At least 26 people killed in shooting at Texas church

Followers4christ

Love my wife, 2 sons and Daughter. God is great!!
Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
At least 26 people were killed in Sunday's church shooting in Sutherland Springs, Texas, Gov. Greg Abbott said at a press conference.

About 20 others were wounded, said Freeman Martin, a regional director with the Texas Department of Public Safety, with victims ranging in age from 5 to 72 years old.

As the suspected shooter left the church, a local resident used their own rifle to engage him, Martin said. The shooter then fled the church, while the citizen pursued him.

After a brief chase, law enforcement later found the suspect dead of a gunshot wound inside his vehicle. Authorities said they don't know if the wound was self-inflicted or the result of the resident who fired on the suspect, Martin said.

Texas church shooting: at least 26 dead - CNN

• Prayers
Reactions: Phil 1:21

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
At least 26 people were killed in Sunday's church shooting in Sutherland Springs, Texas, Gov. Greg Abbott said at a press conference.

About 20 others were wounded, said Freeman Martin, a regional director with the Texas Department of Public Safety, with victims ranging in age from 5 to 72 years old.

As the suspected shooter left the church, a local resident used their own rifle to engage him, Martin said. The shooter then fled the church, while the citizen pursued him.

After a brief chase, law enforcement later found the suspect dead of a gunshot wound inside his vehicle. Authorities said they don't know if the wound was self-inflicted or the result of the resident who fired on the suspect, Martin said.

The deepest of prayers for these poor people. May God be with them in their time of sorrow.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟816,690.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

A depraved act of pure evil enabled by easy access to firearms of people who should not have them.
These victims are martyrs but the aggressor here is a white American young man who represents the dark side of America. Time for a change and for the church to practice what it preaches in opposing a culture of violence and murder.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This guy wasn't legally allowed to possess firearms anyway, as he had been dishonorably discharged from the Air Force due a court-martial (for attacking his wife and kid). He was a sick individual. One article said he chose that church because his ex-in-laws sometimes attended. He is also described as an ex-bible study teacher, which makes sense considering he started preaching militant atheism.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟816,690.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This guy wasn't legally allowed to possess firearms anyway, as he had been dishonorably discharged from the Air Force due a court-martial (for attacking his wife and kid). He was a sick individual. One article said he chose that church because his ex-in-laws sometimes attended. He is also described as an ex-bible study teacher, which makes sense considering he started preaching militant atheism.

You are right he had firearms illegally for 3 of the below reasons. So this is not about changing firearms laws but rather about making it harder for illegals to obtain them. It could have been 4 of the below but he was only confined for 12 months after assaulting his wife and child. He had a bad conduct discharge from the army.. think that is the same as a dishonourable discharge?:

Specifically, 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1-9) prohibits the following from possessing, shipping/ transporting, or receiving any firearm or ammunition:
(1) a person convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment exceeding one year; (2) a person who is a fugitive from justice; (3) a person who is an unlawful user of or who is addicted to a controlled substance; (4) a person who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been admitted to a mental institution; (5) an alien who is unlawfully in the United States or who has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa; (6) a person who has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions; (7) a person who, having been a citizen of the United States, renounces his citizenship; (8) a person subject to a court order that was issued after a hearing in which the person participated, which order restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or partner’s child, and which order includes a finding that the person is a credible threat to such partner or partner’s child, or by its terms prohibits the use, attempted use or threatened use of such force against such partner or partner’s child; (9) a person who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

The face of domestic evil in America is militant atheism in all its forms of which this is only one.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Indeed:

The Lautenberg Amendment to the Gun Control Act of 1968, effective 30 September 1996, makes it a felony for those convicted of misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence to ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms or ammunition.

Lautenberg Amendment (ArmyStudyGuide.com)

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is a failure of the system, because he bought the AR-15 clone at a sporting goods store in San Antonio.

Why do we focus so much attention to the gun? What about how many shooter were on prescription drugs? Or what about the media giving so much attention to the shooter and the number of people they kill? Don't you think these are just as much as a factor?

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a failure of the system, because he bought the AR-15 clone at a sporting goods store in San Antonio.

How easy is it for retailers (online as well) to check whether or not someone is permitted to buy or own a gun? Can they check on some central list, covering the whole of the USA? Just curious, as I live in the UK which obviously is a lot smaller - just thought it might be a lot more difficult in America as it seems that the vast majority can legally own guns, and it's an awfully big country.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
How easy is it for retailers (online as well) to check whether or not someone is permitted to buy or own a gun? Can they check on some central list, covering the whole of the USA? Just curious, as I live in the UK which obviously is a lot smaller - just thought it might be a lot more difficult in America as it seems that the vast majority can legally own guns, and it's an awfully big country.
Even if you order a gun online you (or the one you bought the gun for) have to go to pick up it and have your (their) background check.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Even if you order a gun online you (or the one you bought the gun for) have to go to pick up it and have your (their) background check.
Yes- but anyone can buy guns easily without having to go through background checks.

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

OK, thanks :).
Anyhow, it's all absolutely horrendous. I expect this sort of thing has always gone on, I don't know. Or is it that we just hear more about it, , because of fast news reports and social media etc? Do you think that there are actually more cases of shootings or attacks on multiple people (rather than attacks on individuals)?
I begin to think there must be something in the water or something, causing people to become ill and go crazy. (Well, I know that's not really the case, but one does start to wonder)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not from a retailer since they would be responsible if you did something foolish. Maybe from a friend, family member or a drug lord.
Or a gun show. You can buy guns quite easily. Someone can even purchase a gun and give it to you as a gift. It happens all the time. To imply that one has to go to a drug lord to get a gun is silly. It's easy to get guns without having to go through background checks.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Or a gun show. You can buy guns from anyone quite easily. Someone can even purchase a gun and give it to you as a gift. It happens all the time.
Steve Crowder tried to buy a gun at the gun show that Obama claimed you could without a background check.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Steve Crowder tried to buy a gun at the gun show that Obama claimed you could without a background check.
When it is a person to person transaction instead of a retailer- then you most certainly can purchase a gun at a gun show without a background check. However- if they are a federally licensed seller- then they still make you get a background check. I have a handgun that was purchased at a gun show without a background check.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
When it is a person to person transaction instead of a retailer- then you most certainly can purchase a gun at a gun show without a background check. However- if they are a federally licensed seller- then they still make you get a background check. I have a handgun that was purchased at a gun show without a background check.
Duh. I already said you can buy a gun from a friend, family member and drug lords. I personally own a gun I bought from a friend years ago.

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Wow, sop things aren't necessarily that watertight! Of course, obviously people can buy guns quite legitimately with background checks etc. But that, unfortunately, doesn't prevent them going off the rails at some later date. I have to say I'm glad I don't live in America...I was somewhat nervous when we lived in Luxembourg and Belgium where all the policemen carried guns.
Of course, no matter what legislation, there will always be some who get round it, even in the UK. Here, you can't even buy knives, matches, glue and various other things until you're 18...I always wonder how people under 18 who've left home, even had a baby, manage to buy things for the house. Even kitchen knives, you have to show proof of age.

Upvote 0