Chelmsford, England
✟7,645.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm so glad it's the feast of Mary's Assumption today. I love Mary. Her apparitions really inspire me. Our Lady of Fatima and Christ's apparition for St. Faustina are probably what saved my faith.

Our priest was explaining why Our Lady's assumption into Heaven is so important to us.

I'm going to order a Miraculous Medal and a brown/green scapular in honour of her :). Has anyone else got one of these?

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm so glad it's the feast of Mary's Assumption today. I love Mary. Her apparitions really inspire me. Our Lady of Fatima and Christ's apparition for St. Faustina are probably what saved my faith.

Our priest was explaining why Our Lady's assumption into Heaven is so important to us.

I'm going to order a Miraculous Medal and a brown/green scapular in honour of her :). Has anyone else got one of these?
I wear a brown scapular, I am enrolled in the confraturnity so I pray the rosary every day and always wear the scapular

Upvote 0

Mischa88

Aug 15, 2010
Chelmsford, England
✟7,645.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I don't really like debates, but anyway...

The Assumption of Mary is a nice assumption, but hardly to be considered a major point of faith. . . .

Oh, but it is! Sin entered into this world through a woman and the saviour entered into this world through a woman. She is Christ's mother. It is so powerful to have the Mother of Christ loving us and praying for us. When people ran out of wine at the wedding, Mary concerned for the others and told Christ that they needed more. Christ listened.

This is how Catholics feel about asking Mary for our prayers. She has the closes relationship to God than any other and is the most powerful soul to have praying for us.

"Then God's temple in heaven was opened, and the ark of his covenant was seen within his temple"

The holiest object of the Israelites was the Ark of the Covenant, which contained the bread from Heaven. In the New Testament, Christ is the bread from Heaven. Mary is the Ark.

(Rev. 11:19). "And a great portent appeared in heaven, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars; . . .

The twelve stars symbolise the twelve Apostles- the first priests. This crown of twelve stars indicates that Mary is the Queen of Heaven/The Church.

she brought forth a male child, one who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron" (Rev. 12:1,5).

Is this maybe a Catholic invention so that they aren't praying to [intercessing with?] the dead?

Mary isn't dead. She has everlasting life in Heaven. We ask our family, who are sinners to pray for us. Why not ask for Mary, who is sinless and in direct sight of God to pray for us? Revelations also mentions the prayers of the saints being offered up to God. If they're not praying for other souls, what are they praying for? They have everything in Heaven.

RC[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Mischa88

Aug 15, 2010
Chelmsford, England
✟7,645.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I wear a brown scapular, I am enrolled in the confraturnity so I pray the rosary every day and always wear the scapular

I'm glad to hear this! I would really like to buy one and become enrolled. What sort of devotions do you do? I heard that you pray the Hail Mary every day and live in chastity while wearing it?

Is the medal only to be worn if you have an allergy to cotton?

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm glad to hear this! I would really like to buy one and become enrolled. What sort of devotions do you do? I heard that you pray the Hail Mary every day and live in chastity while wearing it?

Is the medal only to be worn if you have an allergy to cotton?
you can pray the little office of the Blessed Mother or you can pray 5 decades of the Rosary every day
I decided to pray the rosary because that is a devotion i allready know and comes more natural to me
and yes, you are suposed to live in the chastity of your station in life, so married people could have sex

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Today at Divine Liturgy, we celebrated the Dormition of the Holy Mother of God, Blessed Lady Mary; and her "Falling-Asleep" in Christ. :) 'Twas awesome and holy! Father wore a very shiny, however, very beautiful shade of blue, set of vestments. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Also, I wear the Brown Scapular as well; enrolled into the Confraternity of the Scapular as well.

I rarely pray either the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary; or the Holy Rosary; however, I would like to take up once more this beneficial and venerable practise.

I purchased a book, entitled: "The Glories of Mary;" it is a 1931 edition (equibbed with that awesome "old-book" smell! :) )

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,563.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can anyone here explain to me why such a miraculous event didn't rate a mention in the Scriptures?
It is recorded by the Church. Why do you think it necessary to also have it recorded in Scripture?

[Edit]
Nevermind. I just realised the thread was 7 years old. For once LLOJ wasn't to blame :)

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Romans 13:3
Upvote 0

Mischa88

Aug 15, 2010
Chelmsford, England
✟7,645.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
you can pray the little office of the Blessed Mother or you can pray 5 decades of the Rosary every day
I decided to pray the rosary because that is a devotion i allready know and comes more natural to me
and yes, you are suposed to live in the chastity of your station in life, so married people could have sex

Thank you for your answer! I would prefer to pray the rosary as well.

Also, I wear the Brown Scapular as well; enrolled into the Confraternity of the Scapular as well.

I rarely pray either the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary; or the Holy Rosary; however, I would like to take up once more this beneficial and venerable practise.

I purchased a book, entitled: "The Glories of Mary;" it is a 1931 edition (equibbed with that awesome "old-book" smell! )

I had never heard of the brown scapular before until reading on about Saints. I didn't know that many people wear them. I just looked up 'The Glories of Mary' on Amazon but they're out of stock. It does look old! lol.

So, does anyone know under what circumstances you may wear the scapular medal instead of the original?

Reactions: Romans 13:3
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes, Mischa. One may wear the scapular medal in lieu of the regular woolen Brown Scapular if one is allergic to wool. Another possible exception is for those living in tropical climates, for whatever reason may be exempt from the typical woolen scapular and thus are permitted the Scapular medal instead.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Also Holy Scripture must be read in context of, is inseparable from, and cannot be view apart from Sacred Tradition. Sacred Tradition interprets and informs us of the correct doctrines and scriptural interpretations that the Holy Apostles, Early Church fathers, and the saints, held of Holy Scripture and of the whole Holy Gospel of Christ.

Upvote 0

Mischa88

Aug 15, 2010
Chelmsford, England
✟7,645.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Yes, Mischa. One may wear the scapular medal in lieu of the regular woolen Brown Scapular if one is allergic to wool. Another possible exception is for those living in tropical climates, for whatever reason may be exempt from the typical woolen scapular and thus are permitted the Scapular medal instead.

Thank you.

I'm wondering if I could lend the brown scapular to my Muslim boyfriend. He said he would wear it and might say the Hail Mary (with 'Mother of God' excluded) if it makes me happy.

If I do, do you think I could wear the medal for myself?

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You've a Moslem boyfriend?! I hope, he doesn't attempt or pressure you to make yourself become a Moslem. :( I know most Moslems, demand as Mohemmadanism generally or typically does, that one's spouse be a Moslem. Hopefully he does not try to do this.

I'll pray for you both and for his conversion to the true Holy Catholic faith That sounds like a very tension-filled situation.
:crossrc:

Upvote 0

Mischa88

Aug 15, 2010
Chelmsford, England
✟7,645.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
You've a Moslem boyfriend?! I hope, he doesn't attempt or pressure you to make yourself become a Moslem. :( I know most Moslems, demand as Mohemmadanism generally or typically does, that one's spouse be a Moslem. Hopefully he does not try to do this.

We have discussed this before as I don't believe it's right to have a relationship with someone I know I couldn't marry. He said that Muslims are allowed to marry 'people of the book' (Jews, Christians and Muslims), but like Catholics, a Muslim is required to bring their children up in their own faith. We haven't been able to find an answer to this, but I'm waiting because it would be so amazing for him to become a Christian!

We watched a film called 'The 13th Day'- a film about Our Lady of Fatima and he believes it to be true, so he doesn't believe you have to be a Muslim any more because the children were Catholics.

I'll pray for you both and for his conversion to the true Holy Catholic faith That sounds like a very tension-filled situation.
:crossrc:

Thank you so much for praying for us! A while ago, he said he would wear the brown scapular if it makes me happy and might say the Hail Mary (excluding 'Mother of God'). I've heard that the green scapular devotion is good for conversions so will ask him to carry it, but I will say the prayer for him. Also, when he's finished reading the Qu 'ran (by the end of Ramadam) he wants to read the Bible. This could be a great starting point :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Ok. I was only concerned. The Church has cautioned against being "unequally yoked;" warning that being of two different faiths, makes marriage very, very difficult; especially for children and which faith they are exposed and brought up in, as the true and correct faith. Obviously as Catholics, we believe the Catholic faith, to be the only true faith; otherwise, one wouldn't be Catholic. I shan't know anyone that would, were it not the case!

Upvote 0
K

KeenanParkerII

Agh, be careful Mischa. I went out with a Bahai girl, and it threw my faith all topsey turvy. :o Now I understand the importance of being in the same place spiritually or equally yoked. When spiritually participates in a relationship, the relationship can begin participating in our spirituality. Anyways, may God bless your efforts at his conversion! And may your [maybe one day] children be saved in Christ. :amen:

I have a brown scapular in my desk. It's not doing any good in there though. I should be wearing it.

Upvote 0