• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Asked to leave church by an Usher

Discussion in 'Looking for a Church' started by Jeff11, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Julian of Norwich

Julian of Norwich AngloCatholic

+149
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    His prayer doesn't ask us to forgive only if the other is penitent, but He says He won't forgive you unless you forgive others.......period.

2. Jeff11

Jeff11 New Member

+29
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    I can forgive them but I cannot return to that church where they will treat other people the way they treated me. I don’t agree with doing that.

3. Julian of Norwich

Julian of Norwich AngloCatholic

+149
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Forgiveness doesn't mean being a doormat. Don't go to that church if you so desire, as long as you forgive all involved (for your own good).

4. ChristianGirl_96

ChristianGirl_96 Active Member

+512
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Oh no. Maybe you should find a new church immediately. I love our local church for several reasons. Not only are there activities for children, the adults are made to feel welcome there.
    Is it possible to talk to his senior or not? Sounds like the church made a bad decision that could potentially damage their reputation.

5. Jeff11

Jeff11 New Member

+29
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    I talked to the head of security at the church as I was leaving. He said he trained the ushers twice a year. He said they wanted to keep the aisle clear for emergency personnel if needed. Most of the ushers are first responders. It was fairly obvious they put Security as more important than anything else.

He wanted me to go back inside and talk to this usher but I did not want to have a confrontation with this person. I didn’t want to have a discussion in the middle of church with an usher about why he was asking me to leave. He claimed he was going to have him apologize to me but I did not see that happening. instead I expected to be treated the same way again. I could be seated by an usher or leave. I’m not comfortable with that.

But he refused to address it with the ushers unless I went back in and told him the specific usher. I didn’t want to have a confrontation with this person. So to my knowledge he has never addressed this problem with any of the ushers there. Which is why I won’t go back.

6. BirdBrain27

BirdBrain27 New Member

+20
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    So sorry this happened to you. Churches can get into trouble with the Fire marshal. For allowing people to congregate by the doors and in the aisles. Because it blocks access in case of an emergency.

7. Radagast

Radagast has left CF Supporter

+7,284
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    In other words, he offered you a seat and you refused (or at least, that's what he thought).

Ushers are generally used when finding a seat on your own is difficult. For example, in very crowded churches.

8. Radagast

Radagast has left CF Supporter

+7,284
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    The fact that the church was making a big thing of it suggests that they were under pressure from local government on that issue. Training all the ushers as first responders seems a little unusual and sounds like the sort of thing a church might do to avoid being closed down by local government.

9. ProdigalGander

ProdigalGander New Member

+29
    United States
    Catholic
    Divorced
    I was an usher in my church for 13 years. Keeping the aisles clear in case of an emergency is a serious issue, and something that we were charged with enforcing. I remember I once had to very politely ask a lady to fold her walker and stow it under the pew as she had left it in an aisle where it was blocking traffic.

We also had some pastors for whom people milling around in the back was just a serious personal bugaboo. They would be admonished from the altar to find a seat and sit down. I don't recall having to ever throw anyone out though.

And yes, in recent years, we were all wary of some type of trouble. Terrorists, whacko shooters, Satanists attempting to grab a consecrated host for a Black Mass. I had prepared myself to be ready to tackle somebody and fight them if necessary.

But my #1 job as an usher? Extending my right index finger and saying "Bathrooms? Over there!"

10. Newtheran

Newtheran Well-Known Member

+557
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Republican
    Perhaps they're concerned about the fire hazard when people break out their lighters and start swaying back and forth?

11. miggles

miggles miggles

+529
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    no one should be asked to leave a church.