Asking Theotokos to pray for Us is one of the best things about being an Orthodox Christian

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
*** You Are In The Eastern Orthodox Forum ***

Being able to ask Theotokos (The Virgin Mary) to pray and intercede for Us is one the greatest things about being an Orthodox Christian.

Even being able to ask The Saints in Heaven, The Holy Martyrs and Holy Prophets to pray for Us and to intercede for Us is awesome.

But especially though, being able to ask Theotokos to pray for Us and intercede for Us is Amazing.

Icoana-Maicii-Domnului-Ierusalimita-800x600px.jpg

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The earliest known prayer to the Theotokos (250 A.D.) :

Ὑπὸ τὴν σὴν
εὐσπλαγχνίαν
καταφεύγομεν
Θεοτὸκε· τὰς ἡμῶν
ἱκεσίας μὴ παρ-
ίδῃς ἐν περιστάσει
ἀλλ᾽ ἐκ κινδύνου
λύτρωσαι ἡμᾶς
μόνη ἁγνὴ
μόνη εὐλογημένη.

Beneath your
compassion
we take refuge,
Theotokos! Our
prayers, do not despise
in necessities,
but from danger
deliver us,
only pure,
only blessed one.

"So far, the earliest known prayer to the Virgin Mary is known as “Beneath thy compassion” (Greek: Ὑπὸ τὴν σὴν εὐσπλαγχνίαν). The earliest text of this hymn was found in a Christmas liturgy of the third century. It is written in Greek and dates to approximately A.D. 250.

In 1917, the John Rylands Library in Manchester acquired a large panel of Egyptian papyrus including a 18 x 9.4 cm fragment containing the text of this prayer in Greek.

C.H. Roberts published this document in 1938. His colleague E. Lobel, with whom he collaborated in editing the Oxyrhynchus papyri, basing his arguments on paleographic analysis, argued that the text could not possibly be older than the third century, and most probably was written between 250 and 300 A.D.

This hymn thus precedes the “Hail Mary” in Christian prayer by several centuries.
Interestingly, the hymn calls Mary Theotokos (“she who gave birth to God”) two centuries before the Nestorian heresy arose."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have a hand-drawn icon of the Theotokos but it just exists on paper. It's in a frame right now, but I want to get a piece of wood the right size and mount it. Holy Theotokos pray for us sinners!

Upvote 0

Lyrasong

Oct 3, 2012
✟16,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Being able to ask Theotokos (The Virgin Mary) to pray and intercede for Us is one the greatest things about being an Orthodox Christian.

Even being able to ask The Saints in Heaven, The Holy Martyrs and Holy Prophets to pray for Us and to intercede for Us is awesome.

But especially though, being able to ask Theotokos to pray for Us and intercede for Us is Amazing.

Yes, it is and she is ... our most loving and strongest prayer-partner during our earthly pilgrimage. We are never alone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Wish I could say the same
When I was a catholic I was a worshipper of Mary, thinking of her more than God.
I do not think I’ll ever feel comfortable doing so again from past sins

• Agree
Reactions: Markie Boy
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When I was a catholic I was a worshipper of Mary, thinking of her more than God.

you just gotta know the difference between worship and veneration.

• Agree
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,296,794.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Goodhuman - you said <<My priest gave me towel from the altar of the church.>>

1) what do you actually mean ?
2) what does this have to do with the subject of the thread - " Asking the Theotokos to pray for us ............ ?

I'm really puzzled

• Agree
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I am in the RCC, and struggle with her role. She does seem to get more attention than Jesus too often. And too often prayer to like she has powers like God - which I don't think is right. She can pray for us for sure, but beyond that I don't know.

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,396,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I am in the RCC, and struggle with her role. She does seem to get more attention than Jesus too often. And too often prayer to like she has powers like God - which I don't think is right. She can pray for us for sure, but beyond that I don't know.

She prays and intercedes for us to Her Son and our God.

Upvote 0