Asserting the truth of Christ over every cultural opposition(2 Cor 10:2-4)

How many centuries have Christians been trying to love their neighbors while history omits facts?

• 1 century

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 centuries

• 5 centuries

• 7 centuries

• 9 centuries

• 11 centuries

• 13 centuries

• 15 centuries

• 17 centuries

• Total voters

PeopleLove

Feb 20, 2017
Texas
✟8,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Christianity has been under cultural attack many times in history and has always asserted the truth of Christ through every medium and over any stronghold which attempts to oppose the simple truth of God Himself (2 Corinthians 10:3-6). In the past when I pursued secular religious studies and signed up for “A History of Christian Thought”, or intellectual traditions, the required text was of the same name by author Paul Tillich. Though sharing some historical background in regards to the early church Paul Tillich is for the most part a secular professor of philosophy with an anti-Christian analyses of believers.

Tillich stated that when Greek philosophy came to a close in history the mystical science of Neo-Platonism was at one end and Skepticism, a science of ceaseless questions, at the other (Tillich, 108). Unlike philosophers of today such as empiricists or logical positivists; in Greek, Roman, and New Testament times philosophy itself was a half religious science (Tillich, 50-51). In tracing out the history of Christian thought he states that St. Augustine saw the defeat of Skepticism not by Neo-Platonism but by the idea of God’s love, that is in the Holy Trinity which binds creation together and, “which unites the mystical and ethical elements” (Tillich, 115). I think it’s important to say that Greek, Roman, and every philosophy came to a close in history once Christ came.

Tillich asserts that Skepticism led mankind to a sort of popular shock because all attempts to bring certainty ended with failure. Tillich shows a transition from Greek thought to the early church, the communum sanctorum, and shows church authority as the new reasoning as established by early leaders such as St. Augustine. He seems to depict illiterate man with faith in Christ as having needed to be saved from the dead-end intellectual efforts of Skepticism, needing to be saved from meaningless existence as commoners. The emphasis of declared revelation as a source of church authority up through the Renaissance surely did not come from Greek educated St. Augustine but a mix of God working in man mixed with every manner of human misconduct and abuse of power over the many generations of history. If illiterate people had access to faith in Christ; even while satan had his effect on early governments then to God be the glory. Despite Tillich’s beliefs I have faith that a Christian, someone open to the idea that Christ is God the Son, has access to the greatest certainty and meaning of mankind.

To see the church as having divine authority by declared revelation in place of an intellectual tradition of reasoning for most of history is narrowing and simplistic. Though the abuses of the Catholic church were many, we see the same abuses made against mankind in governments, wars, history, and confessions of an economic hitman. To make this point consider public education and text books. Today publishers push Darwinism in schools as though it were a church backed truth. In the past we have separated church and state to keep this from happening. Somehow this law did not apply to our youth under the banner of anti-Christ modern industrial science faith. Today secular scientists are mounting up against Darwinism for the missing holes and leaps of faith while this education of non-creation continues. Concurrently mainstream media and publishers continue to blame Christianity as a whole by indirect substitution for the evils of past human governments while ignoring the same international crimes today. We see that Christianity was abused heavily by those in power in times past, and now it is blamed for that old trespass while mainstream media pushes a philosophy which seeks to cut God, the unseen Logos (Word), out of the world view picture. The abuses of power of the past should not define the answers we hold for creation or our right to hold onto hope in Christ publicly. Especially if what we really need is to brush up on some historical facts (and fiction). The world blames Him and discredits Him by advertising false hope in selfishness and even wickedness. Christ, Who is God the Son, allowed His Life to be sacrificed even at the hands of wicked men so that we might belong to Him (John 15:11-16, Titus 2 11-15). But not only can we Christians love our neighbors more correctly with God’s own Spirit; Christ has crossed the divide for us so that we never have to look back.

2 Corinthians 10
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

John 15
11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Titus 2
11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
15 These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

Tillich, Paul. History of Christian Thought. Edited by Carl E. Braaten. 2nd edition. London: SCM-Canterbury Press Ltd, 1968.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Christianity has been under cultural attack many times in history and has always asserted the truth of Christ through every medium and over any stronghold which attempts to oppose the simple truth of God Himself (2 Corinthians 10:3-6).
How many centuries have Christians been trying to love their neighbors while history omits facts?
True followers of Jesus have always been loving their neighbors (not trying to),
and
the world society opposed to Jesus hates Jesus and hates His followers so has always twisted the 'facts' if they even present any facts at all,
same as they did when they accused Jesus attempting to have Him executed.

We all like sheep are led to the slaughter every day.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Christians have been trying (and often succeeding) at loving their neighbors since the time of the Apostles.

To overlay history, philosophy, governments of the world, or Catholicism (as though it was the sum total of Christianity) seems to muddy the waters for me.

We can look at the many writings maintained of and by Christians through the centuries to better understand Christian ethos and practice.

I think I might not understand your question.

Your poll should maybe include 20 centuries. :)

Upvote 0