Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Which would explain the state of our public school system. With our youth spending so much time playing these sort of games.
No. Not at all. Youth know the difference between science and science fiction. If you look through history, every generation has said similar things about the next fad. It's been said about writing, reading, TV, the Internet, video games, smartphones, etc.

The problems with our public school are no child left behind, underfunding of education in favor of football, overworking teachers, and a lot of students with problems at home in poor communities.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
I am told the modern book dealing with this subject is "UP FROM EDEN" by Ken Wilber.
Ah, yes; the neo-Hegelian transpersonalist mystic evolutionary synthesis... I don't think you'll find much quantum mechanics in that.

You may be thinking of another of his, "Quantum Questions: Mystical Writings of the World's Great Physicists"; a carefully selected anthology of essays by physicists whose ideas on mysticism are broadly in tune with his own.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah, yes; the neo-Hegelian transpersonalist mystic evolutionary synthesis...
Ok, he promoted it as neo Jung, but that is fine. What is your theory for the evolution of consciouness and the evolution of the collective conscious? If your going to throw in the word mystic then I assume that the leap of faith from transpersonal psychology to transpersonal evolution if a bit more of a leap then your willing to take :)

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. Not at all. Youth know the difference between science and science fiction. If you look through history, every generation has said similar things about the next fad. It's been said about writing, reading, TV, the Internet, video games, smartphones, etc.
When I was a kid we did not spend a lot of time watching TV. Maybe a half hour or an hour a day. On occasion we would watch an old Tarzan movie. We use to spend a lot of time outside playing. Some kids still do that today but a lot of them don't get out as much as they should.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Ok, he promoted it as neo Jung, but that is fine. What is your theory for the evolution of consciouness and the evolution of the collective conscious?
Wilber picked up stuff from all over - Huxley, Gebser, Buddhist traditions, and, it would seem, Sheldrake.

If you can define clearly what you mean by 'consciousness', and 'collective consciousness', I'll give it a shot. As I said earlier, I don't think 'collective consciousness' is more than a metaphor for shared cultural & social values.

If your going to throw in the word mystic then I assume that the leap of faith from transpersonal psychology to transpersonal evolution if a bit more of a leap then your willing to take :)
Wilber is intimately associated with mysticism; do you have a better word for it?

Yes, I generally avoid taking leaps of faith involving speculative and/or fanciful pseudoscientific ideas. I like to see clear evidence and argument backed by critical thinking.

Upvote 0

LutheranGuy123

Feb 23, 2017
Texas
✟28,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
When I was a kid we did not spend a lot of time watching TV. Maybe a half hour or an hour a day. On occasion we would watch an old Tarzan movie. We use to spend a lot of time outside playing. Some kids still do that today but a lot of them don't get out as much as they should.
And in the 1800's, people said the same thing, except they said it about reading instead of TV. I believe Aristotle or Plato, one of those two, talked about how as kids they had to memorize facts and pass them orally instead of simply writing them down.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you can define clearly what you mean by 'consciousness', and 'collective consciousness', I'll give it a shot. As I said earlier, I don't think 'collective consciousness' is more than a metaphor for shared cultural & social values.
What I am most interested in is covered in the book: Popular delusions and the madness of crowds. I will tell you why, because if people are going to be stupid then I want to cash in on that. My wife has her degree in sociology so she understands people a lot better than I do. The other one was covered in the book: To kill a mockingbird. This sort of group mob mentality that we are starting to see a lot of today as more and more people want to get together and riot and protest.

Now I am looking into Jung and this whole concept of a duel nature that needs to be reconciled as in Hegel and having to reconcile the slave and the master. As far as the Buddhist stuff. He is my brother so I have to humor him and his Buddhism. I mean sometimes the only relationship we can have with people is dysfunctional and you got to go along with what we have to work with.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
OK, I know NOTHING, so don't ask me any questions. I am here to ask questions. Is Genetic Memory possible or not? Again I do not know anything about any of this stuff.

"Genetic memory is the collection of memories of one's ancestors that are passed down into subsequent generations through DNA. It enables instinctive skills in animals, and acted as an archive of history in humans."

https://blogs.ancestry.com/cm/assassins-creed-ancestral-memory-science-based-or-total-fiction/

"Rats raised by bad mothers grew up to be nervous wrecks, as a result of methyl groups attaching to their genes regulating the production of glucocorticoid receptors, which regulate sensitivity to stress hormones."

Yes, it is possible. In fact, it happens.

You can refer to the Monarch Butterfly as an example of preservation in genetic memory through generations.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
What I am most interested in is covered in the book: Popular delusions and the madness of crowds. I will tell you why, because if people are going to be stupid then I want to cash in on that. My wife has her degree in sociology so she understands people a lot better than I do. The other one was covered in the book: To kill a mockingbird. This sort of group mob mentality that we are starting to see a lot of today as more and more people want to get together and riot and protest.

Now I am looking into Jung and this whole concept of a duel nature that needs to be reconciled as in Hegel and having to reconcile the slave and the master. As far as the Buddhist stuff. He is my brother so I have to humor him and his Buddhism. I mean sometimes the only relationship we can have with people is dysfunctional and you got to go along with what we have to work with.
OK; I don't see how that answers the question, but - meh.

Upvote 0