Assurance of salvation

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can we have assurance of salvation? In the Bible it says that one who sincerely believes will have eternal life. I don't think wanting assurance is sinful. And I doubt God would want someone being anxious all the time so that they don't make the most of the time they have here.

I thought I was finally working with Gods help on my issues with trusting Him. Now I feel back at square one.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can we have assurance of salvation? In the Bible it says that one who sincerely believes will have eternal life. I don't think wanting assurance is sinful. And I doubt God would want someone being anxious all the time so that they don't make the most of the time they have here.

I thought I was finally working with Gods help on my issues with trusting Him. Now I feel back at square one.
John's First Epistle - short and strong - is all about assurance. :)

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟303,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 John 5:11 - And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.
12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

Praise God! :amen:

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My sense is that this is something that most Christians struggle with at various points in time. Trusting God is something that grows over time. Days to weeks to months to years of consistently walking with Him, getting to know Him, and learning more about Him lead to more trust and less doubt. As we see and experience His presence from day to day, week to week, month to month, and year to year in our lives, faith and trust grow. I don't think that there is any shortcut to that. Our trust is in getting to know God, not convincing ourselves to have no doubts. Hang in there. :)

Upvote 0

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

definitly. Why would it be sinful to have assurance? its based on the word of god, why would being assured of his word be sinful? Biblical faith is defined as "full assurance" in hebrews 11. It also says we enter by "the faith of god". Jesus also said "have gods faith" That means faith is not the kind of faith you do when you chose what to trust, it IS a inner conviction that you can not throw away no matter how much your mind doubts. Jesus also said what you "believe in your heart". The misconception ppl do then is that they look for faith in their mind, when thats where doubt is. Faith is heart and it is given from God. What ppl call faith is actually noly their own mind trying to agree with doctrine. That has little to do with real faith. Fiath is a spirit (paul said, "we have the spirit of faith") so its apisirutla substance, not a concept.

Once you grasp this, you will realize taht what you call faith, is actually your minds struggle to receive what youre heart already knows. The reason it is a struggle is because your heart knows - which is full assurance - nad the mind struggles to receive it. If you had no full assurance, the mind wouldnt struggle against it or for it, it would jsut rest in agnostisicsm.

Hopefully this make sense, its a lot simpler that we make it into. Children gets it lol

Upvote 0

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
definitly. Why would it be sinful to have assurance? its based on the word of god, why would being assured of his word be sinful? Biblical faith is defined as "full assurance" in hebrews 11. It also says we enter by "the faith of god". Jesus also said "have gods faith" That means faith is not the kind of faith you do when you chose what to trust, it IS a inner conviction that you can not throw away no matter how much your mind doubts. Jesus also said what you "believe in your heart". The misconception ppl do then is that they look for faith in their mind, when thats where doubt is. Faith is heart and it is given from God. What ppl call faith is actually noly their own mind trying to agree with doctrine. That has little to do with real faith. Fiath is a spirit (paul said, "we have the spirit of faith") so its apisirutla substance, not a concept.

Once you grasp this, you will realize taht what you call faith, is actually your minds struggle to receive what youre heart already knows. The reason it is a struggle is because your heart knows - which is full assurance - nad the mind struggles to receive it. If you had no full assurance, the mind wouldnt struggle against it or for it, it would jsut rest in agnostisicsm.

Hopefully this make sense, its a lot simpler that we make it into. Children gets it lol

I can honestly say, once the teachings of luther and others on this shone its light in my own, i have never ever struggles with assurance of salvatiion or even the truth of the word of god , not even a second, and its been years and years by now.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1 John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

• Agree
Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think wanting assurance is sinful.

Not at all...the very reason we should be on out toes, and always in a place where we are assured.

And I doubt God would want someone being anxious all the time so that they don't make the most of the time they have here.

You're right, he doesn't want us to be anxious, he would much rather we follow him closely enough where we didn't have to be.

Upvote 0

Robert76

Robert
Jul 19, 2017
Central Ohio
✟7,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I've rode this roller coaster as well. First observation: your desire for assurance is a very good sign that your salvation was genuine (not just an emotional response "in the moment"). 1 John 5:11-13 states, "11 And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life."

Also, John 10:28-30 states, "28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me,[a] is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. 30 I and the Father are one."

Where I ran into issues in my own assurance was when I sinned after being saved. Did it not work for me, was I created for descruction?? Does the Christian never sin again after the moment of salvation? No (except maybe the very few who accept Jesus while literally on their deathbed). Let's look at Hebrews 10:12-14, "12 But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, 13 waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. 14 For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified."

"...are being sanctified". Unlike the moment when we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior and are saved (justified), sanctification is the life-long process where we are being made into the likeness of Christ and this process continues until we stand before Him and are glorified. I think of it as a continuum of being 'saved' Justification---Sanctification---Glorification... we are 'saved' the whole way through from the very beginning. This is not our license to care-free sinning. Sin is a serious affront to the holiness of God. When we are saved, the Holy Spirit immediately indwells us and you've probably already noticed that you have a much greater sensitivity, a 'heightened awareness' of the sin that is in your life. That is a REALLY GOOD thing - God is working in us!

Wow, I was overly wordy (again). Sorry, but I hope you find this helpful and encouraging!

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,251.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The “assurance” of your salvations comes from knowing you have the indwelling Holy Spirit.

We are not talking about just words in a book, but laterally the Spirit dwelling in you.

If you are not certain the Spirit is within you than you do have a problem.

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Can we have assurance of salvation? In the Bible it says that one who sincerely believes will have eternal life.

If one is faithful unto death (Rev 2:10) he can have assurance of salvation. One cannot become a Christian then live anyway they please and have assurance of salvation.

Upvote 0

shakewell

Jun 17, 2013
✟40,638.00
Faith
Christian
Can we have assurance of salvation?
Yes.
These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. 1 John 5:13

In the Bible it says that one who sincerely believes will have eternal life.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. John 3:14,15

I don't think wanting assurance is sinful.
Not wanting it is foolish.
I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day. 2 Timothy 1:12

And I doubt God would want someone being anxious all the time so that they don't make the most of the time they have here.
Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation. Psalm 62:1
So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. Psalm 90:12

Trust God's promises, not your feelings.
For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:39,39

Upvote 0

Libertas

Jun 10, 2017
Florida
✟9,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
1 John 5:13 makes it clear that if you believe on the Lord Jesus Christ you can KNOW that you have eternal life.

Here are some other passages on eternal security:
John 3:36, John 5:24, John 6:37, John 10:27-30; John 6:35-40, I Peter 1:5; Ephesians 4:30; Romans 8:35-39; Ephesians 1:12-13

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Eternal Security of a true believer's salvation (OSAS) is often debated. Other than 2 or 3 troublesome verses, the weight of Scripture supports these true doctrines.

https://www.christianforums.com/threads/losing-salvation.8010090/

https://www.christianforums.com/threads/you-can-lose-your-salvation-through-apostasy.7785433/

Can True born again BELIEVERS lose their spiritual POSITION in Christ?

Can a Christian Lose His Salvation?

Willful Sin after Salvation and Eternal Security

SING!!"

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

Refrain:
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.

Perfect submission, perfect delight,
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels, descending, bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.

Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Savior am happy and blest,
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

Upvote 0