Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
As a fellow Canadian I can tell you that the United Church is an utter joke. They don't even seem to have any actual theology beyond "we accept gay people because the other bigoted churches won't".

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I shouldn't have to believe in "medicine" to be a doctor. It's enough for me to appreciate what doctors who did believe in "medicine" have done for me in the past to secure a position in the field.

The existence of medicine is quantifiable. The existence of God is a matter of faith. The two are not comparable in the context you claim.

As a fellow Canadian I can tell you that the United Church is an utter joke. They don't even seem to have any actual theology beyond "we accept gay people because the other bigoted churches won't".

Sounds like Lutherans.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Is it just me or does it make no sense at all? I think I can unfortunately the court ruling, but I am not understanding her theology whatsoever. Am I missing something? :scratch:

Atheist United Church minister to keep her job at Toronto congregation

"The dance between these core values, how they interact with and inform each other, is one that we continue to explore as followers of Jesus and children of the creator,” he said"

I'm glad there's no "dancing" in Orthodoxy.

For those of you who don't know, there is a ceremony in the Orthodox Church that is followed when a priest, bishop, etc., is laicized. He stands in front of an ecclesiastical court, holding the gospel. It is literally yanked from his hands.

The Church does not dance.

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I shouldn't have to believe in "medicine" to be a doctor. It's enough for me to appreciate what doctors who did believe in "medicine" have done for me in the past to secure a position in the field.
Sowing confusion is a great sin !!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,342.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We have to tolerate anything and everything now days. No lines can be drawn, no limits are imposed.

I do wonder at the future of liberal Protestantism if even their leaders don't believe what they are supposed to stand for.

• Agree
Reactions: MariaJLM
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The existence of medicine is quantifiable. The existence of God is a matter of faith. The two are not comparable in the context you claim.

Sounds like Lutherans.

They sound like Unitarians to me, but I could be wrong.

What We Believe

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,926,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I do wonder at the future of liberal Protestantism if even their leaders don't believe what they are supposed to stand for.
That thought reminds me of this short article from the Bee (a group that produces religious satire that often hits a little to close to the mark to be funny, but this one is :)).

Liberal Christian Attempts To Debate Atheist,
But They Just Agree On Everything

November 27th, 2017

article-1454.jpg

SHERWOOD, OR—Local progressive believer Danielle Mason reportedly attempted to debate atheist Lucas Peterson on the various ideas including the existence of God at a local coffee shop Sunday evening, but ended up agreeing with him on every point.

The two were surprised to find themselves in agreement on the inspiration of Scripture, the relevance of divine revelation, errors in the Bible, the creation account, and the exclusivity of Christ, among dozens of additional topics, sources confirmed.

“I don’t believe in God,” the atheist began before laying out his case for the lack of any real deity as the progressive believer nodded in agreement the whole time.

“I guess I don’t believe in God either, at least not in any concrete way,” Mason said pensively during her allotted 15-minute response time. “At least, I don’t think I do. What does it all even mean, anyway?”

At one point, Mason attempted to argue for the need for biblical morality in the present age, but realized she didn’t believe in that either and backed off.

At publishing time, Mason had realized she was just an atheist who liked the church’s social programs and sense of belonging, “just like Jesus was.”

Liberal Christian Attempts To Debate Atheist But They Just Agree On Everything

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

We have people like that...they're called homeopaths and chiropractors lol.
(minus the appreciating what real doctors do, of course)

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
At the end of the day, can't each church decide what their own requirements are?

If you're going to tell one group "your 100% opinion-based philosophical meetings qualifies for tax exemption", not sure how you could deny that to someone else.

Upvote 0