United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
AstraZeneca ups coronavirus vaccine capacity to 2 billion doses - CNN

London(CNN Business)AstraZeneca says it has secured capacity to produce 2 billion doses of a potential coronavirus vaccine being developed in partnership with researchers at Oxford University.

The new production figure includes 400 million doses that will be provided to low and middle-income countries before the end of this year.

Typically, companies wait to start the manufacturing process until a vaccine is proven to be safe and effective. But several drugmakers are working on an accelerated timetable in the hope of mitigating the coronavirus pandemic.

AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot said Friday that researchers should have enough data to determine whether the vaccine is safe and effective by September. "We are starting to manufacture this vaccine right now and we have to have it ready to be used by the time we have the results," he told BBC Radio.

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟61,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Big pharma is doing a great job on getting a vaccine to market. I am glad they are taking the risk (much of this is being paid for by Bill Gates) to make more doses, even before they know it is safe. Otherwise we would have to wait several months to get more produced. I am hoping for competing vaccines, that we will have a choice of vaccines to choose from. If results are near equal, the best case scenario would be a vaccine from an American Pharma company, that was done with private money and not one dependent on non-profits or groups like the WHO.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Big pharma is doing a great job on getting a vaccine to market. I am glad they are taking the risk (much of this is being paid for by Bill Gates) to make more doses, even before they know it is safe. Otherwise we would have to wait several months to get more produced. I am hoping for competing vaccines, that we will have a choice of vaccines to choose from. If results are near equal, the best case scenario would be a vaccine from an American Pharma company, that was done with private money and not one dependent on non-profits or groups like the WHO.
I think Bill Gates is likely using a non-profit. Not sure what you have against them. I agree that it's an interesting approach. Let's hope one of those companies gets a usable vaccine. It would be embarrassing if the best vaccine came from an obscure company that wasn't being funded to start production in advance. It's probably a worthwhile gamble though. I work at a university. A vaccine that comes in time for a normal spring semester would be really, really helpful.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟61,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think Bill Gates is likely using a non-profit. Not sure what you have against them. I agree that it's an interesting approach. Let's hope one of those companies gets a usable vaccine. It would be embarrassing if the best vaccine came from an obscure company that wasn't being funded to start production in advance. It's probably a worthwhile gamble though. I work at a university. A vaccine that comes in time for a normal spring semester would be really, really helpful.
I guess I was wrongly influenced by the conspiracy theories surrounding Bill Gates. Still, he is quite the globalist and too much of an influencer in my opinion. Having worked for big pharma in the past, I still would prefer a vaccine from Merck, Johnson and Johnson or Pfizer. All American companies with a long track record. Moderna and a couple of other start-ups also are in the mix. Astra Zeneca, Roche and Glaxo Smith Kline have thrown their hat in from Europe. Almost all of these companies have partnered up for both research and manufacturing so best case we may have a choice of vaccines.

Upvote 0

DaveISBA

Mar 1, 2020
Richmond
✟33,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Evidentially the plague of covid-19 is over! Just a few weeks ago people were being blasted for not following preventative measures and accused of killing their grandmothers!
Yes even going to jail as did a minister in Florida, arrested and sent to jail for having church services even though the church practiced safe distancing and filtered the air?
But now the pandemic must be over! For several days we've seen demonstrators crowded together, holding hands, hugging, breathing on each other and nary a word from the same people who, just weeks ago, loved enforcing these safety measures on other demonstrators complaining about the governmental lock downs who sat in their cars? Either the plague of covid-19 is over or these are the biggest hypocrite we've witnessed in recent times?

Last edited:
Upvote 0