Bentonville
✟8,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey. My name is Micha and I have dilemma. So basically, I have three really good friends, I will use aliases for their names because I don't want to expose them.

I have three friends at school that I met about a school year ago. They're really nice and fun to be around and we hang out and laugh with each other a lot, however, their atheists.

They basically have the same reasons for being atheists; one of their parents are Christian so they go to church every once in a while but for some reason, but both of my friends to believe it. But, like I said, they go to church every ONCE in a while. And then one of them, her father is a "Quaker" and believes that ALL beings are equal, none is higher than the other. I'm a very strong teenage Christian.

I feel like there's something I should do and God put me in their life for this reason probably, but I don't know what do. Public school is a very mixed place, full of different skin colors, sexualities, religions, etc. These are my only atheist friends, and I don't know what to do about it. I told myself that I don't care about other people's beliefs as long as they don't argue or ridicule mine.

1. Anyway, so my friend Emily is a problematic atheist. She is often depressed and has almost walked off the edge many times. However, she feels like she can trust me because I'm there for her no matter what. She calls me "mom" which is a thing we made up together. I sometimes say "You need Jesus." when she talks to me about her problems, but she's speechless after that. She seems really happy around me because I hang out with her and always seem to have answer to her problems. I really want to help her, but I don't know what do.

2. My other friend Michael is an atheist and it doesn't really show. We laugh together in my Spanish class and is very funny. Today, in particular, my friend (she's a Christian) reminded me that he was atheist. Now, this kind of bothered me. I did know this for a while, like the other two, but like I just let it slip away. Now that I was reminded of it, it had me thinking that I must do SOMETHING about it.

3. Finally, my last friend Jane, both her and her dad are Quakers, or that's what she said. Basically, she believes that everyone is equal and there is no higher power. Again, I let this slip away so that it wouldn't bother me. She's a really good friend, she's really nice to me and we laugh, but I just can't help notice something is missing.

Do you guys have a solution to my problem? I don't know what to do about it because they said they wouldn't argue or ridicule, so I can't either. Is there some sort of way I can inch towards that subject without offending anyone? My parents taught me that one of my many purposes is to spread the gospel, but I'm scared of how my friends would react. Please help.

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hey. My name is Micha and I have dilemma. So basically, I have three really good friends, I will use aliases for their names because I don't want to expose them.

I have three friends at school that I met about a school year ago. They're really nice and fun to be around and we hang out and laugh with each other a lot, however, their atheists.

They basically have the same reasons for being atheists; one of their parents are Christian so they go to church every once in a while but for some reason, but both of my friends to believe it. But, like I said, they go to church every ONCE in a while. And then one of them, her father is a "Quaker" and believes that ALL beings are equal, none is higher than the other. I'm a very strong teenage Christian.

I feel like there's something I should do and God put me in their life for this reason probably, but I don't know what do. Public school is a very mixed place, full of different skin colors, sexualities, religions, etc. These are my only atheist friends, and I don't know what to do about it. I told myself that I don't care about other people's beliefs as long as they don't argue or ridicule mine.

1. Anyway, so my friend Emily is a problematic atheist. She is often depressed and has almost walked off the edge many times. However, she feels like she can trust me because I'm there for her no matter what. She calls me "mom" which is a thing we made up together. I sometimes say "You need Jesus." when she talks to me about her problems, but she's speechless after that. She seems really happy around me because I hang out with her and always seem to have answer to her problems. I really want to help her, but I don't know what do.

2. My other friend Michael is an atheist and it doesn't really show. We laugh together in my Spanish class and is very funny. Today, in particular, my friend (she's a Christian) reminded me that he was atheist. Now, this kind of bothered me. I did know this for a while, like the other two, but like I just let it slip away. Now that I was reminded of it, it had me thinking that I must do SOMETHING about it.

3. Finally, my last friend Jane, both her and her dad are Quakers, or that's what she said. Basically, she believes that everyone is equal and there is no higher power. Again, I let this slip away so that it wouldn't bother me. She's a really good friend, she's really nice to me and we laugh, but I just can't help notice something is missing.

Do you guys have a solution to my problem? I don't know what to do about it because they said they wouldn't argue or ridicule, so I can't either. Is there some sort of way I can inch towards that subject without offending anyone? My parents taught me that one of my many purposes is to spread the gospel, but I'm scared of how my friends would react. Please help.
Pray for them.

Act lovingly towards them without judgment but without compromising your own values. Living a Christian example will go a long way to establishing credibility with the unbelieving.

When religious and spiritual topics come up in conversation, be prepared to explain and defend your faith. But remember that it is only your job to present the good news - God Himself takes it upon Him to effect the change in one’s heart. Christianity is by invitation, not coercion.

Pray for them.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is there some sort of way I can inch towards that subject without offending anyone?
Just keep teaching them the truth that we find in the Bible and living the Christian life as an example for them. Usually atheists know nothing. I have know atheists with a PhD in science but the know almost nothing about the bible. They usually put very little time and very little effort into their atheism. God will leave people alone if it is just them. He will get involved if they are trying to lead other people astray. He does not allow people to be a bad example to others for very long.

• Haha
Reactions: WDSobieski
Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Girl. You have a caring heart for your friends. That's a good thing with all the disrespect in the world these days. I can share a story about me when I was a teen. I was really confused. The problem was there wasn't anyone around to talk about God with, and I didn't know how to hear the good news from the Bible, so although I had one and read it, it wasn't something at that point could understand. The local churches had social events, but none of the kids who went there were acquainted with the reality that knowing Jesus is the answer to the mess we can make of life. At one point I ran into an old guy friend I hadn't seen in a year or so - who had just been an "I'm here" kind of friend before - and that friend had come to Jesus in the meantime. We had a lot of conversations. There was never any arguing, no putting down, just questions and talking. The main thing was that the guy friend could reference scripture verses. So when I'd say philosophical things like, "I think God is like a straight, white line, and if you do more good than evil, you're OK," he'd comment something like, "That's an interesting concept and I can understand your perspective. But the Scriptures say in Romans 2.16 that God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, or in Romans 5.8, that God shows us His love in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Maybe those aren't the best examples, but it was something along those lines. I'd then have a place to start reading along with an idea that I wanted to check out - did the Bible actually say that or was he twisting words? So little bit by little bit, I started reading with more understanding and realized that the Bible really has a dynamic, life changing message. It's the same message everyone needs, and your heart already know your friends need it. My friend was just honest, and he was knowledgeable to what the Scriptures said and where to find it. That took some studying on his part. And he was kind and a caring person. He never used his friendship as an opportunity to cause me to stumble.

So I'd say that if you can be a friend like that, you are in a position to take advantage of opportunities to share the good news which is indeed the answer to the needs in your friends' lives. 1 Peter 3.15 says to sanctify (set apart and respect as holy) the Lord God in your hearts and always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness ad fear, having a good conscience. Your life example and your ability to point them to the words that the Lord God and the Lord Jesus Christ speak about life will help them see and understand for themselves, and as you know, that's the point. Study the Scriptures. What others believe and even what other churches teach doesn't have bearing, but what God says does. Then be ready when the situation comes up, as it will. Speak in love and don't be afraid. Keep loving, and keep speaking as He prompts you. It's not ever about winning an argument, it's about being a resource to others to find answers for life. Before you can help your friends, you have to help you, like the oxygen mask in the airplane emergency instructions. Submit your life to hearing and obeying what God has already showed us in His word and especially how Jesus showed us how it works out in life, putting first His kingdom and His righteousness, and then live that message among your friends.

Best to you, GirlofGod243!

Upvote 0

LiquidCat

Nov 14, 2019
Warsaw
✟10,163.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Well your job is to give them gospel of salvation "you need Jesus " is not gospel it's like a good start but you are not giving any reasons for them why.
Basically all you can do is to tell them that Jesus came from heaven to save us by offering himself as sacrifice for sins and all sins were paid off when he was sacrificed on cross and that enabled God to give us eternal life so if they want to have one they can believe and have one if not they simply will not and will have eternal death after they die.

Thats all you can do, you plant a seed by doing so then maybe in 10-20-30 years from now on and various other Christians on their path in their life will make them question their belief and changed it.
Your job is not to change their worldview it's Holy Spirit Job to do it you simply give good news.

If you are friends with them you shouldnt be scared to do it or else you aren't really a friend since friend would save other friend from being hurt if they could prevent it. But you are trying which is good.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Listen to her. She's trusting you with her pain, so don't be judgmental, and do not betray her trust. If it's pain beyond pain that you have dealt with, it's often better to say few words or even nothing, as long as she knows that you're there for her. General rule of thumb - if you wouldn't want someone from a different religious outlook or a different way of life to come at you a certain way if you were in your friend's situation, don't do it to your friend. Pray for her, invite her to safe Christian events you think she might enjoy, you might ask her if you can share something additional before you share it. Also, if you see her making a mistake, master the art of attacking the mistake rather than the person making it, framing it in a way that you're looking out for her rather than attacking her. Something like, "I noticed you did X earlier, and I'm concerned because when many people do X, (insert the very bad consequence of X here) happens to them, and I don't want to see that happen to you. Especially because you said you wanted to have A, B, and C which you can't do if (insert the very bad consequence of X here) happens." And again, pray for her and good opportunities to verbally share the Gospel as well.

Continue to be genuine. Pray for him, for opportunities to verbally share the Gospel with him. Ask him if you can pray for him or his family.

Continue to be genuine. Pray for her, for opportunities to verbally share the Gospel with her. Ask her if you can pray for her or her family. If she comes out with that belief that everyone is equal and there is no higher power, ask her why. And ask "why" for her reasons for the answer she gives. I recommend reading up on apologetics and critical thinking so that you can be ready for those answers, but do resist any urge to weaponize them. People who are new to getting into apologetics and debating often are tempted to weaponize the arguments they agree with. Don't use them that way. They're tools, and they're reasons, not hammers and rocks to hit people with.

• Useful
Reactions: GirlofGod243
Upvote 0

Nancy Hale

Dec 29, 2019
Nevada
✟24,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
3. Finally, my last friend Jane, both her and her dad are Quakers, or that's what she said. Basically, she believes that everyone is equal and there is no higher power. Again, I let this slip away so that it wouldn't bother me. She's a really good friend, she's really nice to me and we laugh, but I just can't help notice something is miss.
Quakers believe believers are equal, no believer is higher than another. They don't believe in an elevated priesthood, but they do believe in Christ, in the Trinity.
Maybe you misunderstood? Or, possibly you friend does. How many kids think Jesus is nice and God is mean, especially in hell fire & brimstone type denominations. I'm not a Quaker, but I've read about them.
I bet if you ask your friend a different way you might find you can take her off your list. Also, Google "what do Quakers believe"

• Informative
Reactions: GirlofGod243
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
don't know what to do about it because they said they wouldn't argue or ridicule, so I can't either. Is there some sort of way I can inch towards that subject without offending anyone? My parents taught me that one of my many purposes is to spread the gospel, but I'm scared of how my friends would react. Please help.

May I suggest apart from being a good friend who is there for them, that you also ask them questions.
When, if they make a religious statement be prepared to ask' why do you say/ believe that?'
The follow up question is ' What evidence do you have for that?'

These are not threatening questions, they let your friends talk about their beliefs, while also asking whether they are reasonable.
Your friends will quickly catch on to these questions and will use them on you.
So be sure that you can give reasons for and why you believe. You will also be talking about Christianity.

Sites like coldcasechristianity and answersingenesis are good for articles about the authority and reliability of scripture.
If you can't answer there question, admit it and use the internet and your pastor to get answers. Yes if on Monday you can't answer a question email your pastor, it is part of his job to answer questions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums