Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sadly, the Grand Old Party is in serious trouble and unless it quickly finds it's way back to sanity, it will soon become a permanent minority party.....
I cannot bring myself to feel sad about that. They should pay a hefty price for what they enabled.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Sadly, the Grand Old Party is in serious trouble and unless it quickly finds it's way back to sanity, it will soon become a permanent minority party.....

I fear that the situation is worse than what you suggest. If mainstream Republicans don't succeed the Republican Party will BE the Trump Party, with no mainstream Republican Party.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
wuc210108-1160.jpg

Dems eye punishing Republicans who challenged Biden’s win

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
At least 6 GOP legislators took part in Trump-inspired protests | TheHill

If they are identified and committed a crime..... Lock 'em up.
The Hill magazine certainly misled readers (among them, you) when reporting that "at least 6 GOP legislators" took part. While the article vilified 5 of the 6 as though they had stormed the building, only one of them did that, and the article did not actually say, point blank, that all six did. But of course the title and the surrounding text gives the impression that there were 6 legislators who broke into the capitol and/or participated in the violence. It's a shame that The Hill has descended so far.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
According to whom? PBS puts it a hundreds

That's nonsense. Crowd estimates run into the hundreds of thousands, and anybody could, if he wanted to take the time, literally count more attendees than PBS's "estimate," using the pictures that were taken of the event from drones.

• Informative
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I'm sad to say that I think you're right.

I cannot bring myself to feel sad about that. They should pay a hefty price for what they enabled.

I'm upset about it because the GOP was hijacked by Trump and the Yes-man Republican leaders who compromised their personal integrity and sold out the Party to Trump. I think these sell outs should pay a hefty price too. I'd like to see them being forced to resign or voted out in the next election. I agree with many other Never Trump Republicans who think these sell outs should face some kind of reckoning because they shouldn't be allowed to get away with supporting Trump's failed attempts to overturn the election in his favor. I think that it's time to clean house within the Republican Party.

Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I pray for America sometimes. I never thought I would ever need to. It’s so sad to see. Even where I am I sometimes feel disenfranchised because there doesn’t seem to be a true Conservative party to believe in any more. I’m a social Conservative, but not necessarily an uber-capitalist.

One of the things that is the most disheartening for me is to see, what I thought was a wonderful constitution, not working the way it was meant to. :prayer:

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Hill magazine certainly misled readers (among them, you) when reporting that "at least 6 GOP legislators" took part.
How do you figure? The article's headline is "At least 6 GOP legislators took part in Trump-inspired protests | TheHill" - why do you think it said something else or that I was mislead by that? I added that if any of them are identified and committed a crime then lock 'em up. Where in all of that do you see that anyone was misleading or mislead?

You're fabricating your story in your own mind. You're stating what you want to believe rather than the reality.

While the article vilified 5 of the 6 as though they had stormed the building, only one of them did that, and the article did not actually say, point blank, that all six did. But of course the title and the surrounding text gives the impression that there were 6 legislators who broke into the capitol and/or participated in the violence. It's a shame that The Hill has descended so far.
Where are 5 of the 6 "vilified as though they had stormed the building"??? They're not. Again, you're fabricating your own story and hoping nobody realizes it.

All anyone has to do is actually read the article. The article's first two paragraphs are as follows (emphasis mine):

"At least six Republican state legislators from across the nation participated in events surrounding the attempted insurrection at the United States Capitol on Wednesday.

News reports and social media posts showed at least one of the legislators, West Virginia Del. Derrick Evans (R), was among the violent mob that broke into the Capitol building. Evans, who was only recently sworn into office, posted a video of himself entering the building."

That's right up front in the first two paragraphs. What is incorrect or misleading about any of that? Nothing.

You know, if you're going to argue that's fine, but at least stick to reality instead of fabricating your own narrative based on the fantasy in your mind of what happened. We can all see and read the article and unless somone is trying to distort what it actually says it's very clear what it does actually say. Your'e not fooling anyone but yourself.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I pray for America sometimes. I never thought I would ever need to. It’s so sad to see. Even where I am I sometimes feel disenfranchised because there doesn’t seem to be a true Conservative party to believe in any more. I’m a social Conservative, but not necessarily an uber-capitalist.

One of the things that is the most disheartening for me is to see, what I thought was a wonderful constitution, not working the way it was meant to. :prayer:
As an American I can tell you that the Constitution is not wonderful. It served its purpose for a time and is long outdated and needs updating. We're one of the only countries that doesn't do that because we are also a country where people treat our nation as a religion and the Constitution as sacred, like the Bible. Most Americans, especially conservatives, will prove me right when asked if the Constitution needs to be changed; they'll say how perfect it is and must not ever be changed.

Even Thomas Jefferson believed that the Constitution needs to be changed ever 20 years or so:
The Founding Father That Wanted the Constitution to Change Every 20 Years (synonym.com)

Why the U.S. Constitution needs to change (theweek.com)

It's not holy or sacred, and it needs to be changed, long overdue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,976.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
That's nonsense. Crowd estimates run into the hundreds of thousands, and anybody could, if he wanted to take the time, literally count more attendees than PBS's "estimate," using the pictures that were taken of the event from drones.

Do you have a source? According to NBC the organizers put the estimate at 30K but I'm not able to find anything that shows what they thought were the numbers after the rally.

Trump to address D.C. rally where as many as 30,000 people are expected

• Informative
Reactions: Green Sun
Upvote 0

Green Sun

404: Star not found
Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟45,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Let's be clear. There is little that the Democrats or moderate Republicans can say to them. It is for the conservative Republicans to step up. It is also up to the Republicans to defeat them in primaries.

The votes of these 147 matter not at all. There is no reason to try to get their votes. What is very, very important is for Democrats and mainstream Republicans to work together to do things very quickly.

I fear that the situation is worse than what you suggest. If mainstream Republicans don't succeed the Republican Party will BE the Trump Party, with no mainstream Republican Party.
These Republicans are the mainstream Republicans now. GOP leadership has had months to refute and reject the claims coming from within their own house about widespread fraud, as they pledged supports to lawsuits that failed in court and utterly lacked legal merit from the get go.

Lindsey Graham is a perfect example of how in the last 5 years, the Republican Party forever, utterly latched themselves onto Trumpism, with no escape. From calling Trump a race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot to being one of his most ardent supporters, Republicans feared losing so much they decided to sacrifice any shred of dignity they had. It worked for them in 2016, but it didn't work for them in 2020. Now they are left forever having to deal with a Trump-loyal base that can't guarantee them a win, but can guarantee them a loss if they try to pivot away from Trumpism.

They made this monster, and now they can never escape it. They cannot work together with Democrats, or anyone who opposes Trumpism, since the Trump base will ensure their loss. They will threaten them with death, like they threatened the Vice President when he split from Trump.

Long-time GOP election official says he's receiving death threats over Trump cricitism
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...fficial-says-hes-receiving-death-threats-over
Lindsey Graham at least had the foresight to predict this, even if he would go on to be one of the great hypocrites of the GOP.
https://twitter.com/lindseygrahamsc/status/727604522156228608

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
It was not hundreds of thousands. The only thing more ridiculous than this belief was the terrorist that was killed in the Capitol raid saying there were 3 million people there. There were closer to tens of thousands, nowhere near hundreds of thousands. That said, most of those people didn't try to raid the US Capitol. That terrorist cell was always a minority of the group, but they had planned to do more mayhem at the behest of their leader.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
These Republicans are the mainstream Republicans now. GOP leadership has had months to refute and reject the claims coming from within their own house about widespread fraud, as they pledged supports to lawsuits that failed in court and utterly lacked legal merit from the get go.

You expected Republican Party leaders to fight with their president, the one who controlled the money and the votes many needed for re-election and primary fights. I've followed politics for 60 years. This position is simply unreasonable.

HOWEVER, one can much more strongly question actions since the election. Even then, it could be argued that their goals are the same as mine. Let's ride this out unit the Evil Fearless Leader is gone.
And, yes, there is no excusing those who promoted and supported the DC attacks with their tweets and their actions on the day.
=======
There are choice for the Republicans. There are also choices for Democrats. We can treat all Republicans as followers of Trump, or we can choose to work with them.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What "crowd estimates run into the hundreds of thousands"??? The estimates in your own mind? Or do you have a source to those estimates??? Because there is no outlet reporting that many people in that crowd.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Green Sun

404: Star not found
Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟45,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You expected Republican Party leaders to fight with their president, the one who controlled the money and the votes many needed for re-election and primary fights. I've followed politics for 60 years. This position is simply unreasonable.

HOWEVER, one can much more strongly question actions since the election. Even then, it could be argued that their goals are the same as mine. Let's ride this out unit the Evil Fearless Leader is gone.
And, yes, there is no excusing those who promoted and supported the DC attacks with their tweets and their actions on the day.
=======
There are choice for the Republicans. There are also choices for Democrats. We can treat all Republicans as followers of Trump, or we can choose to work with them.
I think that it's completely impossible for the Republican party to argue on good faith that they are now finally willing to work with Democrats after what they've done for the last twelve years. Ever since Obama was first elected, and they first embraced the Tea Party movement, their modus operandi has been to push back and refuse to give an inch for as long as possible to any sort of bipartisanship. The SCOTUS vacancy and the Senate refusing to have the procedure to fill it is just one of the more glaring examples. What's more, by tying themselves to Trump for so long, by embracing his base out of the fear of losing, they've made it so that any attempt to switch to a more genuine, bipartisanship effort is lashed out as being a traitor and a RINO.

Republicans have a split road ahead of them - they can choose to continue to embrace Trump's base, having to push neo-Trumps into the spotlight, hoping that the base continues to support them, as their more moderate members steadily leave and drop the party. Or, they can finally give up their insane rightward push, and finally move towards the center of politics. This will likely result in death threats from Trump's base, and moderate and independent voters will likely give them no benefit of the doubt, as the last 12 years is more than enough evidence to show they don't deserve it. Republicans are utterly aware they have only won the popular vote once in the last 8 election cycles, but they've refused to shift towards the middle to finally increase their chances.

Democrats will have full control over Congress and the Executive Branch in a few days. My hope is that we at least get PR statehood out of this, and maybe even DC statehood, too. Four more blue senate seats, and blue ECs and House seats likely shifted away from red states would strengthen the Democrat's chances of winning in the future, and if I want to be charitable, might be the kick in the pants Republicans need to stop their rightward death march.

From my perspective, I'm utterly sick of the narrative of "now we must be bipartisan", which Republicans only seem to say once they're no longer in power. Democrats have tried and tried, but Republicans refuse to ever budge an inch.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What "crowd estimates run into the hundreds of thousands"??? The estimates in your own mind? Or do you have a source to those estimates??? Because there is no outlet reporting that many people in that crowd.

He got them from the same place as the numbers for Trump's inauguration crowd.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It has been shocking to find out that the majority of Americans are part of the Deep State, BLM or Antifa. Something the people themselves didn't know in many cases.
Antifa and BLM are a highly organised and stratified cohesive organisation that are so secret even the people who rule it from their volcano lair don't even know they are part of it.

Wake up.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you understand that almost any bill requires 60 votes to pass in the Senate?

I think that it's completely impossible for the Republican party to argue on good faith that they are now finally willing to work with Democrats after what they've done for the last twelve years. Ever since Obama was first elected, and they first embraced the Tea Party movement, their modus operandi has been to push back and refuse to give an inch for as long as possible to any sort of bipartisanship. The SCOTUS vacancy and the Senate refusing to have the procedure to fill it is just one of the more glaring examples. What's more, by tying themselves to Trump for so long, by embracing his base out of the fear of losing, they've made it so that any attempt to switch to a more genuine, bipartisanship effort is lashed out as being a traitor and a RINO.

Republicans have a split road ahead of them - they can choose to continue to embrace Trump's base, having to push neo-Trumps into the spotlight, hoping that the base continues to support them, as their more moderate members steadily leave and drop the party. Or, they can finally give up their insane rightward push, and finally move towards the center of politics. This will likely result in death threats from Trump's base, and moderate and independent voters will likely give them no benefit of the doubt, as the last 12 years is more than enough evidence to show they don't deserve it. Republicans are utterly aware they have only won the popular vote once in the last 8 election cycles, but they've refused to shift towards the middle to finally increase their chances.

Democrats will have full control over Congress and the Executive Branch in a few days. My hope is that we at least get PR statehood out of this, and maybe even DC statehood, too. Four more blue senate seats, and blue ECs and House seats likely shifted away from red states would strengthen the Democrat's chances of winning in the future, and if I want to be charitable, might be the kick in the pants Republicans need to stop their rightward death march.

From my perspective, I'm utterly sick of the narrative of "now we must be bipartisan", which Republicans only seem to say once they're no longer in power. Democrats have tried and tried, but Republicans refuse to ever budge an inch.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Do you understand that almost any bill requires 60 votes to pass in the Senate?

Well, it also has to make it to the floor for a vote and not tossed into the trash...

Upvote 0