Visit site
✟10,581.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Yes.

Which one?

I'm not playing this game. See Postmodernism's refutation in Josh McDowell's book "The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict." End of book, on Epistemology.

The Postmodern Age: Create Your Own Truth

Postmodernism is a worldview that asserts that external, absolute truth—that is, a truth that is true for all people, in all places, and at all times—cannot be known through reason or science because truth is either nonexistent or unknowable. Postmodern thought asserts that experience is more reliable than reason, and the idea of truth is created rather than discovered. In a nutshell, postmodernists say, “If it’s true for you, then it’s as true as it needs to be.”

Postmodernism now shapes the attitudes of our society as a whole even though most people don’t even know the meaning of the word. Don’t be surprised to meet many adults or even Christians who are reluctant to draw a line between right and wrong or to affirm a belief in absolute truth. They have adopted a postmodern mind-set without bothering to check whether it is based in absolute truth—or even needs to be. Perhaps, if pressed, they might offer an explanation that borders on New Age mysticism.

Contrary to postmodern thought, we do not create truth--we discover it. Belief does not determine reality--reality exists apart from belief. Our belief in the truth merely brings us into alignment with it and activates its power in our lives. Absolute truth is an objective reality that exists totally independent of what anyone thinks or feels about it. Truth is real and solid whether or not we choose to believe it, just as Mount Everest is real and solid whether or not we choose to climb it.

Josh McDowell's Official Blog: The Postmodern Age: Create Your Own Truth

Thats a summation.

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Making it Philosophical. Make up your mind.

Nope. See my post above. Not all statement are philosophical.

Well forgive me if I don't necessarily follow this church. Or do Catholics represent the whole of Christianity?

Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris. The Humanist Manifesto. Acharya S. Infidels.org. Etc.
None of whom are leaders. They run nothing.

See above.
Not evidence. How do you know the opinions of the majority? What is your evidence that they agree with the above people and organisations?

We've already proven my position on all of this stuff. See First Church of Atheism Can we move on?
Nope, mainly because you're wrong. OK, there's a church (which I have never heard of). Now I'm just waiting for you to prove that the majority of atheists agree with it.

Also see here - forgot this from earlier - YouTube - Refuting Relativism
See my earlier post as to why CARM doesn't even understand that relativism doesn't have to apply to everything.

Also not that I am not one of the people that the CARM video attempts to refute - even though you appear to be convinced that I am.

Upvote 0

Lord Emsworth

Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves.
Oct 10, 2004
Through the cables and the underground ...
✟61,459.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2010
United States
Visit site
✟10,581.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Seriously, which of my statements do you want to have explained in more detail. Just point me to it, and I'll see whether I can be more clear.

Why should I? You are the only one who is talking about postmodernism.

In your dreams. ^_^

Who is the one who is closed minded? Lets just remember that next time an Atheist calls a Christian one.

In reality, Atheistic philosophy is centered around Existentialistic concepts, or sister concepts, which is more Mystic in origin than most people realize. It is steeped in Relativism, and is self refuting.

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In reality, Atheistic philosophy is centered around Existentialistic concepts, or sister concepts, which is more Mystic in origin than most people realize. It is steeped in Relativism, and is self refuting.

1) Atheism is not relativistic. If we go by your narrow definition, the statement "There is no God" is in no way relativistic. It's a statement of an absolute.

2) Secondly, you like to throw the term 'self-refuting' around, without ever actually demonstrating why. It might be a good idea if you did so.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2010
United States
Visit site
✟10,581.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
1) Atheism is not relativistic. If we go by your narrow definition, the statement "There is no God" is in no way relativistic. It's a statement of an absolute.

2) Secondly, you like to throw the term 'self-refuting' around, without ever actually demonstrating why. It might be a good idea if you did so.

Then where does this universal standard come from? It can't self create. That violates another logical principle, that something can not bring itself into existence.

I have been demonstrating so all over the place. For example, when I state that Atheism as a Theology is self refuting, it is so because it has nothing to study. Therefore, it is self refuting to call it a Theology.

As a Philosophy, well the fact that a lack of a belief is an assertion that can not back itself up, it becomes self refuting based on the presupposition that most Atheists utilize. Or you can go with I believe there is no God. But this infers a knowledge that there is no God, since one can not believe in something they know to be false. So consequently, the standard goes that one who buys into Atheism, also faces the dilemma of having to know everything beyond the scope of their capabilities to refute God. Thus, it is nonsense to declare the position of Atheism as a viable Philosophy.

People here call themselves "Agnostic Atheist."

I am stating, choose one or the other.

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Then where does this universal standard come from? It can't self create. That violates another logical principle, that something can not bring itself into existence.

Very true. I fail to see how atheism fits into this, however. Atheism does not state that the universe created itself.

I have been demonstrating so all over the place. For example, when I state that Atheism as a Theology is self refuting, it is so because it has nothing to study. Therefore, it is self refuting to call it a Theology.
OK.

As a Philosophy, well the fact that a lack of a belief is an assertion that can not back itself up, it becomes self refuting based on the presupposition that most Atheists utilize.
No, because it is not a position. It is a lack of one.

Or you can go with I believe there is no God. But this infers a knowledge that there is no God, since one can not believe in something they know to be false.
Depends on how certain the statement is. Personally, I believe in God to the same extent that most people believe in fairies.

So consequently, the standard goes that one who buys into Atheism, also faces the dilemma of having to know everything beyond the scope of their capabilities to refute God. Thus, it is nonsense to declare the position of Atheism as a viable Philosophy.
I can see that...

People here call themselves "Agnostic Atheist."

I am stating, choose one or the other.
I did choose. I chose agnostic atheist, because that is the term that best fits my beliefs. I have not refused to come to a conclusion, so I am not purely agnostic, but I do not outright claim that God definitely does not exist, so I'm not purely atheistic. My position on God is the same as my position on fairies - I cannot prove they do not exist, so I will not claim that. However, I will claim that it is unlikely that they do, due to lack of any evidence for their existence.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2010
United States
Visit site
✟10,581.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Very true. I fail to see how atheism fits into this, however. Atheism does not state that the universe created itself.

OK.

No, because it is not a position. It is a lack of one.

Depends on how certain the statment is. Personally, I believe in God to the same extent that most people believe in fairies.

I can see that...

I did choose. I chose agnostic atheist, because that is the term that best fits my beliefs. I have not refused to come to a conclusion, so I am not purely agnostic, but I do not outright claim that God definitely does not exist, so I'm not purely atheistic.

Prove your lack of position utilizing your lack of position. Have your pick.

All this is is deconstructionism at work. In the end, it deconstructs itself.

These are tired arguments already refuted in Josh McDowell's book on Epistemology.

You have chosen a view that is self contradictory, and makes no sense. I would encourage you to choose a view that would be considered enlightening by a scholarly consensus.

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Prove your lack of position utilizing your lack of position. Have your pick.

This is nonsense at its finest. A lack of position does not require proof, as there is nothing to prove. If you don't make a claim, you don't have to prove your lack of claim. "I don't know" does not have to be proven.

All this is is deconstructionism at work. In the end, it deconstructs itself.

You have chosen a view that is self contradictory, and makes no sense.
No, you've arbitrarily decided that it is self-contradictory, and you've decided to ask nonsensical questions to demonstrate it.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2010
United States
Visit site
✟10,581.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
This is nonsense at its finest. A lack of position does not require proof, as there is nothing to prove.

This is special pleading at its finest. A "nonposition" is a position in itself that is self refuting. "Non" and "a". 2nd law of noncontradiction refutes your position.

No, you've arbitrarily decided that it is self-contradictory, and you've decided to ask nonsensical questions to demonstrate it.

No, Logic is not arbitary. If you had read Matt Slick's commentary, you would have realized this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Besides, new species *have* arisen in historical times:

- A new species of mosquito, isolated in London's Underground, has speciated from Culex pipiens (Byrne and Nichols 1999; Nuttall 1998).

- Several new species of plants have arisen via polyploidy (when the chromosome count multiplies by two or more) (de Wet 1971). One example is Primula kewensis (Newton and Pellew 1929).

- Rhagoletis pomonella, the apple maggot fly, is undergoing sympatric speciation. Its native host in North America is Hawthorn (Crataegus spp.), but in the mid-1800s, a new population formed on introduced domestic apples (Malus pumila). The two races are kept partially isolated by natural selection (Filchak et al. 2000).

- The mosquito Anopheles gambiae shows incipient speciation between its populations in northwestern and southeastern Africa (Fanello et al. 2003; Lehmann et al. 2003).

- Silverside fish show incipient speciation between marine and estuarine populations (Beheregaray and Sunnucks 2001).

- In several Canadian lakes, which originated in the last 10,000 years following the last ice age, stickleback fish have diversified into separate species for shallow and deep water (Schilthuizen 2001, 146-151).

- Cichlids in Lake Malawi and Lake Victoria have diversified into hundreds of species. Parts of Lake Malawi which originated in the nineteenth century have species indigenous to those parts (Schilthuizen 2001, 166-176).

- A Mimulus species adapted for soils high in copper exists only on the tailings of a copper mine that did not exist before 1859 (Macnair 1989).

And these are just a few examples.

This is completely irrelevant. While I hate the terms because of the groups using them and how they do so, micro-Ev does NOT make macro Ev a fact, as taught. And actual working scientists know this. So to pretend I "knocked over a strawman" as you put it, while you do have a valid point you're making, it is a strawman of your own since it doesn't respond to what I said in any way. Which was (and is) that G-d is not at odds w/ modern biology in any way.

You also mentioned being able to teach me, and as far as current micro Ev finds I'm sure you are more up to date than I am; but I've discussed the big picture with someone involved w/ mapping the human genome, as well as w/ a Prof / PhD in micro-biology who started his studies as a devout atheist, and turned to the Lord solely because of what he discovered. While the genome mapper is a more productive person, he does so by regurgitating what he's taught and has nothing I could respect as critical thinking, while the Prof has critical thinking that rivals anyone I've ever met. Of course he also has quite a few years and wisdom to go along with it, so it's not a fair contest but still:

Ev as taught (at least here) does not account for the world we live in. And the more we discover, the more we move away from the slow gradualistic change predicted by the Ev model, and the more we move towards cataclysmic change; i.e., G-d's creative power. Just look at the Cambrian explosion! But of course, you can't see how that fits perfectly into Genesis 1:1, so you criticize based on reading into the Bible what you don't believe anyway, which is not a sound starting point for a comparison!

All this really does get jumbled into the discussion of if atheism is a "system" or even a faith. (Assuming atheists are not content to ignore the ramifications of our existence, that is) For example, I asserted atheists embrace materialism / naturalism. The 2 that objected to that actually do, and reject any Spiritual realm or supernatural occurrence. To me, this seems self-evident. (Although I'll allow that Shintoism may be an exception)

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This is special pleading at its finest. A "nonposition" is a position in itself that is self refuting. "Non" and "a". 2nd law of noncontradiction refutes your position.

No it doesn't, because I'm not making two contradictory statements. I'm saying "I'm not sure, but there is no reason to support it". That is my 'position' on the existence of God.

No, Logic is not arbitary.
I agree. Now if you'd like to start using it...

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2010
United States
Visit site
✟10,581.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
No it doesn't, because I'm not making two contradictory statements. I'm saying "I'm not sure, but there is no reason to support it". That is my 'position' on the existence of God.

Red Herring. A statement can contradict itself.
I agree. Now if you'd like to start using it...

I have been. Law of noncontradiction, Principle of Identity and Principle of Excluded Middle. That is the foundation of it all. Its an interesting study, and I recommend it.

Upvote 0

Lord Emsworth

Oct 10, 2004
✟61,459.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Who is the one who is closed minded?

Oh, I am familiar with *stuff* like McDowell's. That is why I am laughing.

Lets just remember that next time an Atheist calls a Christian one.

And let US also just remember that you now have twice ignored my request to you to point out which of my statements you did not understand, or found unclear, in favour of posting yet more irrelevancies. Like this:

You need to believe all this *stuff*. Not me.

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Red Herring.

I have been. Law of noncontradiction, Principle of Identity and Principle of Excluded Middle. That is the foundation of it all.

I give up on you. You are obviously so fixated on your own idea that you're now randomly calling my refutations red herrings even though they are in no way designed to divert attention. One statement cannot violate the law of noncontradiction, because there is nothing to contradict.

If you want to call me an agnostic or self-refuting or whatever, then fine. You're certainly not here to actually discuss anything. Discussion would involve you actually reading posts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Apr 24, 2010
United States
Visit site
✟10,581.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I give up on you. You are obviously so fixated on your own idea that you're now randomly calling my refutations red herrings even though they are in no way designed to divert attention. One statement cannot violate the law of noncontradiction, because there is nothing to contradict.

If you want to call me an agnostic or self-refuting or whatever, then fine. You're certainly not here to actually discuss anything. Discussion would involve you actually reading posts.

I have read all of the posts. I have studied Atheism thoroughly. I am not convinced that there is a true Atheist in the world today, but there are many who call themselves Atheist. You are instead Agnostics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2010
United States
Visit site
✟10,581.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Reality - That Which is Known

1. Foundation in pre-existent Trinity
    • Data about the "Pre-Creation" Trinity
      1. Decrees/Plans/interaction
      2. Love
      3. Unity of Essence (Tri-person)
    • => The Primacy of Personal Knowledge
    • => Initiation/Response
    • The Law of A and ~A (i.e. identity of sole existent)
  2. Derivative Knowledge: Roots in Creation Act
    • Creative-Semantic Act (Creation = extrovertive predication; it did NOT precede it)
      1. => Cognitive
      2. => Predicable
      3. => Unity-in-diversity (relatedness)
      4. => Some can be inferred from the others
      5. => Definite, not open-ended
      6. => Applies to TEAR, activities, natural forces
      7. => Shared language within the Trinity
    • Derivative - Not infinite, the "Ontic Bubble", Wraps back on itself
  3. Derivative Knowledge: Nature of Created Reality
    • Mirrors the Character of God ("Good")
      1. Integrity ("uni-"verse)
      2. Spectrum (diversity)
      3. Robustness (plenitude/complexity)
      4. Beauty
      5. Balance & Interdependencies (esp. biological)
    • Can be "Predicated Upon" by God (as subsequent act)
    • The Logos Character (inherent rationality)
    • Created reality is An Active Witness (Psalmist)
      1. "Declares glory" (Ps 19)
        • Not a passive voice
        • it sends out more than data, a message (broader than just about itself)--it somehow also includes at least SOME of its context
        • 'glory' - effervescent presence
      2. "Power and Godhead" (as apparent, Romans 1)
        • authentication is assumed (or perhaps inherent in the message => message carries context)
        • derivative character of existence
        • =>we interpret everything in a personal context
    • Created reality as "Layered/Varied" (species, colors, etc.)
      1. Varies On the Axes of: Complexity, Volition, Variation w/n a Class
      2. Static -- rocks, space-time, elements(?)
      3. Biotic - perpetuity (=> predictability); genetic relationships; plantlife; incredible amount of variation
      4. Animal - breath of life; companionship possibilities
        • habituation (=> predictability, but much wider variation); practical judgment
        • conscious ('knows his master') recognition
        • "On the threshold of Personhood" (Buber)
        • capabilities of deception (possum, camouflage, baiting)
      5. capacity for play! (e.g. puppies, kittens)
      6. Some level of 'will' and decision making (cf. Animal Minds, Donald Griffin)
      7. wide range of variation (insects vs. chimps)
      8. Man
        • self-conscious
        • next 'level' of volition
        • changeable
        • can exert will 'over' lower levels
        • some variation, but less than the lower levels
        • localized in space-time, restricted travel
        • deception
      9. Angelic
        • Personal
        • Only change once?
        • Sui Generis
        • Minimal variation(?)
        • will
        • localized in space-time, but without physical locus, access to 'heaven'
        • can influence lower level wills without affecting responsibility (Daniel 10+)
        • see more data in universe than we do
        • deception!
  4. The Issue of Mankind
    • Derivative: Meaning
      1. Definition of his 'essence' (point of continuity, and discontinuity with God)
      2. Analogy as the relationship, based on semantic creation and 'language'
    • Derivative in Every Sense
      1. Exists => in relationship to all others
      2. Creature => in special relation to God
      3. Predicator => finds its context in ultimate predication--creating derivative paraphrases of God's 'talk'
    • Social
      1. language, shared basal categories + transformation of existing linguistic forms + 'stretching meanings' by juxtaposition of quasi-compatible formulations (collocational clashes--Beekman and Callow: Translating the Word of God)
      2. value in social communication (URP in Trinity)-[note: URP = Ultimate Reference Point]
      3. all language presupposes a social union (audience)
    • Categories based on creation (unity-in-diversity vs. trinity; personal 1st priority)
    • "A little lower than the angels" - the epistemic problem
      1. Our knowledge of higher beings
      2. can we understand them? (Animals understand us?; 4 year-olds understand emotions of aging?)
      3. Revelation helps, but there must be adequate category overlap
      4. Especially overlap in "personhood", upon which to lay/unlay attitudes and propensities!
  5. The Issue of Sin
    • Derivative character/parasitic (Berkhower, Sin as Irrational)
    • Like a virus: has no life of its own (dormant outside the context of life); springs to life in the presence of DNA/RNA! (evil is parasitic on good: no-life by itself; only becomes alive when LIFE is around.)
    • What: a decision to 'recreate' the universe (unlike art, which does the same and is good)--organized around a different ultimate (ie around the derivative self as God!)
    • What it produces: separation (reversal of diversity-in-unity ; diversity WITHOUT unity!) in every realm
      1. - interpersonal
      2. - social
      3. - Ecology
      4. - The Cross! (even within the personal relationships of the Trinity!--Father and Son)
      5. - Epistemically
    • Evil does not map into causal models (as a-rational), but into 1) serpent -> eve (influence/deception) models and 2) eve -> adam (influence/decision) models
    • Malignant will and weakening of the epistemic nature
      1. => witness of creation is weaker, response of receptors is duller
      2. => deception is a possibility (generally less than 50% - no permanently sustainable deception is possible - deception is PARASITIC on disclosure/perception/understanding)
      3. => deliberate and/or conscious suppression of truth is possible and often!
    • Sovereignty restrains deception and also lets it loose (Rom 1 and Abimelech/Sarah et. al.)
Knowing - the Verb

1. Elements
    • symphony, cacophony of witnessing elements in the universe; TONS of redundancy
    • creaturely response built-in to reality (resonance model)
    • we interpret everything in a personal context
    • continuity of created universe GREATER THAN 'erosion' due to evil (but cumulative effects are observed--the entropy issue)
    • Grace GREATER THAN sin -- the presence of both preservation and 'new order' in the existing universe.
    • - the phenomena (i.e. not JUST the rock, but the reflected sound waves, photons, etc.) themselves are a witness (in all directions)
    • - the process (e.g. perception) is a witness
  2. The Interplay: Model of Dialogue
    • The Model of Dialogue within the Universe (overview)
      1. - person forms question and puts it to the object
      2. - the object shouts back (Heidegger)
      3. - If the question is too 'off', major dissonance and silence (e.g. asking Penguins questions on British history)
      4. - if close enough, a 'fit'--some resonance, some dissonance (we 'feel' we are on the right track, but something is still 'missing'--it seems a bit odd still.)
      5. - interaction improves hearing! (reformulation of the question on the basis of the last feedback round, generates a 'closer' question with a better 'overlapping' semantic content to the reality). Eventually the 'object' will break through our grid and restructure the operative/interpretive model
      6. - 'insight' as an holistic response to a screaming, focused phenomena set (like a magnifying glass focuses sun's rays)
    • Insight
      1. 'non-cognitive' => sub-conscious; epistemic vividness (huge realm of the sub-conscious)
      2. Abraham Kuyper's image [we sow thought-seeds in the garden of our mind; they grow without conscious attention; we walk through the garden later and find them full-grown; we pick them!--Principles of Sacred Theology]
      3. pattern detection (the datum witnesses to the relationships and context--and MAYBE even messenger)
      4. It seems so much like eureka-type authentication ("That's it!")
    • Gestalt/Unit Perception
      1. data witnesses to membership in A and not ~A
      2. the data points to the "edges" of the pattern
      3. camouflage/optical illusion confuses us this way
  3. Problems in the Interplay
    • We bring the Wrong Set of Categories/Questions
      1. but the 'correct' set of categories can be constructed in ALL languages
      2. basal categories are un-deniable (cf. the philosophic attempts to delineate them--Aristotle, Kant)
      3. categories/questions are changed/stretched/mutated by the 'speaking' data
    • Generic/Specific/Ambiguity
      1. This model predicts Hayakawa's levels of specificity in creation (as semantic)
      2. inductive data resists over-specificity and over-precision
      3. Ambiguity
        • in the data, the witness is not as clear (its voice is now 'entropied' or weakened)
        • due to sample makeup -- too small a sample, too short and observation time, not uniform enough (=> too large a class)
        • theology: the issue of the will (Parable of the Gardener) to weight the data differently
        • example: revelation and Holy Writ
    • Epistemic Boundary
      1. the Epistemic Bubble -- wraps around; keeps us in
      2. the Use of analogy/metaphor in boundary work
      3. the use of empathy in the center (common experience - 'fear')
    • Precision and the "Carriers of Reality"
      1. precision vs. vocab in communication (the tradeoff between precision, range of applicability, lexicon): music, art, math, logic, common lang, technical languages
      2. over-precision: @ the boundary - making the model walk on all fours
      3. we hit the linguistic wall-and it pushes us sideways to another term of equal ambiguity/precision.
      4. how could one detect over-precision? (dissonance, paradox, denial of early-life 'folk theories', some details fall out, Procrustes)
    • Suppression of Truth
      1. What is it: on the edge of consciousness, suppressed, becomes part of character/assumptions
      2. Why: ethically driven (could be habit or model-bias or even suspension of judgment)
      3. - if the original truth witness grows in frequency, volume, or clarity, how can it stay subconscious? Won't this cause Psycho-problems? (We know it does). The power of suppression can apparently grow, but can also manifest itself in habitual behavior (e.g. handwashing by the 'guilt-ridden').
      4. examples of over-precision: overextended Scholasticism, Ptolemy
    • Malignant will
      1. hiding some data, perhaps the critical piece in pattern construction, to give a false pattern
      2. data that is more personal is easiest to do (language and lies); impersonal harder (size of a rock)
      3. example: training the dog to trick someone
Knowledge - The Result

1. A look at the word: Objective K.
    • "X" vs. "I know X"
      1. - the mail comes by at noon every day
      2. - I am a business executive
      3. - my redeemer liveth
      4. - Moma loves me
    • Versus:
      1. - I feel that X
      2. - I think that X
      3. - I hope that X
      4. - I have no doubt that X
      5. - I feel certain that X
      6. - I believe that X
      7. - I would die before I deny X
      8. - I have confidence that X
      9. - I feel more that X than that ~X
    • Knowledge is just X; certainty is 'I know that X'
  2. "I know" is a statement about me; not about X. (??) Or rather, it seems to be a statement about MY relationship to X , with perhaps implications for the Ultimate Personal Context.
  3. Another Look at the word: Personal K.
    • "I know person P."
    • When unpacked -> predictability of behavior and response in visualized circumstances, both prospective and retrospective
    • the example of a surprise anonymous gift: "that's just like her'
    • personal disclosure (revelation) + patterns of action (that define extensions, limits, qualifications to the characteristics so disclosed)
    • it is not = confidence in P, but confidence in our understanding of P's character (static) and action (dynamic)
  4. K = "a relationship that produces the ability to make accurate denotative paraphrases of the creation-witness to its own character and direction of action"
The Problem of Error

1. The central problem in this model: "How Can We be Wrong?"
  2. NOTE WELL: This is the OPPOSITE problem from skepticism!! (A much better starting point!)
  3. Let's set aside willful overrides (ours or theirs) for the moment
  4. 1st cut: what are the ethical dimensions of cognitive mistakes?! [If EURP (Ethical URP--Jesus) couldn't make a FP (i.e. false predication), then would our FP would be sin?! (due to lack of URP?) Approach: ignorance of law is no excuse ('Israel sins and knows it not')--this argues that it WOULD be culpable. (This probably doesn't apply to the question, since the 'sin' was NOT in the ignorance, but in the violation of a specific cultic ordinance.) But ignorance ("I don't know") NOT = being false ("I know X", but I am wrong) But we may still have the EURP problem]
    • Approach 1:
      1. From life of Jesus, not knowing something (consciously) is not sin ("of that hour knows no man...not even the Son")
      2. Kenosis questions play here--to what extent can the Kenotic Figure make the cognitive errors of His race? (e.g Did He get perfect scores in school every day?--probably not, just like He probably smashed His thumb with a hammer more than once as a kid in Joseph's carpentry shop.)
      3. We often push K. down into implicit/memory or even do not get it to the articulate level (deliberately)--He tapped into it often, acc. to His plan. (The words 'knowledge' and 'memory' are related in too complex of a fashion to sort through this easily.)
      4. This does not allow us to jump to 'Jesus made a mistake' -- we have no data -- test scores etc.
      5. Some 'errors' are only issues of ambiguity or description: Ptolemy vs. Copernicus
    • Approach 2: "lies/deceptions" don't count either (we don't believe them) - Rahab, Midwives, feigning in Israel's wars
    • Approach 3: test quizzes are not 'I know' but 'I think' or 'I think that I remember' or 'it seems reasonable'--they are generally not the 'I state my integrity upon X...' kinds of propositions. The relationship to this artificial environment to ethics is probably not a good starting point for solving this issue.
    • Approach 4: There would be some ethical component in 'slothful induction' -esp. in light of I Thess 5:23.
Special Case: Divine Revelation

1. Basic model is personal revelation
  2. Radical cognitive/consciousness continuity between Author/recipients; peripheral discontinuity
  3. How do we know a person P? - patterns of experience; they condition each subsequent experience (hermeneutical context). That is, how I interact with Joe today forms an interpretive context for tomorrow's dealings with him.
  4. Sample patterns from 'invisibles': The man Friday, the nightshift roommate
  5. Now where are the evidences/audit trails of this Person?
    • Nature
    • 1st person disclosure//2nd and 3rd person descriptions (The Book)
    • History (from the Book)
    • History in my life (providence)
    • Theology/Doctrine (me/history)
    • Other believers
  6. The issue of Hermeneutics
    • the nature of semantic units-within-units
    • the dialogical model: part-whole-part-whole...
    • the context is always the beginning
    • we interpret all things in a personal context
    • our view of God is a starting point, at some level (we bring that set of 'questions' to the data)
    • experience is like a developing book, later chapters define/refine earlier ones
    • our starting point must be basically a belief in His goodness (Heb 11!)
    • patterns and macro patterns in providence function as semantic units-within-units
    • All of these semantic units "swirl and dance" in our lives (e.g. the Bible, providence, wise counsel, etc.)
  7. Disclosure and Trust
Theistic vs. Christian Epistemology

1. Theistic: = order, personal, relational, telic (revelation, blessing)
  2. Christian: The person of Christ
    • His Nature as one person, one consciousness etc.
    • Christ knows things - and so forms the EURP (~=> unity of natures) - URP of ethics of precision
    • Christ's growth in wisdom didn't imply sin
    • (His suppressed knowledge of the 2nd coming date?) - subconscious link suppressed by Father? - but he manifested early and special giftedness: filled with wisdom, early questions in the temple
    • Christ knew more than simply humans (e.g. what was in man, the Father, heaven)
    • MAJOR: The embodiment of God, and our consequent observation of His life, behavior, and patterns, makes the revelatory content SO MUCH MORE 'objective' , 'controlled' , and 'concrete' that a transcendental-only theistic system! Even the prophets, with their lives and words could not come close to the blinding revelation in an Incarnate God! (Heb 1.1-3)
    • We have to Be very careful here in drawing conclusions from our provisional (AT BEST!!!!) understanding of the conscious mind of the Incarnate Son of God!
  3. Christian: The Work of Christ
    • Redemption: Cross removes deception in eternity, but finite => learning => mistakes? The down-spiral is not operational in all areas to that same extent as before the Cross? The "Irruption" of Kingdom in time generates 'new creation' and 'new life' amidst the old...this allows the 'witness' of these pockets of 'new creation' to carry a GREATER EPISTEMIC payload than the older stuff..(e.g. transformed lives 'witness' louder and more often than do 'legalistically-controlled' lives.)
    • The Giving of the Spirit:
      1. His general role - suppression of worst in us, heightening of the best in us
      2. Often increases our communicative abilities (e.g. teachers), our productive abilities (e.g. admin, helps), our perceptive abilities (e.g. mercy, empathy).
      3. His major role in epistemology (when the above is applied to knowing, learning, teaching)
        • revelation (John 14-17; Scripture)
        • illumination (from within/behind the personality center)
        • authentication (Corinthians)
        • sanctification (without which we can 'forget forgiveness' (2 Pet 1.9)// protect us from our own deception-hearts // grow in K. of God // self-transcendence and introspection)
      4. His work in the church
  4. http://www.christian-thinktank.com/episout.html
Thats an interesting outline of Epistemology as it pertains to Judeo/Christian thought.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2010
United States
Visit site
✟10,581.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The Nature of Self-Stultifying Statements

A self-stultifying statement is a statement that contradicts:
  1. itself;
  2. the case it advances as proof (if any);
  3. the presuppositions inherent in the subject matter being discussed;
  4. the presuppositions inherent in the speech act.
Let's illustrate these cases with a simple example.
  • Case 1: Contradicting itself ("Even though a horse is black, it is not black.") (Examples have been notedthroughout of many Atheists who present statements in like fashion).
  • Case 2: Contradicting the proof ("This black horse is not black")
  • Case 3: Contradicting the subject matter ("This horse is black half of the time"--horses don't change color often.)
  • Case 4: Contradicting the speech act ("I am a black horse"--semantic acts, of the English variety at least, are not performed by horses.)
Do you see how this works? Now this is a guy who went to school to learn about logic in school. He has two doctorates in logic related fields.

http://www.christian-thinktank.com/stult2.html

All of the above may incorporate a self stultifying claim or argument. Read this article thoroughly. If you do, you will see the error in your ways, and why your position needs to be more closely examined.

Upvote 0

Lord Emsworth

Oct 10, 2004
✟61,459.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I have read all of the posts. I have studied Atheism thoroughly. I am not convinced that there is a true Atheist in the world today, but there are many who call themselves Atheist.

So, what are you even talking about, huh?

Upvote 0