Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I said that Peter received the Spirit AT Pentecost. And I asked you why we should believe you have the authority to "take things upon yourself".

You got to remember that this guy has an all seeing eye! He can see aliens coming etc etc!!

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
You've made a friend I see ;) 2 Peter 3:3 :wave:

Matthew 7:15
15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.

Ephesians 4:14
14 so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the cunning of men, by their craftiness in deceitful wiles.

Jeremiah 23:16
16 Thus says the Lord of hosts: “Do not listen to the words of the prophets who prophesy to you, filling you with vain hopes; they speak visions of their own minds, not from the mouth of the Lord.

Ezekiel 13:9
9 My hand will be against the prophets who see delusive visions and who give lying divinations; they shall not be in the council of my people, nor be enrolled in the register of the house of Israel, nor shall they enter the land of Israel; and you shall know that I am the Lord God.

:wave::wave::wave::wave:

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for your opinion.
More than opinion given as facts were pointed out. Leaving those unaddressed does give credence to opinion and speculation however. Clearly if someone wanted others to see them as having secret knowledge like a prophet and also superior in Spirituality to the Apostles they probably leave those points unaddressed.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To be crystal clear what I am saying is that Peter's was an earthly choice while Paul was a Spiritual choice. The church needed both and for them to work together but they weren't very good at doing that. Like most Christians. Peter should have forgiven Paul for his prior actions. That is way Jesus mentions forgiveness right after breathing on them, because he knew that after the Holy spirit was given that forgiveness would be the issue for the church in becoming successful. I am actually trying to do what Peter and Paul did in some respects because now is the time.

What I am saying is that God and the holy were there but the Holy Spirit was not inside of them till the day of Pentecost.

(I have to go but will back later)
God bless
Rob
How is it possible for ANYONE to "know" the Apostles were not being led by God until Pentecost?
I think adding that "knowledge" to the story when it is clearly absent is being presumptuous toward God who is clearly capable of repeatedly shown influencing people to act before Pentecost anytime He wished. I think am about done helping anyone self promote their own importance and that of their "knowledge".

• Agree
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Garth, pleased to make you acquaintance.

Yeah your about right but I'm not saying party (although that's a nice idea) and I'm not saying nap (although that's a nice idea too) What I'm saying is get ready for the worst time in human history and these are the terrible things that will happen. This information is all available for free on the site, the book just fills out more details to the pertinent facts on the site. The site is for everyone. The book is really only for those who want to study it at length.
Like I said, self promotion. Am done. Maybe you'll make a profit selling it, hopefully not.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Guide To The Bible

Guide To The Bible
Jan 23, 2017
Britain
✟31,977.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How is it possible for ANYONE to "know" the Apostles were not being led by God until Pentecost?
I think adding that "knowledge" to the story when it is clearly absent is being presumptuous toward God who is clearly capable of repeatedly shown influencing people to act before Pentecost anytime He wished. I think am about done helping anyone self promote their own importance and that of their "knowledge".
Now you're just putting words in my mouth. Poor show Garth. I am simply trying to make you aware the Holy Spirit was put inside the Apostles bodies for the first time on the day of Pentecost and not before. If you disagree with this then you are deceived.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,013.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pentecost was when the Holy Spirit was poured out on believers and could live IN them. But he was around before then and was quite active in the OT. Before Pentecost, Jesus had already sent the disciples out to perform miracles, and he also breathed on them and said "receive the Holy Spirit".

If someone disagrees with you, it just means they disagree with you. It doesn't mean they are deceived.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,013.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm still not talking to you. And what I just said here is me still not talking to you.

Whether or not you're talking to me, you can't stop me from posting in your threads and making observations and comments, which other people may read.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes that's rule one & two and are the basics, great, but your missing the bigger picture what Jesus and the Bible is all about. That is why I am pointing out all the scriptures that teach us about all the other aspects of what it means to be a Christians. Your view is polarised by an over emphasis on love. Which in and of itself is not bad but when it becomes your only focus you are denying what Jesus also taught us, because although Jesus is widely recognised as a very loving person, it wasn’t the main subject he tried to teach everyone. In fact, during His ministry, He only spoke and taught about love on six occasions, as recorded in the historical records written by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. This, therefore, represents less than one percent of His total ministerial teaching. Love wasn’t the only reason He came to Earth. If it was, then Jesus would have instead taught us more about love, but clearly He had more important things to tell us in the time he was with us. So what was Jesus trying to teach us:

Jesus talked about Heaven and Hell quite a bit. The word Heaven is spoken by Jesus 123 times and Hell 46 times. Clearly, Jesus wanted us to know that these two places are real and we’ll all end up in one or the other after this life. That said, around nearly a fifth of everything Jesus said related to money and possessions. He spoke even more about this subject than Heaven and Hell combined. This was because Jesus understood how money itself can become a god. Money was just as important then as it is now and He knew that the world would end up turning to money more and more as the basis for its way of life.

However, above all and by a big margin Jesus taught more about the coming Kingdom and His return than any other subject. Over half of everything Jesus is recorded as saying related to this coming event. The phrase ‘Kingdom of God’ appears fifty-three times in the New Testament Gospels and ‘Kingdom of Heaven’ appears thirty-two times in the Gospel of Matthew alone. Jesus also made a specific point about this coming Kingdom at the very beginning of his ministry:

Mark 1:14-15

14 Jesus came to Galilee, proclaiming the Good News of God, and saying, 15 “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the Good News”.

Although Jesus spoke little about love, He demonstrated His love by dying an excruciating death on our behalf (actions speak louder than words). Jesus argued for the truth till it cost Him His life. He didn’t turn from His convictions about what the truth of this reality really is. He also died in order to pay the price for all our sins so that man and God could be reconciled and anyone who believes this may know God too. Jesus did all this because He loves us.

As mentioned, Jesus taught about his return and the coming Kingdom more than anything else and the Old Testament warns us about this too. Over eighty times it says about the day on which Jesus would return, often referred to as the great and terrible day of the Lord. The Bible contains a wealth of information about the future. It predicted Jesus first coming nearly two thousand years ago, to the exact month and year, and it also gives us many signs and prophesies for those awaiting His second coming to recognise too. The Bible also lays out a complete history of the world from creation to the end of time and with prayerful study all this knowledge can be revealed in detail, allowing us today to know exactly when, where, who and what to expect; thus preparing us for everything that God wants us to be ready for and by being aware of God’s plan we can work to it accordingly.

However, the Devil has tried hard to keep this plan from man. He knows that the more we know about the truth of this reality and its future, the more effective as Christians we will be. Satan has done much to try and hide from mankind the key pieces of information about God’s plan but as always God manages to make a way so that we can piece together the information given to us in the Bible. Jesus taught us that the Old Testament was to be believed in its entirety and quoted from much of it Himself:

John 10:35

“The Scriptures cannot be discredited”.

The New Testament testifies to the Old and they are in complete harmony, showing that Jesus was the fulfilment of the prophesied Old Testament Hebrew Messiah, which means anointed and in Greek anointed is Christos or Christ. So simply by believing what you read, rather than reading what you believe and letting the Bible interpret the Bible, then the secret plan God has for mankind’s future can be revealed. Letting us know the when, where and who of the End-Times. I hope pray you will grow more in you faith and become a more mature Christian as we rapidly head towards the great tribulation.

The 'quality' of Jesus teaching is more important than the 'quantity' or the amount of times he taught on certain subjects.

Dont get bogged down in numbers and stats.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Whatever you do don't get bogged down with telling anyone you believe Jesus is your saviour.

No need to tell anyone as a true follower will show it through how they live!

Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The New Testament testifies to the Old and they are in complete harmony, showing that Jesus was the fulfilment of the prophesied Old Testament Hebrew Messiah, which means anointed and in Greek anointed is Christos or Christ. So simply by believing what you read, rather than reading what you believe and letting the Bible interpret the Bible, then the secret plan God has for mankind’s future can be revealed. Letting us know the when, where and who of the End-Times. I hope pray you will grow more in you faith and become a more mature Christian as we rapidly head towards the great tribulation.

This will probably be my last post in this thread, as I am tired of the run around.

The Bible cannot interpret itself, as it is a book. It is completely impossible for a book to interpret itself.

The interpretation comes from the mindset of the reader, no matter what, and there is no escaping this.

There are hundreds of interpretations of any verse of scripture out there on the internet for all to read. This is the primary cause as to the large amount of denominations that we see today, because of interpretation. Everybody and anybody can claim that they and their sole interpretation of the Bible is led by the Holy Spirit, and therefore is correct, and there is nothing stopping them from going out and starting their own church based off of those interpretations.

How did this happen? It's very simple, and we will go to history to see why.

Before the invention of the printing press, all Bibles were hand written and too expensive for the commoner to afford, therefore they were mostly in Churches. The Church, had sole authority over interpretation of the Bible, and this is often refereed to as part of the 3 legged stool analogy.

Now one might ask, how would the Church have sole authority over interpreting scripture? This comes from the main reason as to why the protestant reformation happened; authority. During this time, many lashed out against the authority of the Church, believing that the sole authority we have here on earth is the Bible; aka Sola Scriptura. This basically meant that the flood gates had been open to self-interpretation of the Bible. Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with personally reading the Bible, far from it. However, not everybody will read each part of scripture the same.

Lets simply take a look at the topic of baptism. There are large divisions over whether baptism is needed or not, symbolic or not, even over the words "water and the Spirit." This was not the case before the reformation, as it was widely agreed that baptism was needed and necessary. But now, with the large amount of differences in teachings between denominations, there is war on what the meaning of baptism is. And this is only one example.

The reason the Church had authority over the interpretation of scripture, is because the scriptures came from the Church herself. Most Christians tend to believe that the Bible just simply came to be, and this is not the case. The Bible was not around until late in the 4th century, when after a series of councils and synods, an agreement came as to what books were allowed to be read in mass, and these became the Bible. Prior to this, there was no Bible, and no collection of books that were known to be sacred scripture other than the OT.

The Church declared the books in the NT and OT to be divinely inspired and sacred scripture, and the Bible came to be. Now since the Bible is a product of the Church, the Church had authority over it's interpretation. The common argument against this is that the Holy Spirit is the interpreter of the Bible. But this begs the question, who then has the Holy Spirit to interpret the Bible and how do we know who is true and who is false? This leads back to we have to judge what they say against the Bible. It is circular logic, as everything spirals in a circle with no definitive answer.

Case in point, if person A claims that they are led by the Holy Spirit and their interpretation of say John 3:5 is that the water is referencing the "broken water" a mother has shortly before giving birth to her child, and person B also claims to be led by the Holy Spirit, but say that John 3:5 is talking of physical water as in baptism, how are we to know which one is correct and who is led by the Holy Spirit?

We cannot simple go to the Bible and ask "which is correct for John 3:5?", as the Bible does not interpret itself. There needs to be a higher authority on earth that we can turn to in order to see who is correct.

This leads right into denominations. But this begs the question, which denomination is right? Since all denominations have their own interpretation of scripture, things start to become murky.

We need to look into history to see who would have the correct interpretation. This feeds right back into where the Bible came from, and how it came to be. Which Church put the Bible together, kept it together, and spread it across the world between the time after Jesus left us and went into heaven, and the late 4th century where it was finally declared sacred scripture?

This leads us to the 4 Apostolic Churches; the Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Oriental Orthodox Church, and the Church of the East.

To further narrow it down, one must delve into the writings of the early Church and it's fathers to see which Church most closely relates to these teachings, and there we have the 1 Church who has the authority over the interpretation of the Bible.

To end this long post: the Bible cannot, does not, and will not interpret itself.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Ezekiel 3:18
When I say to a wicked person, 'You will surely die,' and you do not warn them or speak out to dissuade them from their evil ways in order to save their life, that wicked person will die for their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood.

Ezekiel 33:9
But if you do warn the wicked person to turn from their ways and they do not do so, they will die for their sin, though you yourself will be saved.

Acts 20
26Therefore, I declare to you today that I am innocent of the blood of any of you. 27For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God.

1 Corinthians 4:4
My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me.

1 Timothy 4
4 The Holy Spirit tells us in plain words that in the last days some people will turn away from the faith. They will listen to what is said about spirits and follow the teaching about demons. 2 Those who teach this tell it as the truth when they know it is a lie. They do it so much that their own hearts no longer say it is wrong

Hebrews 13:9
9 Do not be led away by diverse and strange teachings; for it is well that the heart be strengthened by grace, not by foods, which have not benefited their adherents

2 Peter 3:17
17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, beware lest you be carried away with the error of lawless men and lose your own stability.

Romans 16:17
17 I appeal to you, brethren, to take note of those who create dissensions and difficulties, in opposition to the doctrine which you have been taught; avoid them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
1 Timothy 4
4 The Holy Spirit tells us in plain words that in the last days some people will turn away from the faith. They will listen to what is said about spirits and follow the teaching about demons. 2 Those who teach this tell it as the truth when they know it is a lie. They do it so much that their own hearts no longer say it is wrong

Are you saying that Jesus is a Demon then?

Hebrews 13:9
9 Do not be led away by diverse and strange teachings; for it is well that the heart be strengthened by grace, not by foods, which have not benefited their adherents

Are you saying Jesus' teaching strange and diverse?

2 Peter 3:17
17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, beware lest you be carried away with the error of lawless men and lose your own stability.

Are you calling Jesus' teaching error?

Romans 16:17
17 I appeal to you, brethren, to take note of those who create dissensions and difficulties, in opposition to the doctrine which you have been taught; avoid them.

Good advise think i might start avoiding you?

Refers to you and your teachings obviously! :doh::doh::doh:

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
My teachings are not my own but are from the Word of God.

Oh, Jesus taught that Aliens were coming to destroy the world and that they would be steering an asteroid to earth with the devil sitting on it!! :scratch: Thats your teachings!! :doh:

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,013.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whatever you do don't get bogged down with telling anyone you believe Jesus is your saviour.

:eek:
Jesus commanded us to preach the Gospel, baptise and make disciples. It is, and should be, a joy and privilege to tell people who Jesus is and how to receive eternal life. And you warn against getting "bogged down"!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.