• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

At what age can you start having hot flashes?

Dogperson

Dec 18, 2009
Northeast Tennessee
✟15,560.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I was wondering at what age women start having hot flashes. I just turned 40 this month & have been having them on & off since the fall but this past week I've had them really bad. The past 3 nights I woke up with my hair, nightgown, & sheets wet from where I had sweated in my sleep. I've had night sweats before but only when going on or coming off meds for depression. I recall my mom going through an early menopause, like in her mid-forties, but she passed away a long time ago so I can't ask her. I keep turning down the heat in the house & turning on the ceiling fans, then my husband comes home & wants to know why it's like the North Pole in the house. He cranks the heat back up to 74 & I feel like I'm going to die. I cooked supper & baked a cake this evening & felt like I was melting & had to go stand outside in the rain. I just wondered if this was normal. I hate to go to my doctor for this because for one reason I don't really have the money for my co-pay right now & also because she would just want to maybe give me hormones or birth control pills & I don't want them. I never could tolerate the pill. I was wondering if any of the women on this forum could tell me if they started having hot flashes this soon. I feel OK otherwise. Thanks!

Franny50

franny50
May 2, 2011
NYC
✟15,801.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi DogPerson.I had a friend who developed hot flashes in her early forties,not sure about the night sweats though.I am 50 and started having hot flashes in my mid forties,although very mild.I have them occasionally but they haven't gotten worse.I have only had a handful of times when I woke up with night sweats.My main problem is I do not have periods for months and then experience very heavy bleeding.Try to see a gynecologist at least once a year,for an evaluation.

Upvote 0