Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary!

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
this young woman did not ask what you thought of her relationship
it is not very polite to give your views on such a thing so freely and without even being asked!

Then I was impolite.

Mischa, forgive me, if i have offended you. I am sorry and apologise, if I did.

Upvote 0
K

KeenanParkerII

this young woman did not ask what you thought of her relationship
it is not very polite to give your views on such a thing so freely and without even being asked!

Rhamiel, it is good and a sign of love to remind each other when there is a possibility of even the slightest hint of spiritual jeopardy. I can atone that relationships can do that. God Bless.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Today at Divine Liturgy, we celebrated the Dormition of the Holy Mother of God, Blessed Lady Mary; and her "Falling-Asleep" in Christ. :) 'Twas awesome and holy! Father wore a very shiny, however, very beautiful shade of blue, set of vestments. :cool:

We Confessional Lutherans also celebrate the Dormation on this day. The official name is The Feast of St. Mary, Mother of our Lord. Since this is still "The Time of the Church" (Trinity Season) Paraments and Vestments are Green; however we do use Blue Paraments and Vestments for Advent. We also celebrate the Annunciation and the Visitation on the same days as the RCC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We Confessional Lutherans also celebrate the Dormation on this day. The official name is The Feast of St. Mary, Mother of our Lord. Since this is still "The Time of the Church" (Trinity Season) Paraments and Vestments are Green; however we do use Blue Paraments and Vestments for Advent. We also celebrate the Annunciation and the Visitation on the same days as the RCC.

I am glad to hear that not all Lutherans, are in opposition to the feast of or belief in our Lady's Dormition and Assumption into the Kingdom of Heaven. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Mischa88

Aug 15, 2010
Chelmsford, England
✟7,645.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

I am happy too! Mary is an amazing person to have praying for us.

Agh, be careful Mischa. I went out with a Bahai girl, and it threw my faith all topsey turvy. Now I understand the importance of being in the same place spiritually or equally yoked. When spiritually participates in a relationship, the relationship can begin participating in our spirituality. Anyways, may God bless your efforts at his conversion! And may your [maybe one day] children be saved in Christ.

Thank you, but it's okay. If we talk about faith, we discuss beliefs that we have in common. I admit I did start wondering if Islam is true, but this led me to research more into the Catholic faith and as a result, I am more faithful to the Church than I ever have been.

Maybe God wanted me to meet him for this reason and wants me to somehow influence his beliefs as well. For example, today he said that the green scapular devotion would not conflict with his beliefs so agreed to carry one and may say the prayer.

Then I was impolite.

Mischa, forgive me, if i have offended you. I am sorry and apologise, if I did.

There's nothing to forgive! You haven't offended me :)

Question: Do you think Mary was actually wearing blue when she ascended in to heaven?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have seen our Lady most often in Blue [in Western Churches, with the exception of the parish of my youth, wherein the icon of our Lady, her garments were white; she wore a Crown atop her head]. Otherwise, typically in Eastern Churches, our Blessed Lady wears Red.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Question: Do you think Mary was actually wearing blue when she ascended in to heaven?
icons are used to teach theology
in eastern icons she is shown in red (the color of mankind, like blood) with a blue robe over the read (blue is color of the sky, the color of heaven and God) to show that she is human "wraped" in divine grace
in the western Church she is sometimes just shown in blue because in the Middle Ages blue was a color of royalty and our lady is Queen of Heaven, if you look at paintings from the early middle ages our Lady is shown in deep royal blue
the light blue is a more modern representation of our Lady, I think at Lourdes she appeared in a mild blue, i am not sure

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I am glad to hear that not all Lutherans, are in opposition to the feast of or belief in our Lady's Dormition and Assumption into the Kingdom of Heaven. :)

I would like to clarify the Lutheran position regarding the Assumption. Here is an excerpt from a sermon delivered by one of our Pastors last Sunday (The whole sermon can be found here:http://weedon.blogspot.com/2010/08/homily-for-st-mary-mother-of-our-lord.html):

"As to whether or not Mary was bodily taken to heaven, we have to confess our ignorance. We don’t know. Scripture doesn’t tell us. Might be – we grant that that would be rather like her Son to do such a thing. But if He wanted us to know about raising his Mother from the dead, He’d have seen fit to have His apostles write it for us in the Sacred Scriptures. Alas, not a word. So as Lutherans, we’re content to confess: He has taken her to be with Him and that is all we need to know. That’s how Dr. Luther wisely dispatched that question. Not our business."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I love icons and paintings of our Blessed Lady Mary, when she is garbed in very deep and dark blue raiment. :)

Also, I have a statue of our Lady that is white and light-blue as well; I obtained it from a parish rummage sale last year. ^.^

Upvote 0

Mischa88

Aug 15, 2010
Chelmsford, England
✟7,645.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I agree! I like images of Our Lady of Lourdes. She's wearing white with a small amount of blue. On my Nana's picture the blue bit is blue flowers. Do you think she appears how the saint expects them to or she decides how she's going to look?

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I agree! I like images of Our Lady of Lourdes. She's wearing white with a small amount of blue. On my Nana's picture the blue bit is blue flowers. Do you think she appears how the saint expects them to or she decides how she's going to look?
um half and half?
like some things might be needed to get the message of the vision across, but other things might be to help the believer know it is a true vision
though we can not trust our own judgment when it comes to stuff like this

Upvote 0

Mischa88

Aug 15, 2010
Chelmsford, England
✟7,645.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
um half and half?
like some things might be needed to get the message of the vision across, but other things might be to help the believer know it is a true vision
though we can not trust our own judgment when it comes to stuff like this

I agree with you! It's like how Mary normally appears with white skin, but to the Aztecs at Guadalupe she had dark skin and one of the titles they gave her was based on this- as if she wanted them to relate better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, Mr. Mark for your clarificational posting; it was most informative.

Virgil, you are most kind.
smile.gif

However, please drop the Mr... I'm just plain old Mark;).

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Virgil, you are most kind.
smile.gif

However, please drop the Mr... I'm just plain old Mark;).
Thank you. I was aware that Luther had retained and espouse some veneration for the Holy Virgin Mary; even believing and preaching on her perpetual virginity. However, I was previously unaware that any contemporary Lutheran sect had commented on or held any beliefs regarding or appertaining to honouring our Blessed Lady Mary, in any manner whatsoever.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. I was aware that Luther had retained and espouse some veneration for the Holy Virgin Mary; even believing and preaching on her perpetual virginity. However, I was previously unaware that any contemporary Lutheran sect had commented on or held any beliefs regarding or appertaining to honouring our Blessed Lady Mary, in any manner whatsoever.

In the Confessional Synods we do, and always have.
smile.gif

Upvote 0