Assumption about what Jesus looked like; what is your humble opinion on this?

Darkness Flame

May 18, 2016
Bothell
✟7,818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Saying that Jesus body was less important than his soul sounds vaguely Docetist. They believed that Jesus only appeared to be human. And also there were various heresies that denied the Incarnation, such as Adoptionism. Or heresies that divided his person, such as Nestorianism.

Jesus body is a divine body, so of course it would be worthy of equal respect as his soul.
What do you mean when you say Jesus has a divine body? From what I know, Jesus took human form because he had to live in a sinful body, yet be able to be totally blameless. That's why he sacrificed himself like he did.

Don't you think if he was physically divine that he could just appear and be sacrificed instead of being born like he was?

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
[QUOTE="TX_Matt, post: 69466338, member: 282166"]Likely the case, he looked Eastern Mediterranean. Personally, I've always wondered if Jesus was genetically a male clone of Mary

That's kinda close to my assumption , Ron Wyatt has an awesome video about the blood of Christ he claims to have found , true or not it was interesting and inspiring to say the least .. No one alive today apart from a vision would know .. I refuse to have a supposed picture of Jesus in my house because it ain't him imo ..

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,537.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't follow.

Anyway, are you saying his body was divine before he resurrected FireDragon? Because that makes a big difference I believe.

I won't speak for FD, but from my understanding, yes:

Matthew 17English Standard Version (ESV)
The Transfiguration
17 with whom I am well pleased; J)" data-cr="#cen-ESV-23705J" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;">listen to him.” 6 When K)" data-cr="#cen-ESV-23706K" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;">the disciples heard this, L)" data-cr="#cen-ESV-23706L" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;">they fell on their faces and were terrified. 7 But Jesus came and M)" data-cr="#cen-ESV-23707M" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;">touched them, saying, “Rise, and N)" data-cr="#cen-ESV-23707N" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;">have no fear.” 8 And when they lifted up their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only.​

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People knew Joseph was His father.

That doesn't mean that he looked like his father. Many people don't resemble their dads.
Understood > even so, I consider what I offer, below >

But not genetically so.
But Jesus came like a human, I understand, so He could reach and share with us. And our Apostle Paul does say he became "all things to all men" > 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 < so he could reach different people, by becoming enough like them so they could relate with him.

So, I can see that God could have made Jesus look somewhat like Joseph, so they would show a resemblance like there can be in human families.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,537.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Understood > even so, I consider what I offer, below >

But Jesus came like a human, I understand, so He could reach and share with us. And our Apostle Paul does say he became "all things to all men" > 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 < so he could reach different people, by becoming enough like them so they could relate with him.

So, I can see that God could have made Jesus look somewhat like Joseph, so they would show a resemblance like there can be in human families.

Ok, let's say He did, as this is not an article of faith; what did the Blessed Guardian of our Lord, St. Joseph, look like?

Upvote 0

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The last pic did not show, so here is the pic of the Levantine guy I tried to post earlier:
mport1.jpg
I admit that the guy may not have Levantine in the sense of Israeli, but I had to correct myself.

Could Jesus also looked like these Levantines (however, I do know that there is a lot of diversity, there are just a very small number of men):
11248189_819683504777322_805742094_n.jpg
Lebanon

04-SaintPeyre-OutsideSyriaOutsideCamps.jpg
Syria

42241333.petra241.JPG
Jordan

man-without-a-cellphone-sameh-zoabi-2011-1-.jpg
Palestine

7394801-Young-man-in-the-Qaysari-Bazaar--Erbil-Kurdish-Region-Iraq-0.jpg
Iraq

jewish-man-in-jerusalem-picture-id540372503
Israel (though I suspect that this guy has more European than Semitic blood)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems to me that the Jews in that time had beards. And one early scripture talks about someone's beard being torn out. And ones consider this to be a prophecy of what was included in the torture and suffering of Jesus.

• Informative
Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0