• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Aspirin works on schizophrenia

Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟117,077.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I just ran across something on the internet and I decided to try it, it was a study investigating Aspirin as a treatment from schizophrenia. It definitely had an effect! I have been taking a baby aspirin (80mg) every day and it helps me alot! I have also tried Alka-Seltzer and that helps more, it gives you a stiff dose of Aspirin. The only thing you have to be careful with with Aspirin is that it can cause stomach irritation and potentially stomach bleeding, however this is rare. Apparently Alka-Seltzer is much less likely to cause this, you can also get enteric coated pills and that will help too.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I just ran across something on the internet and I decided to try it, it was a study investigating Aspirin as a treatment from schizophrenia. It definitely had an effect! I have been taking a baby aspirin (80mg) every day and it helps me alot! I have also tried Alka-Seltzer and that helps more, it gives you a stiff dose of Aspirin. The only thing you have to be careful with with Aspirin is that it can cause stomach irritation and potentially stomach bleeding, however this is rare. Apparently Alka-Seltzer is much less likely to cause this, you can also get enteric coated pills and that will help too.
Might be related to your particular chemistry, may not work for others. Some may overdose.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have a link?

Upvote 0

Titus Dorn

Feb 26, 2021
Freetown
✟21,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Interesting. Have you tried B3 niacin?

Reactions: KisKatte
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It's no surprise though, the prescribed meds for these disorders tend to have horrible side effects, so trying anything usually doesn't seem so bad.

I looked up some studies, and there's some low quality evidence that it helps overall better than a placebo, but no precise evidence that it will always help.

Upvote 0

Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟117,077.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟117,077.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's no surprise though, the prescribed meds for these disorders tend to have horrible side effects, so trying anything usually doesn't seem so bad.

I looked up some studies, and there's some low quality evidence that it helps overall better than a placebo, but no precise evidence that it will always help.

It definitely helped me alot, you might want to try it!

Upvote 0

Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟117,077.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Interesting. Have you tried B3 niacin?

I have tried B3 but it made my entire body turn beet red and I was burning all over, apparently this is called the "Niacin flush". It was very uncomfortable and I can't take it again.

Upvote 0

Titus Dorn

Feb 26, 2021
Freetown
✟21,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have tried B3 but it made my entire body turn beet red and I was burning all over, apparently this is called the "Niacin flush". It was very uncomfortable and I can't take it again.
My dad began taking niacin back when the drug company Eli Lilly began manufacturing it in the 60's, 70's.

He also got the niacin flush the first time he took it.

What must be done with this vitamin is to titrate the dosage until the body adjusts to it. Thankfully as uncomfortable as the flush is, it is not harmfull.

Also it must be taken with food in the stomach. Taking it on an empty stomach almost always causes the dilation of the blood vessels at the surface of the skin. Causing the upper torso, arms and head to turn bright red from the increased blood flow.

If what you are doing is working for you then don't change your regimen. I will keep you in my prayers. Wish you all the best. Love you friend, Titus Dorn

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It definitely helped me alot, you might want to try it!
I don't have a diagnosis, but I may keep some on hand in case someone has a heart attack.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums