At least 3 children and 3 adults killed in Nashville private Christian elementary school shooting; shooter killed by police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
that is actually one thing I think would help in some of these mass shootings if the media would quit harping on them.
Nothing helps solve a problem quite like pretending it’s not happening.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did he die for her because he loved her?
T
Did he die for her because he loved her?
There are things you can do that make you fall out of favor with God——-
Unchecked Copy Box
Rom 9:13 - As it is written, Jacob have I loved,but Esau have I hated.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
You do not know His Word. We are to judge righteously, I.e. not hypocritically. And true followers are to judge all things, because we have the mind of Christ.
I am grateful to serve an all merciful and all just God.
Please, focus your sympathy on the real victims and stop with the virtue signaling. Hale made her choices and no amount of sympathy will change her fate now.
You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. ' But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
the question is what is that something.
Frankly, a discussion of exactly how we'd accomplish something like this isn't really important. If you think it's impossible, then sure, we can talk about that, but I'm not a policymaker - I can't tell you how we'd implement this hypothetical law.
Now, it would be more reasonable manpower wise to have people undergo such an envaule upon purchasing or receiving his/her first firearm.
That would definitely be easier to do, and it would be better than nothing, but as you already pointed out, it doesn't do anything if someone has a problem some time down the road. My proposal of periodic checks was a response to that concern.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nothing helps solve a problem quite like pretending it’s not happening.
Actually ,the point of that would be to keep people from using that to get their 15 minutes of fame. I am not suggesting that there be no mention of a mass shooting, but I am saying that there is no point in talking abut them for days on it or in bringing up OTHER shootings every time there is a new one. Keep in mind some people do not care how they get their 15 minutes of fame, so they will do bad things sometimes awful things to get it.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it was a priority we have the resources to make it happen but clearly kids being shot dead in school is a price we’re willing to pay.
Spending money sending aid to Ukraine takes priority over protecting our school children

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Frankly, a discussion of exactly how we'd accomplish something like this isn't really important. If you think it's impossible, then sure, we can talk about that, but I'm not a policymaker - I can't tell you how we'd implement this hypothetical law.

That would definitely be easier to do, and it would be better than nothing, but as you already pointed out, it doesn't do anything if someone has a problem some time down the road. My proposal of periodic checks was a response to that concern.
I would suggest with respect to the periodic checks treat them like we do arrests and search warrants; that is to say that if there is REASON to believe like red flag laws are now that a particular person is a danger to others then by all means do an evule. This way we might be ale to have an easier to having the manpower and not having people waste their time that do not need it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Spending money sending aid to Ukraine takes priority over protecting our school children
Ooh! Zing! Gotta get that pet grudge in! Nicely done!

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

@RocksInMyHead said “ Frankly, a discussion of exactly how we'd accomplish something like this isn't really important. If you think it's impossible, then sure, we can talk about that, but I'm not a policymaker - I can't tell you how we'd implement this hypothetical law.” ——. Yeah just propose something. Don’t worry about if it would actually work .

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually, we are not accountable for other people's actions even if you said we decide what the laws are the only person that are accountable for their choices to act a particular way is the person who committed the action. Driving drunk is illegal, yet we do not say that everyone is accountable when a particular person breaks that law. We can have whatever laws on the books we want at the end of the day it is up to each person to follow them or not you cannot blame others for your poor choices.

It's not just about laws; although, the policies and politicians we support are a big part. It's also about how we treat each other, the things we say on the internet, the narratives we promote about groups of people. It's the little things we do or don't do. We are responsible for each other. This idea that we are isolated individuals, solely responsible for our discrete acts, fails to take into account how interdependent we really are. Christians should know this better than most. Why are we continually being told in the NT to put the interests of others before our own, to love our neighbor as ourselves, if we have no responsibility for others? It is because our own interests are intimately tied with those of others that we are taught to consider them; our well-being is tied to theirs. American individualism is an idol and a myth. Hale was one of us on so many levels, and until we come to grips with our common share and responsibility, we will never make progress. Why do you think Jesus said by the measure which you judge so too will you be judged? It's not because God is retributive; it's because we are so intimately connected that our condemnation of others takes us with it.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm confused by your characterization of democratic solutions though....

Preventing Gun Violence - Democrats
From the link:
We believe we should expand and strengthen background checks for those who want to purchase a firearm – because it shouldn’t be easier to get a gun than a driver’s license. We believe we should ensure that guns don’t fall into the hands of terrorists (whether they be domestic or foreign), domestic abusers, other violent criminals, or those who have shown signs of danger toward themselves or others. And we believe we should treat gun violence as the deadly public health crisis it is.

In addition to what they've stated, common calls are also for AR-15 bans, magazine capacity restrictions, and closing the private purchase loophole. Some have even floated the idea of punishing gun manufacturers (who aren't the ones even directly selling the guns to people, that's the FFL dealers) when someone does something bad with the product they make. Which makes about as much sense as suing Ford when someone gets a DUI in their Mustang.

For any of those things to have a noticeable impact on the numbers, there would've had to have been a registry in place. Without knowing how many there are and who has them, passing a law aimed at private sales that are being done sans background check is going to be extremely tough to enforce as police can't be everywhere at once. Short of coordinated sting efforts to try to catch someone in the act of making an unauthorized transfer, I don't know how one plans to enforce that.

Even their official platform statement indicates that it's a preventative and not prescriptive approach. Their language of "fall into the hands" highlights that, I feel. There's 300 million guns "already in the hands" of people. Now, if there were a registry "knowing who has what", there could at least be an effort to get some of those back, and if guns were recovered at the scene of a crime or when a person was arrested, there'd be some means for police to say "Okay Bill, how did George wind up with your gun in his possession when we arrested him for drug trafficking last week??"

And...
Joe Biden's Plan to End Gun Violence | Joe Biden for President

while there are are a few ateps hes taking that may fall in your category, i think on the whole there are good ideas here.

What would be a more telling argument is, who is voting down attempts to regulate guns and what are they actively doing to limit gun violence if they are adopting others' work?

Didn't florida just reject the need for concealed carry permits now?

I'm not saying they're bad ideas...although, I do feel like their grandiose claims implying that "this recent shooting wouldn't have happened if you had enacted our policies, therefore if you don't go along with what we want, that means you don't want to protect school children" are a tad overstated and can be offputting to the other side.

I think the fear is that even if those new measures were implemented, in the era of many people having the mentality of "I expect instant results", if they could pass all of those things, the first mass shooting that happens after that are going to lead to calls to take it even further on the basis of "well, got those restrictions in place like we wanted, and the problem wasn't solved in 2 months, so that must mean we need to push for even stricter rules"

Florida did do away the need for carry permits. However, I suspect the massive attention they're getting is more due to the fact that "Florida/DeSantis bashing" has become something of popular thing. For instance, it isn't really headline grabbing when states like New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, and Idaho have the exact same permitless carry policy. Ohio recently passed it too, but Mike DeWine doesn't really draw the same level of ire as Ron DeSantis does from some of the left.

As someone who is a gun owner in Ohio, I still opted to renew my permit as the permitless carry doesn't grant all of the same privileges that having an actual permit does.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's not just about laws; although, the policies and politicians we support are a big part. It's also about how we treat each other, the things we say on the internet, the narratives we promote about groups of people. It's the little things we do or don't do. We are responsible for each other. This idea that we are isolated individuals, solely responsible for our discrete acts, fails to take into account how interdependent we really are. Christians should know this better than most. Why are we continually being told in the NT to put the interests of others before our own, to love our neighbor as ourselves, if we have no responsibility for others? It is because our own interests are intimately tied with those of others that we are taught to consider them; our well-being is tied to theirs. American individualism is an idol and a myth. Hale was one of us on so many levels, and until we come to grips with our common share and responsibility, we will never make progress. Why do you think Jesus said by the measure which you judge so too will you be judged? It's not because God is retributive; it's because we are so intimately connected that our condemnation of others takes us with it.
How can we be held accountable for other people's actions? Yes, to a certain degree we are responsible for ensuring people's BASIC needs are met, but we cannot be held respnsible for other people's actions.

Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah just propose something. Don’t worry about if it would actually work .
I could always just throw up my hands and say there's nothing we can do.

Stalling out a discussion because I - a random guy on an internet forum who has no ability to write or influence policy - don't have any interest in going into the weeds of how exactly a policy could be implemented isn't productive. As I said, if you think the policy is completely infeasible, we can talk about that.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did Jesus love her?
I’m sure he did. But if he warned about causing little children to stumble imagine how he feels about someone who murders them———. Mat 18:6 - “If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea

Upvote 0

LesSme

Aug 19, 2022
SF Bay Area
✟29,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
So you're going to double down. I guess we all have to learn in our own way. Here's something to think about: we are responsible for each other, especially given 1) that we have a voice and a vote, and 2) that Hale grew up as part of the body of Christ, a body of which you presumably consider yourself a part. Hale's act is not isolated. What Hale did was horrendous, but that individual is part of a whole. This society, and the individuals that constitute it, have a responsibility for every act of gun violence that occurs here because we enable them both through what we do and what we don't do. Christians who confess Christ but support violence and violent means through action and inaction are culpable. God sees all this. You cannot declare Hale's eternal condemnation without involving yourself in her fate. Hale is a part of you in more ways than one.
You spew so much false doctrine, it is quite deplorable. Really, you need to stop speaking/writing and open your Bible. You are also greatly puffed up. Better think and reflect long and hard on that one.
We are not responsible for the sins of others, period.
I don’t know what Hale claimed wrt God. I would be very surprised if she claimed Christ. Surely even you know that the mere fact of her one time attendance at a Christian school would not make her a Christian.
Please cease responding to me, thanks. I’m done interacting with you, at least for the time being.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.