✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
A person's body is their own.

We don't stop people from killing themselves slowly with sugar, fats and other elements of food which are detrimental to health in the amounts typically consumed, so why deprive a terminally ill person the option of dying with dignity?

I hope it's an option if I ever become terminally ill.

Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is assisted suicide morally and/or spiritually wrong? Why?

What are the ramifications?

~Natsumi Lam~
Please don't do that. I believe that it's very wrong because God gave us these bodies and He loves us. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because no one can claim the right to end someone else's life (apart from legal capital punishment and justifiable defense) consent notwithstanding.

If a husband and wife agree to have an open marriage, their consent doesn't change God's opinion that it would still be adulterous. Assisted suicide is wrong in the same kind of way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

A person's body is their own.

Our lives are not our own they belong to God and as such we don't have the right to end them in a fit of despair etc

euthanasia has two aspecs passive and active.
When someone is dying it is not always best for that person to seek to prolong their life. For someone in the terminal stages of cancer seeking to provide quality of life is better than attempting to stave off death.
This is what the hospice movement seeks to do.

Active euthanasia is when doctors etc administer something that will kill the victim. This is always wrong and should be considered murder.

Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single

What are the ramifications?

~Natsumi Lam~
It is Spiritually wrong.

We are the Lord's both body and spirit, we are not our own
1 Cor 6:19-20
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

We are the temple of the Holy spirit(Acts 7:47-50, Acts 17:23-25, 1 Cor 3:8-11, 16-17, 1 Cor 6:13,15, 17-20, 1 John 3:24, 1 John 4:14-15, 2 Cor 6:16) as such we are only to do what Glorify's the Lord. You do not glorify God by destroying the temple of the Holy spirit. Today destroying the Lord's temple(our bodies) would be the same as destroying the Holy of Holies in the Old testament where God's presence dwelt on earth. It is a sin, we have no right to harm, let alone destroy the Holy Ghost's temple on earth. Though we are to freely give our lives for our brothers and sisters in Christ(1 John 3:16) as well as for Christ's sake(Matt 16:24-25) killing yourself is not Godly in any way.

And it is Morally wrong.
Both the man killing himself and those assisting him in this act would be guilty of killing someone(which is a sin no matter the circumstances). The man who assisted would have to repent of this sin against God to be saved, and the man who killed himself would be damned without chance at repentance.

• Agree
Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
youtube lots stories of people committed suicide .One woman describes going to hell and how awful it was and Jesus asking her " Is this what you really want " and she was given the chance to come back and it totally changed her she now helps people who are mentally depressed telling her story .Another was a guy who jumped off the Golden Gate bridge and soon as he did it he knew he made a awful mistake and didn't want to die he survived to tell his story. You can't make a real choice unless you know the consequences of that choice.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I used to believe it was absolutely not OK, but now I'm more on the fence, especially since being Lutheran for a while. I don't believe people who engage in assisted suicide are necessarily going to Hell just because they take steps to end their life.

I think people who are mentally ill should definitely receive help recovering and finding reasons to live, rather than being assisted with suicide.

• Agree
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are to take care of our temple. Even when we wish we were dead from horrible situations we may be in, even when our bodies are shutting down. We have to "finish the race". God gave us life. We have to stay with these bodies until we die.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jon Osterman

Jan 23, 2018
Glasgow
✟59,048.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is very clear in his teachings that the application of love trumps all other rules and laws. So, although I think it is wrong to commit suicide normally, and certainly wrong to commit murder, I would not necessarily say it is wrong in all circumstances. If someone is in extreme pain, for example, it may be a mercy to end it.

However, I am very reluctant for this to become law because of the potential for abuse. Even if there is clear consent from the person to be killed and they have a serious illness, they may have been influenced unduly by people who have something to gain, or simply not be in the right mood for a serious decision. For example, I can imagine a bedridden grandmother asking for assisted suicide in order to remove the burden from her children. And from there it is only a small step for her to be persuaded to do it by unscrupulous family.

I am also uncomfortable with doctors who are OK violating their Hippocratic oath.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
There are probably some Christians here on the forum who live in places where it is legal to some extent, such as Oregon or Washington, Canada, or parts of Europe.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If someone is in extreme pain, for example, it may be a mercy to end it.
It isn't merciful if it causes someone to leave a body that is in pain only to arrive in a place where pain is eternal. And I'm not talking about for suicide, either, but for not yet being saved.

And we do not know their heart. They could have gone to church all of their life, but have not yet surrendered to Jesus. God's delay on their death may, in fact, be His mercy, that He might give them one last chance to repent/get saved.

Upvote 0

Jon Osterman

Jan 23, 2018
Glasgow
✟59,048.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It isn't merciful if it causes someone to leave a body that is in pain only to arrive in a place where pain is eternal. And I'm not talking about for suicide, either, but for not yet being saved.

And we do not know their heart. They could have gone to church all of their life, but have not yet surrendered to Jesus. God's delay on their death may, in fact, be His mercy, that He might give them one last chance to repent/get saved.

Don't you think that is up to them to assess, not you? I don't think you can torture people into accepting God.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think you can torture people into accepting God.
Spin much? It only becomes torture after the point of no return. If they get saved, their present torture will be forgotten. If they don't, it is a few more minutes of "light" torture before they move on to the hard/irrevocable stuff. Shortening their life doesn't do them any favors in either scenario.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What about the use "end of life" "comfort drugs? There are many but the main one used is Morphine (treats pain and shortness of breath).
That is hospice care, not assisted suicide.

• Agree
Upvote 0