Atheism is amoral

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,344.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
There are less then 30 million Sikhs compared to more than 2 billion professing Christians, including that Jesus testifies that many who call Him Lord and present themselves as His followers are in fact workers of lawlessness which He will deny with words "Depart from me, I never knew you." So it's not really a thing to compare offhand.

Your logical fallacy is bandwagon

Atheism denies sovereign being who created the universe and life so as a consequence it accepts nothingness and chance as fundamental principles governing existence. From those fundamental principles flow all other principles, including lack of morality.

You still have to prove your assertion that atheists are less moral than christians. Until you do that, your argument holds no water.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,344.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
If there is a principle of "understanding of harm and not wanting to do it to others" within atheistic existence, that principle is way less important than principle of nothingness and chance, which governs atheistic existence.
Have you ever talked with an atheist, before? I'm serious, it seems like you just have some vague ideas what an atheist actually does and how he feels, formed by prejudices and some books or youtube videos.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
If there is a principle of "understanding of harm and not wanting to do it to others" within atheistic existence, that principle is way less important than principle of nothingness and chance

You actually don't know how much importance atheists put on different principles.

Upvote 0

HenryM

Dec 21, 2016
ZXC
✟32,716.00
Country
Bangladesh
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Have you ever talked with an atheist, before? I'm serious, it seems like you just have some vague ideas what an atheist actually does and how he feels, formed by prejudices and some books or youtube videos.

You seem to only provide some offshot remarks, so there's not much value in discussing with you.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,344.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
  • Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"The atheistic worldview" is just a lack of belief in gods, much like a lack of belief in unicorns.
It's naturalism:
the philosophical belief that everything arises from natural properties and causes, and supernatural or spiritual explanations are excluded or discounted.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are assuming that religion or some higher power is required. All it takes is understanding of harm and not wanting to do it to others.
It's about the absolute moral.
There is none in an atheistic worldview.

• Agree
Reactions: HenryM
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,344.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It's naturalism:
the philosophical belief that everything arises from natural properties and causes, and supernatural or spiritual explanations are excluded or discounted.
Actually not even that. One can be an atheist and still believe in spirits, fairies or the supernatural. Just not in gods.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,344.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You are the one who believes stamp collecting and atheism are equal for forming a worldview about existence of universe and everything in it.
And you are the one who has yet to refute me with anything besides "it's obvious".

Also, I thought we were talking about morals and not about the existence of the universe and everything in it?

Upvote 0

HenryM

Dec 21, 2016
ZXC
✟32,716.00
Country
Bangladesh
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually not even that. One can be an atheist and still believe in spirits, fairies or the supernatural. Just not in gods.

Give us a list of ten famous atheists - people who publicly and absolutely confirmed their conviction that God doesn't exist - who publicly professed their belief in spirits, fairies or the supernatural.

And provide some links for confirmation of what you list.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If there is a principle of "understanding of harm and not wanting to do it to others" within atheistic existence, that principle is way less important than principle of nothingness and chance, which governs atheistic existence. Because "no harm" principle itself comes from nothing, by chance, and is destined to nothingness.

Atheists, like myself, only answer one question the same way. Is there a God? Everything else we get from other sources. From philosophers and scientists to our parents and friends. And you know what? Many religious people do the same as well (whether they know it or not) since most holy books where written before the explosion of knowledge in the last 200 years.

At the same time, everybody who act opposingly to "no harm" principle are also acting fully in line with foundation of atheistic existence. They are not wrong to harm others.

No, you are assuming too much about Atheism here. You don't get to ignore the society someone finds themselves in. Nor do people ignore their own moral lessons from before they where Atheist. They will question them, but not stealing and not killing (as examples) works well for keeping a society together so there is no reason to ditch those until society changes.

You really like to assume you know what an Atheist is. It is clear you haven't talked to one.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,344.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Give us a list of ten famous atheists - people who publicly and absolutely confirmed their conviction that God doesn't exist - who publicly professed their belief in spirits, fairies or the supernatural.

And provide some links for confirmation of what you list.
Why does it have to be famous atheists? Are their opinions and beliefs more worthy than those of less famous atheists?

And no, I'm not going to scour the internet and do such busywork. Atheism has a clear definition: Disbelief in the existence of any gods. It says nothing about belief in spirits, the origin of the universe or of life. It's a simple no to the question "Are there any gods".

If you disagree with this definition, you're free to make up your own definition, but don't expect anyone to follow it.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,245.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Religion doesn't give morality. God gives morality. And He gives some morality to everybody. Someone gets more, someone gets less. Nobody gets all and nobody gets none.

Then it is truly ironic that in general he seems to give more to those who do not believe he exists!

It is almost like non stamp collectors being given more stamps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's about the absolute moral.
There is none in an atheistic worldview.
And yet, many Atheists I know are just as moral (and in some chases it can be more moral) as many Christians. Many Christians I know tell me I am moral.

If I am so moral, how does that jib with your claim that there is none in an atheistic worldview?

Answer: It doesn't. Because there is no atheistic worldview.

Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If there is a principle of "understanding of harm and not wanting to do it to others" within atheistic existence, that principle is way less important than principle of nothingness and chance, which governs atheistic existence. Because "no harm" principle itself comes from nothing, by chance, and is destined to nothingness.

At the same time, everybody who act opposingly to "no harm" principle are also acting fully in line with foundation of atheistic existence. They are not wrong to harm others.

This is demonstrable false, as those who used to be Christians and are now atheists don't automatically start wantonly robbing, attacking, and slaughtering people. The idea that people without belief in a god are moral voids whose only motivation is selfish hedonism and a love of mayhem is easily disproved throughout the long history of humanity upon this planet.

Ask an atheist if it is wrong to murder someone, and I'm pretty dang sure you'll get "yes" as an answer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ask an atheist if it is wrong to murder someone, and I'm pretty dang sure you'll get "no" as an answer.
Is that really what you wanted to say? I would think the answer should be "yes."

Upvote 0

HenryM

Dec 21, 2016
ZXC
✟32,716.00
Country
Bangladesh
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Atheists, like myself, only answer one question the same way. Is there a God?

Yes, and you all answer No. So you all have to base your existence on foundation of nothingness and chance, regardless of how much you think about it.

Now I do get that it's not nice subject to think about, so most atheists probably bury it somehow. But it's there, as foundation of your worldview, nevertheless.

Paulos23 said:
You don't get to ignore the society someone finds themselves in.

You are on the correct path. Atheists do get morality outside of atheism. But you don't get it as an idea you pick from someone. You get it like you got heart. You get it from God.

Paulos23 said:
You really like to assume you know what an Atheist is. It is clear you haven't talked to one.

You made quite an assumption yourself with that.

Upvote 0