Assumption about what Jesus looked like; what is your humble opinion on this?

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am not sure what Jesus looked like but I am assuming that He looked like a Levantine just like this guy:

466px-fayum-01.jpg

I am also assuming did Jesus have long hair or short hair. What did He look like? I doubt that He looked Scandinavian or some other Northern European. To me, He looked closer to black than He did white, like this representation:

db1a3c6b8905b82108f0520b6d81c209_w600.jpg

This is a representation of Jesus washing the disciples' feet. I assumed that from the artwork above that those in Ethiopia saw Him as looking like them. This isn't uncommon since Jesus relates to many people of all races and color. Now it does not matter what He looks like. I was just curious. Jesus is Lord and Savior and will eventually be the Judge of men. Everyone is created by the Trinity through Him. That is a fact that we should all know about, whatever His color or race.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
No one commented on His appearance being particularly striking, so He'll likely look like his peers.
Well, He was Jewish. He lived in Palestine. So an olive skinned individual is likely, probably with black hair and brown eyes. They'd have mentioned blonde hair or blue eyes or such things in the accounts in my opinion, so they are unlikely.

He probably worked as a Carpenter in Joseph's shop, so He'll likely have calloused hands and be physically strong (afterall He threw over the tables of the moneychangers weighed down with silver). So likely He would have had a fairly muscular build as well.

As to His hair, curly or wavy hair are both possible as they aren't uncommon in the area. I assume He would have short hair as it was the common male style at the time. Also in 1 Corinthians 11:14 they say long hair is a shame to a man and its unlikely that Paul would have said this if Jesus was known to have long hair.
Also Ezekiel 44:20 speaks of Priests having short hair and Jesus is our High Priest as Hebrews says.

This is just my opinion though and as you say, it really doesn't matter at all.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I assume He would have short hair
A guy in our church cut his hair because people said he looked like Jesus :)

"He has no form or comeliness;
.And when we see Him,
.There is no beauty that we should desire Him."
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (in Isaiah 53:2)

So, I see it is possible that Jesus looked very homely. He could have been a lesson in not judging by appearance.

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
No one commented on His appearance being particularly striking, so He'll likely look like his peers.
Well, He was Jewish. He lived in Palestine. So an olive skinned individual is likely, probably with black hair and brown eyes. They'd have mentioned blonde hair or blue eyes or such things in the accounts in my opinion, so they are unlikely.

He probably worked as a Carpenter in Joseph's shop, so He'll likely have calloused hands and be physically strong (afterall He threw over the tables of the moneychangers weighed down with silver). So likely He would have had a fairly muscular build as well.

As to His hair, curly or wavy hair are both possible as they aren't uncommon in the area. I assume He would have short hair as it was the common male style at the time. Also in 1 Corinthians 11:14 they say long hair is a shame to a man and its unlikely that Paul would have said this if Jesus was known to have long hair.
Also Ezekiel 44:20 speaks of Priests having short hair and Jesus is our High Priest as Hebrews says.

This is just my opinion though and as you say, it really doesn't matter at all.

Likely the case, he looked Eastern Mediterranean. Personally, I've always wondered if Jesus was genetically a male clone of Mary or if he was made to look like the child of Joseph and Mary.

Reactions: 4x4toy
Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Somewhere in my personal library is a book with an account the book's author says is an eyewitness description of Jesus, from an ancient source. IIRC, He was described as having a round face, which favored His mother, and sun-bleached hair, like a modern surfer. Oh, and tanned too, but I don't remember mention of eye color. BTW, it is a mistake to judge the appearance of Jesus by the looks of people living there now, and that is due to so many Arabs jumping into the gene pool.

• Informative
Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Somewhere in my personal library is a book with an account the book's author says is an eyewitness description of Jesus, from an ancient source. IIRC, He was described as having a round face, which favored His mother, and sun-bleached hair, like a modern surfer. Oh, and tanned too, but I don't remember mention of eye color. BTW, it is a mistake to judge the appearance of Jesus by the looks of people living there now, and that is due to so many Arabs jumping into the gene pool.
The Arabs and Jews are both Semitic and based on Roman sculpture and art, the first century inhabitants look similar to the modern inhabitants.

As the oldest references to Jesus are the Gospels and Josephus, who don't mention how He looks, I find that source improbable to have an definitely accurate representation. However, its interesting, so if you come across it, please post the name of the text.

Upvote 0

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟24,848.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
sThe standard depiction of Jesus Christ are correct because they are based on the Mandylion, the Eastern Orthodox depiction of Christ known from about 1000 A. D. that turns out to be our modern Shroud of Turin. It depicts Jesus in death-mask style, at the moment of His Resurrection.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Not to cause any disruption in this topic, but what Jesus' soul looked like is far more important than how his body looked.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Agreed. I mentioned that in my post. I am a person who always had questions about Jesus, the Magi, etc. I have questions about a lot of people, Diety, and a lot of other things. I posted a video about that very point. I know it doesn't matter but I don't think it would hurt to have questions.

Upvote 0

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Questions should always be welcomed, however I simply like to point out when the answer to a question might not be important. But that doesn't mean it's a waste of time.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

It isn't a waste of time. As a flawed human being, I would like to know. While I believe that Jesus is Lord and Savior, I wonder and realize that regardless of His being a Levantine would matter less. However, I do wonder, how come Jesus wasn't born in say, Ethiopia or even Egypt. I sounds silly because that is obvious, but how come the Jews or Hebrews, the chosen people, are Levantines instead of Ethiopians. I tend to have questions like that because I am so flawed. As a matter of fact, there was a video that I created that could give an idea of what I thought He looked like. Anyways, the point to this video is what is important. Like with the Ethiopian representation of Jesus, many people see Him as black or white or maybe even Native American or Chinese for whatever reason. I agree that if Jesus were black or white, that would not matter. If Jesus were either black or white, and if He were to come back, how would they see Him? Would they see Jesus or rather see Jesus another way because of cultural views of Jesus. If color didn't matter to them, then if Jesus were to come back as either a black, white, or Chinese man, would they show any prejudice they may have or would it not even matter to them because Jesus, whatever color died for us all.

Here is my video. Hopefully this may help to prove my point:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Not to cause any disruption in this topic, but what Jesus' soul looked like is far more important than how his body looked.

That's a problematic statement theologically, for a lot of reasons. It potentially implies an unorthodox Christology.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Can you elaborate?

Saying that Jesus body was less important than his soul sounds vaguely Docetist. They believed that Jesus only appeared to be human. And also there were various heresies that denied the Incarnation, such as Adoptionism. Or heresies that divided his person, such as Nestorianism.

Jesus body is a divine body, so of course it would be worthy of equal respect as his soul.

Upvote 0