nonfeminist divide” for a reason, mainly because of comments like the following that show up regular as clockwork:

Yeah, I don't think atheist Rachel Oates counts as a 'rabid' 2nd Wave feminist. Here are her own words on this:

So, while I empathize with all of my fellow "nice-guys" and the frustrations we've faced in the past (or present) in finding romance and relationship (R&R) with people of the opposite sex, I also am questioning the extent to which the extreme form of Feminism is worming its way through the Western paradigm of Western women.

I'm also questioning whether a moderate atheist view on R&R is any better or more ethical or moral than a Christian view on R&R?

I personally do think a Christian view is the "better" one, although I'd add the qualifiers of either "sensible," or "wise," or "educated" to the whole notion of a Christian view on R&R. The funny thing is, at the moment, and even as a Christian, I can see that some things Rachel says are cogent and appropriate to ANY relationship, and I can see a few things that are at least built into Justin's intentions in the OP video that also would be helpful all in all for ANY relationship.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
IMO, people are attracted to others of certain traits, based on deep seated needs they develop over their lifetime.

Some of those needs are healthy, some not so much, which is why some people, keep having relationships with those who are more harmful to a relationship.

Upvote 0