catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Astronomy and Astrophysics News, photos, articles.

It could be fun to have a post/thread for the many believers (and seekers too) that like to see interesting Astronomy and Astrophysics and Cosmology News and articles.

Meaning stuff that is interesting news from observations, and photos/images from those.
New ideas/hypothesis from science articles trying to understand more about how stars work.
And galaxies
And collapsars (Neutron Stars and Black Holes, white dwarfs, etc.)
And the Universe large structure and change over time.

Last edited:

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just saw this interesting new observation and idea about how much water is under Mars soil -- a lot!

In a study published today in the journal Science, researchers using the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) investigated eight steep and eroded slopes (known as scarps) at various locations across Mars. At each of these locations, they found thick shelves of relatively pure water ice located as little as 3.3 feet (1 meter) below the planet’s surface. Furthermore, some of these massive ice deposits were found to be more than 330 feet (100 meters) thick.
-- Massive, deep deposits of ice found on Mars

Wow!

We know that the Martian atmosphere was eroded by normal Solar Wind over time, and dried out.

The planet surface dessicated. Mars doesn't have enough magnetic field to fend off the solar wind and retain water vapor much.

But a lot of ice under the soil is still there!

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA0Ny83MTMvb3JpZ2luYWwvc291dGhlcm4tY3Jvc3MtZm91ci1zdGFycy5qcGc=

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Although i'm far from an expert on the matter, i have recently learned (or seen confirmed) that the main stream science behind our universe from galaxies to the smallest particles should not be taken for granted.
Just like anything mainstream actually...

Upvote 0

Macril

Jan 17, 2018
Oslo
✟2,546.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i have recently learned (or seen confirmed) that the main stream science behind our universe from galaxies to the smallest particles should not be taken for granted.

Great, do link this momentous revelation.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Although i'm far from an expert on the matter, i have recently learned (or seen confirmed) that the main stream science behind our universe from galaxies to the smallest particles should not be taken for granted.
Nothing in science should ever be taken for granted. Scientists certainly don't do so.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That's true in some key ways -> Elementary particle physics (the building blocks of all this Universe as we think of it so far) is on the most fundamental level -- the most foundational level of physics -- very much in flux with new hypotheses it seems like every month or two, sometimes more often.

We think we cannot explain (not in a currently testable way, nor even a speculation that most physicists think is credible either!) about 95% of what this Universe is!

That non-radiative (no radiation from it) unknown stuff we think may exist that we call "dark matter" and the stuff we call "dark energy" -- meaning they don't emit nor do they absorb (we think) any light or EM radiation of any kind so far as we can tell. And even whether they really exist or instead we just have some really basic things wrong, etc.
So many speculations!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟276,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here is an image I took of the radio galaxy Centaurus A taken with red, green, blue and UV filters.
The intense blue colour is from UV radiation from very hot stars.
ngc5128_sjastro.jpg

A higher resolution image with technical details on the imaging is here.
NGC 5128

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is an image I took of the radio galaxy Centaurus A taken with red, green, blue and UV filters.
The intense blue colour is from UV radiation from very hot stars.
ngc5128_sjastro.jpg

A higher resolution image with technical details on the imaging is here.
NGC 5128

Sweet! Nice detail.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
And collapsars (Neutron Stars and Black Holes, white dwarfs, etc.)
And the Universe large structure and change over time.

Black holes tend to be some of the most enigmatic objects in the universe:

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2014/06/04/black-holes/

Based on the results, the team found not only that the measured magnetic fields can be as strong as a black hole’s gravity, but that they are also comparable in strength to those produced inside MRI machines found in hospitals–roughly 10,000 times greater than the field of the Earth itself.

Tchekhovskoy says the new results mean theorists must re-evaluate their understanding of black-hole behavior. “The magnetic fields are strong enough to dramatically alter how gas falls into black holes and how gas produces outflows that we do observe, much stronger than what has usually been assumed,” he says. “We need to go back and look at our models once again.”

Some studies, like the study above suggest that black holes posses *massive* magnetic fields, whereas other studies suggest just the opposite.

New research collaboration with UTSA professor challenges existing models of black holes | UTSA Today | UTSA | The University of Texas at San Antonio

These new and unique observations of the jets and estimates of magnetic field of V404 Cygni involved studying the body at several different wavelengths. These tests allowed the group to gain a much clearer understanding of the strength of its magnetic field. They discovered that magnetic fields are much weaker than previously understood, a puzzling finding that calls into question previous models of black hole components. The research shows a deep need for continued studies on some of the most mysterious entities in space.

“We need to understand black holes in general,” Packham said. “If we go back to the very earliest point in our universe, just after the big bang, there seems to have always been a strong correlation between black holes and galaxies. It seems that the birth and evolution of black holes and galaxies, our cosmic island, are intimately linked. Our results are surprising and one that we’re still trying to puzzle out.”

Quasars posses supermassive black holes which seem to be at odds with our understanding of the universe.

Biggest Thing in Universe Found—Defies Scientific Theory

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Black holes tend to be some of the most enigmatic objects in the universe:

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2014/06/04/black-holes/

Some studies, like the study above suggest that black holes posses *massive* magnetic fields, whereas other studies suggest just the opposite.

New research collaboration with UTSA professor challenges existing models of black holes | UTSA Today | UTSA | The University of Texas at San Antonio

Quasars posses supermassive black holes which seem to be at odds with our understanding of the universe.

Biggest Thing in Universe Found—Defies Scientific Theory

Much to figure out there! One thought: the magnetic field result of a black hole and accretion disk (together) should be depending on the mass of that accretion disk, that ionized plasma spinning in a circle, and the resulting magnetic field it seems altogether producing the relativistic jets. A lot to untangle, but why shouldn't every hole then be unique, or many, with varying accretion disk situations? That's a good first ling there.

Here's an article I saw, or like one I saw, lol, in the last couple of months:
https://phys.org/news/2012-11-strong-magnetic-fields-alignment-black.html#nRlv

It's mind stretching to think on it, cause like what-if -- what-if the material that gets inside the event horizon still has large magnetic field in such a configuration to allow it to levitate there inside/under the surface of the event horizon but still far from the singularity. dude!

ah, maybe this is the one I was seeing I thinking of, lemme read :
https://phys.org/news/2018-01-geometry-nuclear-black-hole-accretion.html#nRlv

No, that wasn't the one, this one is:
https://phys.org/news/2017-12-rare-glimpse-black-hole-magnetic.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Dreger
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,994.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I take it from this that you have recently learned that the underlying principle of science is to take nothing for granted. This has been a fundamental of the practice of science for the last few centuries and is why it is such a successful methodology for learning about the universe. However, a discussion of this is off-topic on this thread. If you wish to talk about the principles further pm me, or start an appropriate thread.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,994.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I don't want to derail this thread, but the plan of salvation is in the stars.
You don't want to, but you just can't stop yourself.

Back on topic: Padovan et al "Volcanic Infillings of Large Basins on Mercury as Indicators of Mantle
Thermal State and Composition
" Geophysical Research Abstracts Vol. 19, 2017

If you are interested in the history of Mercury then this report on simulation of mantle dynamics is for you. Unfortunately only the abstract is available, but the conclusions are clearly stated.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.