NW England
✟1,052,155.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And you again show that you think Peter had the Holy Spirit before the day of Pentecost:
"If you're talking about on the day of Pentecost, Jesus told them not to preach or witness to him until they had received the Holy Spirit. That had just happened, so Peter was free to do as Jesus had said. We don't know, anyway, that the Spirit didn't prompt him."

I'm referring to Peter standing up, on the day of Pentecost, and delivering a sermon which converted 3000 people. He did this AFTER he had received the Holy Spirit.

None of what you are saying makes sense. You seem to be blasting Peter for doing/being wrong, but you say you are "taking it upon yourself" to do something, as Peter did.
IF Peter hadn't received the Spirit when he appointed Matthias and did, therefore "take this upon himself" - did it off his own bat, in his own strength - then you are saying that you are doing as Peter did.
So you are implying - by your own words - that you do not have the authority to say the things you are saying.

Upvote 0

Guide To The Bible

Guide To The Bible
Jan 23, 2017
Britain
✟31,977.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I rather think I said one time that someone declaring things like this makes themselves their own prophet and apostle. So my vision in that regard has been crystal clear on that call. But thanks for clearing that up finally by confirming it for everyone else. I would think a declared prophet and apostle would help sell more books, perhaps the Amazon count will improve and some real reviews get posted.

Maybe I missed this, but I seem to recall you were arguing that Saint Peter was wrong. So if that memory is not wrong, am at loss why you would appeal to his (valid and Spirit guided) decision now. Unless you are also saying two wrongs make a right perhaps. (not that I agree the Saint was wrong to start a replacement process for Judas seat and let God finish it)
Thanks for your opinion.

Upvote 0

Guide To The Bible

Guide To The Bible
Jan 23, 2017
Britain
✟31,977.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Paul was a learned man, Peter a fisherman. Paul was not a "Bible genius", and Paul had no Authority over Peter for it was Peter alone who was made head of the apostles.

I could say to my superior that their uniform is messed up and not up to code, but I in no way have authority over them.

And you are implying that it does have to do with Matthias every time you use it to show that somehow Peter was wrong to appoint Matthias.
Paul was not a "Bible genius"
He wrote 32% of the NT, more than anyone else. He studied under the second greatest Rabbi in history. He was a Pharisee of Pharisees. He was chose out of all the people on Earth by The God of the Universe to reveal Old Testament scriptures to the church and you (who ever you are) say Paul wasn't a Bible genius????

And I did not say Paul had authority over Peter, I said 'Paul had authority over Peter when it comes to Biblical knowledge.' Which is different to the words you put in my mouth.

Upvote 0

Guide To The Bible

Guide To The Bible
Jan 23, 2017
Britain
✟31,977.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm referring to Peter standing up, on the day of Pentecost, and delivering a sermon which converted 3000 people. He did this AFTER he had received the Holy Spirit.

None of what you are saying makes sense. You seem to be blasting Peter for doing/being wrong, but you say you are "taking it upon yourself" to do something, as Peter did.
IF Peter hadn't received the Spirit when he appointed Matthias and did, therefore "take this upon himself" - did it off his own bat, in his own strength - then you are saying that you are doing as Peter did.
So you are implying - by your own words - that you do not have the authority to say the things you are saying.

Strong in him

All morning I have been trying to get you to see that Peter appointed Matthias before the day of Pentecost and therefore appointed Matthias without the Holy Spirit. See posts #37 & #39

Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So if you think they were filled with the Holy Spirit before Pentecost are you saying that the Holy Spirit just laid dormant until they the day of Pentecost when they saw tongues of fire rest on them and started to speak in tongues and 3000 foreigners were converted??

No, I am saying that they had already received a portion of the Holy Spirit, the authority to forgive or retain sins, in John 20:22-23.

All morning I have been trying to get you to see that Peter appointed Matthias before the day of Pentecost and therefore appointed Matthias without the Holy Spirit. See posts #37 & #39

Peter had been given the Authority over the Church by Jesus Christ, in Matthew 16:18-19, and given the keys to the kingdom of Heaven, making him the steward of the house of the Lord.

Peter had every authority to elect a new apostle, which was Matthias. Peter was not wrong in this, and nowhere in the Bible does it state that.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,155.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Strong in him

I'm well aware of that.

For the last few hours I have been asking you to show what authority you have to make all these claims. You haven't answered, but deflect with references to Peter and Paul - usually taken out of context.

• Agree
Reactions: Wolf_Says
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This relates to watching out for Jesus' first coming:

Ezekiel 3:17
"Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the people of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me.

This relates to the fulfilment of that watching out and John was the watchman:

John 3:29
The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom's voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete.

This relates to watching out for Jesus' second coming:

Mark 13:35
35“Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back—whether in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. 36 If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. 37 What I say to you, I say to everyone: ‘Watch!’ ”
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

"God, we all know that much, well most of us anyway." Mmmm?

Know what?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

"Who gave that responsibility and authority for whatever is seen as being a part of that role?"

Well that's what I'm saying about Peter in relation to myself. If you could tell me who gave Peter authority to stand up and for that matter Paul to get the better of Peter then I could tell you who gave me authority to do what I am doing.
Actually this conflates the notions God was talking about with prophesy. He is telling people to individual and collectively (the whole Church) be ready RIGHT NOW to meet your Maker because none of us knows when that will occur. Watch in that context means do not be caught napping (as in not doing what we should be doing).

Agreed He definitely says there will be troubles for Christians before His return, and we all get that. But He follows that immediately with saying no one knows when that will occur, so be ready as His Servants, each doing "his work" now and never be caught "sleeping".

The very power of those Words is stripped away by some dude hawking a book on the internet saying 'no worries mate, He ain;t coming until Sep 24, 2029, so party on Garth' . The false claims being repeatedly claimed over the last few hundred years suggests a nap isn't so bad now that we know we have some time left.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. Jesus resurrects (Day 1)
2. Jesus appears for 40 days
3. Jesus says they will be filled with the Holy Spirit and to wait for that.
4. Jesus Ascends to Heaven on day 40
5. Peter decides to fulfil David's prophesy himself without the Holy Spirit.
6. The day of Pentecost (Day 50) comes and NOW they receive the Holy Spirit and 3000 foreigners convert in one day!
7. Jesus then fulfils David's prophesy and Paul is filled with the Holy Spirit
8. Paul rebukes Peter and Peter is condemed

So again, if we are suppose to see point 5 has "proof" Saint Peter did anything wrong, and you actually claim now to be doing the same thing Saint Peter did in "deciding yourself to fill in the knowledge the Son of Man said no one even He did not have" - why should it be not be just as wrong for you as you claim it was Saint Peter?

Adding - note that few believe the Holy Spirit went AWOL or on strike such that God would be unable to answer the Apostles or Saint Peter's prayers until after Pentecost.
Where exactly did God disappear to if He was temporarily absent?

Upvote 0

Guide To The Bible

Guide To The Bible
Jan 23, 2017
Britain
✟31,977.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, I am saying that they had already received a portion of the Holy Spirit, the authority to forgive or retain sins, in John 20:22-23.

'A portion' What portion would that be? Their arm perhaps? Or may be an eye? Or are you talking about a percentage as if the Holy Spirit is just pure spirit that can portioned out. After all it does say the Spirit will be poured out. So lets say they were 'poured' out some into their bodies but not enough for any of them to notice, and say anything. Such a small amount that it didn't do anything, practically laying dormant. Well every experience I know of when the Spirit comes is not like that at all and I'm not just talking about personal experience. I mean from others testimonies down through the centuries. Do you have any experience of the Holy Spirit? Have read and talked to and watched what the Holy actually does?

Peter had been given the Authority over the Church by Jesus Christ, in Matthew 16:18-19, and given the keys to the kingdom of Heaven, making him the steward of the house of the Lord.

Peter had every authority to elect a new apostle, which was Matthias. Peter was not wrong in this, and nowhere in the Bible does it state that.
I don't dispute any of this, what I am saying is that it was an earthly choice while Paul was a Spiritual choice. The church needed both and for them to work together but they weren't very good at doing that. Like most Christians. Peter should have forgiven Paul for his prior actions. That is way Jesus mentions forgiveness right after breathing on them, because he knew that after the Holy spirit was given that forgiveness would be the issue for the church in becoming successful.

Upvote 0

Guide To The Bible

Guide To The Bible
Jan 23, 2017
Britain
✟31,977.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm well aware of that.

For the last few hours I have been asking you to show what authority you have to make all these claims. You haven't answered, but deflect with references to Peter and Paul - usually taken out of context.
You weren't aware of that and still have not learnt what I am showing you.

I suppose what you want is some kind of miracle. like for me to walk into your room right now and turn into some kind of shining light and perhaps throw in a few singing angels too. Sorry to disappoint you but God does not work like that and if you knew the Bible better, which by this mornings trial, is clear you don't. (As well as trying to dissembling your own claims that are there for all to see), then you would know God works in ways that we do not understand easily. His ways are not our ways. I don't want to talk to you very much because I find your dogmatic one dimensional theology abrasive to my person. So if I don't respond much in future please try to understand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,155.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You weren't aware of that and still have not learnt what I am showing you.

Sorry, but you have no right to tell me what I was, or wasn't, aware of, or to criticise me for failing to learn - when you won't answer the question I have repeatedly asked you.

Goodbye.

Upvote 0

Guide To The Bible

Guide To The Bible
Jan 23, 2017
Britain
✟31,977.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually this conflates the notions God was talking about with prophesy. He is telling people to individual and collectively (the whole Church) be ready RIGHT NOW to meet your Maker because none of us knows when that will occur. Watch in that context means do not be caught napping (as in not doing what we should be doing).

Agreed He definitely says there will be troubles for Christians before His return, and we all get that. But He follows that immediately with saying no one knows when that will occur, so be ready as His Servants, each doing "his work" now and never be caught "sleeping".

The very power of those Words is stripped away by some dude hawking a book on the internet saying 'no worries mate, He ain;t coming until Sep 24, 2029, so party on Garth' . The false claims being repeatedly claimed over the last few hundred years suggests a nap isn't so bad now that we know we have some time left.
Hi Garth, pleased to make you acquaintance.

Yeah your about right but I'm not saying party (although that's a nice idea) and I'm not saying nap (although that's a nice idea too) What I'm saying is get ready for the worst time in human history and these are the terrible things that will happen. This information is all available for free on the site, the book just fills out more details to the pertinent facts on the site. The site is for everyone. The book is really only for those who want to study it at length.

Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Garth, pleased to make you acquaintance.

Yeah your about right but I'm not saying party (although that's a nice idea) and I'm not saying nap (although that's a nice idea too) What I'm saying is get ready for the worst time in human history and these are the terrible things that will happen. This information is all available for free on the site, the book just fills out more details to the pertinent facts on the site. The site is for everyone. The book is really only for those who want to study it at length.

The Bible clearly states that nobody will know when Jesus will return, or when the world will end.

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
'A portion' What portion would that be? Their arm perhaps? Or may be an eye? Or are you talking about a percentage as if the Holy Spirit is just pure spirit that can portioned out. After all it does say the Spirit will be poured out. So lets say they were 'poured' out some into their bodies but not enough for any of them to notice, and say anything. Such a small amount that it didn't do anything, practically laying dormant. Well every experience I know of when the Spirit comes is not like that at all and I'm not just talking about personal experience. I mean from others testimonies down through the centuries. Do you have any experience of the Holy Spirit? Have read and talked to and watched what the Holy actually does?

Yes, the ability to forgive and retain sins. Who are you to say what I have and have not seen?

I don't need to give any personal experience here, nor should I, as it cannot be validated and does not pertain to the topic at hand.

Upvote 0

Guide To The Bible

Guide To The Bible
Jan 23, 2017
Britain
✟31,977.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So again, if we are suppose to see point 5 has "proof" Saint Peter did anything wrong, and you actually claim now to be doing the same thing Saint Peter did in "deciding yourself to fill in the knowledge the Son of Man said no one even He did not have" - why should it be not be just as wrong for you as you claim it was Saint Peter?

To be crystal clear what I am saying is that Peter's was an earthly choice while Paul was a Spiritual choice. The church needed both and for them to work together but they weren't very good at doing that. Like most Christians. Peter should have forgiven Paul for his prior actions. That is way Jesus mentions forgiveness right after breathing on them, because he knew that after the Holy spirit was given that forgiveness would be the issue for the church in becoming successful. I am actually trying to do what Peter and Paul did in some respects because now is the time.

Adding - note that few believe the Holy Spirit went AWOL or on strike such that God would be unable to answer the Apostles or Saint Peter's prayers until after Pentecost.
Where exactly did God disappear to if He was temporarily absent?
What I am saying is that God and the holy were there but the Holy Spirit was not inside of them till the day of Pentecost.

(I have to go but will back later)
God bless
Rob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Guide To The Bible

Guide To The Bible
Jan 23, 2017
Britain
✟31,977.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Bible clearly states that nobody will know when Jesus will return, or when the world will end.
Regarding Matthew 24:36 – “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.”

It’s important not to build a theology on a couple of verses but instead put everything into context, letting the Bible interpret the Bible:

Isaiah 28:13 – line upon line, precept upon precept

Therefore the following verses must also be considered:

1 Thessalonians 5:4 – “You’re not in darkness for that day to surprise you like a thief.”

And:

Amos 3:7 – Surely the Sovereign LORD does nothing without revealing his plan to his servants the prophets.
And:

Deuteronomy 16:16 – Three times a year all your men must appear before the LORD your God at the place he will choose:

Passover : Fulfilled by Jesus
Pentecost : Fulfilled by Jesus
Tabernacles : To be Fulfilled…

Jesus actually fulfilled 11 out of 12 Jewish holy-days as my book reveals and is beyond coincidence. Therefore He must return on the one He has yet to fulfill, this is the feast of Tabernacles that celebrates the harvest. Many know it as Harvest festival and it alludes to the great harvest of souls at the end of age. I hope and pray you can see and believe this, and will not be like the Jews who missed His first coming by not recognising all these signs. When Jesus said ‘no one knows the day’ He said it in the present tense, He did not say no one would ever know (Amos 3:7) and Jesus also alluded to the fact that He would fulfill Tabernacles at a later time:

John 7:2 & 8 – But when the Jewish Festival of Tabernacles was near, [Jesus said] “You go to the festival. I am not going up to this festival, because my time has not yet fully come.”

Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It’s important not to build a theology on a couple of verses but instead put everything into context, letting the Bible interpret the Bible:

The Bible is a book, and therefore cannot interpret itself.

You first tell me not to build theology around a few verses, and then use merely a few verses are your biblical proof that the end of time will be in 2029.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Guide To The Bible

Guide To The Bible
Jan 23, 2017
Britain
✟31,977.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Bible is a book, and therefore cannot interpret itself.

You first tell me not to build theology around a few verses, and then use merely a few verses are your biblical proof that the end of time will be in 2029.
Jesus taught about his return and the coming Kingdom more than anything else and the Old Testament warns us about this too. Over eighty times it says about the day on which Jesus would return, often referred to as the great and terrible day of the Lord. The Bible contains a wealth of information about the future. It predicted Jesus first coming nearly two thousand years ago, to the exact month and year, and it also gives us many signs and prophesies for those awaiting His second coming to recognise too. The Bible also lays out a complete history of the world from creation to the end of time and with prayerful study all this knowledge can be revealed in detail, allowing us today to know exactly when, where, who and what to expect; thus preparing us for everything that God wants us to be ready for and by being aware of God’s plan we can work to it accordingly.

However, the Devil has tried hard to keep this plan from man. He knows that the more we know about the truth of this reality and its future, the more effective as Christians we will be. Satan has done much to try and hide from mankind the key pieces of information about God’s plan but as always God manages to make a way so that we can piece together the information given to us in the Bible. Jesus taught us that the Old Testament was to be believed in its entirety and quoted from much of it Himself:

John 10:35

“The Scriptures cannot be discredited”.

The New Testament testifies to the Old and they are in complete harmony, showing that Jesus was the fulfilment of the prophesied Old Testament Hebrew Messiah, which means anointed and in Greek anointed is Christos or Christ. So simply by believing what you read, rather than reading what you believe and letting the Bible interpret the Bible, then the secret plan God has for mankind’s future can be revealed. Letting us know the when, where and who of the End-Times.

Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus taught about his return and the coming Kingdom more than anything else and the Old Testament warns us about this too. Over eighty times it says about the day on which Jesus would return, often referred to as the great and terrible day of the Lord. The Bible contains a wealth of information about the future. It predicted Jesus first coming nearly two thousand years ago, to the exact month and year, and it also gives us many signs and prophesies for those awaiting His second coming to recognise too. The Bible also lays out a complete history of the world from creation to the end of time and with prayerful study all this knowledge can be revealed in detail, allowing us today to know exactly when, where, who and what to expect; thus preparing us for everything that God wants us to be ready for and by being aware of God’s plan we can work to it accordingly.

However, the Devil has tried hard to keep this plan from man. He knows that the more we know about the truth of this reality and its future, the more effective as Christians we will be. Satan has done much to try and hide from mankind the key pieces of information about God’s plan but as always God manages to make a way so that we can piece together the information given to us in the Bible. Jesus taught us that the Old Testament was to be believed in its entirety and quoted from much of it Himself:

John 10:35

“The Scriptures cannot be discredited”.

The New Testament testifies to the Old and they are in complete harmony, showing that Jesus was the fulfilment of the prophesied Old Testament Hebrew Messiah, which means anointed and in Greek anointed is Christos or Christ. So simply by believing what you read, rather than reading what you believe and letting the Bible interpret the Bible, then the secret plan God has for mankind’s future can be revealed. Letting us know the when, where and who of the End-Times.

Once again, the Bible cannot interpret itself. It is a book.

Yes, the NT is the fulfillment of the OT, and there are plenty of interweaving between the two, however this is not the same as interpreting, otherwise there would not be as many denominations as there are today.

We do not know when, what time, or what year the world will end, that is not privy to us. That is made very clear in the Bible.

The Bible is not a history book, and should not be taken as a history book. There is plenty of historical reference in there, yes, but it shouldn't be taken as one.

I'm too tired to write a full fledge response, so that will do.

Upvote 0

Guide To The Bible

Guide To The Bible
Jan 23, 2017
Britain
✟31,977.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Once again, the Bible cannot interpret itself. It is a book.
You say the Bible can't interpret itself but then contradict this statement in your very next sentence?:

Yes, the NT is the fulfillment of the OT, and there are plenty of interweaving between the two,
But then you go on to try and qualify this by saying that while the Bible is correct (which I agree with) it is each denomination who get the interpretation wrong that causes more denominations. (which I also agree with):

however this is not the same as interpreting, otherwise there would not be as many denominations as there are today.
But this mean therefore that you must believe there is a correct interpretation but no one will ever know what that is and this position of yours is supported by your next statement:

We do not know when, what time, or what year the world will end, that is not privy to us. That is made very clear in the Bible.
As said and shown I disagree that no one will ever not know the day He returns, not least because that is why we were given the Bible in the first place imo. I mean look at the last 2000 years and how the Bible has developed and spread all over the world and how much it has been studied and written about and how much more we know now about the Bible than ever before. Just look on the internet at any verse in the Bible and you could spend hours going through all the different teachings and ideas on each verse. I believe the prophesy's that God gave us that are in it are there for us to interpret so that we will be ready for what is about to happen. God is trying to warn and protect us by preparing us. You may not believe this but that is what I believe.

The Bible is not a history book, and should not be taken as a history book. There is plenty of historical reference in there, yes, but it shouldn't be taken as one.
Unbelievable [smack forehead emoji]. About a quarter of the Bible is history and all the main stream historians, both Christian and non-Christian recognise it as such. In fact it is the most accurate historical record in existence, here take a look:
GuideChronologyLatest.gif

I'm too tired to write a full fledge response, so that will do.
You're doing well. Perhaps talk again later God willing. [thumbs up emoji]

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.