Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
There is a book I really want to read, the tea girl of (forgot the town). It sounds like a good story but is about a mother and her daughter born out of wedlock, which the mother rejects her village tradition which would kill the child and the girl is adopted by Californians. Is this bad? In the Old Testament adultry got you stoned (right?) and I was thinking isn't there a verse about all people having some sort of moral guidance so all are held accountable? I might be overthinking it.

Also things like Percy Jackson. I think the Greek/Roman "gods" are absolutely ridiculous, petty, and fairly stupid. But I like those books, and in video games I love the aesthetic the Egyptians get.

But how far does it have to go to be bad?

• Prayers
Reactions: introverteen

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Not sure, sorry. Thing is, we are all in this world here as visitors only, with our true residence being Heaven. It's impossible to not interact with the world, so we shouldn't spend too much of our time grieving over fleeting desires for reading books, seeing movies, etc. It's only when these things take up so much time in our lives that they take away from our time with God that they become idolatry.

So in the end it's up to you. There is content out there that should be completely avoided, but as far as the more neutral stuff? Pretty sure you can watch and read a mess of silly things. The point is to know that you have power over them and that they don't detract your overall walk with Christ. I think you've already done this when you mentioned Greek/Roman gods being fairly stupid.

Hope you are feeling better :D

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟698,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a book I really want to read, the tea girl of (forgot the town). It sounds like a good story but is about a mother and her daughter born out of wedlock, which the mother rejects her village tradition which would kill the child and the girl is adopted by Californians. Is this bad? In the Old Testament adultry got you stoned (right?) and I was thinking isn't there a verse about all people having some sort of moral guidance so all are held accountable? I might be overthinking it.

Also things like Percy Jackson. I think the Greek/Roman "gods" are absolutely ridiculous, petty, and fairly stupid. But I like those books, and in video games I love the aesthetic the Egyptians get.

But how far does it have to go to be bad?

I personally think that it depends on your conscience. As a general rule, I feel that as long as the scene is contributing to the plot, the book is not bad. I also think that it's ok to skip pages that are racey. Of course that is applying to sex/violent scenes.

As far as plot lines involving false gods, criminal activity, etc., if it is causing you to stumble, put it down. If it is giving you nightmares, put it down. If you are feeling convicted about reading it, put it down. God gives us a conscience so we can discern these types of things.

So to answer your question about the tea girl book, use prayer and judgment.

• Winner
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Word of God is all profitable (2 Timothy 3.16). Other books vary greatly in profitability. But President Eisenhower's advice during the McCarthy era is apt: Read all the books in your library, and then come to your own conclusions. (This was said in response to the idea of censorship.)

• Informative
Upvote 0

PKFox

Child of God
Apr 24, 2017
Michigan
✟20,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I personally have had questions about movies rather than books, but I think you have to be careful about what you take from what you read. It reminds me of the song "O Be Careful Little Eyes". We have to make sure that what we read and watch aren't tempting us away from God.

I think that everyone needs a certain level of maturity when reading things that fit into this neutral zone. For instance, I've had discussions about whether or not it's okay to read Harry Potter, because of all the witchcraft and wizardry involved. My personal conclusion and opinion is that as long as you understand that it's fiction, and treat it as so, I don't see any problem with reading it. However, that's where you need a certain level of maturity, so you don't fall into the false belief that you can be like those characters, which is why I may object to 8-year-olds reading Harry Potter, but not teenagers or adults because they are more mature and can understand the difference.

I think it's okay if you read things like Percy Jackson and other assorted books. As long as you don't think it will pull you away from God, I don't see a problem with it. However, if you are questioning whether it's okay to read something in particular, I'd suggest praying about it. Don't read it if you feel God is telling you not to, but otherwise, I think it's fine. Really, it's up to whether or not you think it's okay.

• Agree
Reactions: Bumble Bee
Upvote 0