Asking Christians: How is killing all the first born sons of egypt moral?

whatdoyounkiooo

Jul 20, 2020
houston
✟579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Where did I contradict myself? I can't help it if you don't understand. Since you keep asking the same questions you obviously don't.

Every statement I make I back up with a Bible verse and if I missed any, point them out and I will add a verse.

Since I don't have a handy time machine to go back to AD 52 I'm afraid not.
Is Timothy the one that said that women
should never teach men or usurp authority over any man?
And for women to learn in silence from their husbands and to not speak in church?

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is Timothy the one that said that women
should never teach men or usurp authority over any man?
And for women to learn in silence from their husbands and to not speak in church?

That was Paul in the book of Timothy. There is already another thread on that, so maybe either dig it up or make a new one since this is supposed to be about the morality of killing the firstborn in Egypt.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well is that scripture?

That is a huge discussion involving multiple scriptures, the Greek wording, as well as cultural considerations and I am not derailing this thread into that one. Make a new thread.

Upvote 0

whatdoyounkiooo

Jul 20, 2020
houston
✟579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That is a huge discussion involving multiple scriptures, the Greek wording, as well as cultural considerations and I am not derailing this thread into that one. Make a new thread.
It was you that was quoting to me from the book of Timothy.
What you measure out shall be measured back unto you.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was you that was quoting to me from the book of Timothy.
What you measure out shall be measured back unto you.

I quoted you a scripture, on scripture being God-breathed, you brought up this other topic. Each book of the Bible covers a wide range of topics.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟194,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
They have the sin nature, this is why we die. Sin brought in death. before sin there was no death.
Romans 5:12
Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned-

Not that they have committed sin, but they have inherited the propensity to sin which will show as soon as they are old enough to physically sin. This is why we are all sinners.
Romans 3:23

23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Only Jesus was sinless. A sin can be as small as losing your temper. The New Testament says whatever is not done in faith is sin, bad thoughts can be sin. Sin does not have to be something huge like murder.

Committing sin and the propensity to sin are two different things.

By herself Eve did not have the propensity to sin, she needed an outside influence. Satan influenced her and then she influenced Adam. This is why Jesus was tempted in the desert. He too had no propensity to sin. The devil tempted him and he resisted each time. Where Adam failed Christ succeeded.

We also know that people will be judged on the sins they have committed as well.

Who is deserving of hell? I already told you babies do not go to hell, the blood of Jesus covers the innocent. In fact some people have used this argument for abortion since aborted babies souls will go to heaven. However, the act of murder is the same regardless of the soul's age.

Your Romans quote indicates all have sinned. You agreed, saying only Jesus was sinless. But above that you claim "Not that they have committed sin, but they have inherited the propensity to sin which will show as soon as they are old enough to physically sin," thereby claiming that there are those who are too young to sin.

You contradicted yourself.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your Romans quote indicates all have sinned. You agreed, saying only Jesus was sinless. But above that you claim "Not that they have committed sin, but they have inherited the propensity to sin which will show as soon as they are old enough to physically sin," thereby claiming that there are those who are too young to sin.

You contradicted yourself.

There is no contradiction, 'All' means the world, those of us living in it. All of us have sinned.

The embryo has the sin nature in its soul but it can't commit sins yet since it doesn't have the means to sin or a mind yet to carry it out. I even said these are two different things.
1) The sinful nature that we inherit from our father that got passed down from Adam.
2) the sins that people can carry out either in their mind or with their physical body.
obviously the unborn doesn't have either of those two in place yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought it was just grand when He drowned all but 8 souls
every woman man and child by water upon the whole earth.

Don't you?

Is this a rhetorical question, one that's primed to 'punk' my conscience or something?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isn’t murder the “unlawful” killing??

Probably using the wrong word if that be the case. Or - make a “law” that forbids God from killing and then call Him a murderer next time someone dies??
Yes.

But, since everyone dies, then the death rate or killing is 100%, since God is behind nature itself, and has specifically made us mortal, no less.

Right? So, the OP question is only a small bit of that bigger picture.

But, we learn from the same text telling us all of these things that cause these questions like the OP question, the very same text, that death of this body is only like a doorway or "sleep" (the actual word used repeatedly in scripture, such as by Christ, no less).

A transition. To next the accounting, where:

Romans 2:6 God "will repay each one according to his deeds."

Or more fully --
7To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. 9There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11For God does not show favoritism.

12All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares."
Romans 2 NIV

And this is one way to begin to see why we need a Redeemer, one who can restore us, make us new.

Upvote 0

Lord Vega

King NES
Jun 13, 2020
Clearwater, FL
✟17,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
According to my understanding, God punished them for enslaving jews, and this is one of the punishment. Why did God punishing innocent kids instead of adults who did the enslaving?

Some of the common responses are 1."Morality does not apply to God" If that's the case, how do to condemn jihad in Islam? They are not bound by morality because they believe God tell them to do it. 2."God is not supposed to be a role model" But Jesus is role model, And Jesus is God. 3."Grand plans, killing to the kids are necessary to achieve it" God is omnipotent. Hard to believe avoiding killing innocent kids is impossible for the omnipotent to achieve the grand place. Thank you for reading in advance. I got banned on another forum asking this.

Edit: question answered: God might killed the kids painlessly and sent them to heaven.

Not every Christian believes in a literal interpretation of certain parts of the Bible. For example, the Tower of Babel is the Bible's way of explaining the origin of all the different languages humans speak. It sounds like something out of a mythology book. Hence for that reason I view it as an allegorical tale. By the same token, I don't actually believe God killed the first born child of every Egyptian. The Book of Exodus wasn't written shortly after the events in it transpired; it was told orally from generation to generation until it eventually was written down in a book. For this reason, a lot of it might be exaggerated.

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not every Christian believes in a literal interpretation of certain parts of the Bible. For example, the Tower of Babel is the Bible's way of explaining the origin of all the different languages humans speak. It sounds like something out of a mythology book. Hence for that reason I view it as an allegorical tale. By the same token, I don't actually believe God killed the first born child of every Egyptian. The Book of Exodus wasn't written shortly after the events in it transpired; it was told orally from generation to generation until it eventually was written down in a book. For this reason, a lot of it might be exaggerated.
I think the same about a lot of bits in there.

I think the stories are inspired from God and make very serious points. I think they speak to our spirits and we need them. I believe God talks to us through them.

Not sure they are all to be taken literally.

In my understanding of them - I am satisfied they are “the truth” even though the things might not have literally happened.

Are your thoughts similar?

Upvote 0