NJ
✟8,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
New here. In general I kind of could find most of the answers about Christian living but got stumbled on something I just don't know how to act.
My sister in law (non-believer) lives in Turkey and has I think 12 year old autistic son who is a fan of Islam, Quran, etc....I don't know how extreme though. She asked my wife (her sister) to order certain Islamic souvenir (about $20) here in US for her son which she can't buy in Turkey. My wife will be traveling and seeing her sister later this year.
So....I don't know how to act. So far options are:
1. Order the souvenir and give it as a gift.
2. Order the souvenir and ask for money later.
3. Ask her to order the souvenir herself and ship to our address. And give it to her whenever my wife travels.
4. Refuse ordering

In case of option 4, there will be some tensions in relationship obviously....
I personally am not comfortable with ordering this souvenir, and I might be making big deal out of it but my understanding by buying this souvenir we kinda of show we're OK with it in certain way, it's not that big of a deal. But I think if a person is alcoholic and you give him shot glass souvenir, it's not right....or if someone is in serious gambling and you give him roulette souvenir. Here, autistic child is worshiping false religion, is it a right thing to give him Islamic souvenir? What would be considered sinful in the options I have?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You are not buying it for yourself, and "it" appears to be something of passing interest (if "souvenir" is correct), not an essential for Muslim worship, etc. You might be able to find more about the meaning of the thing through an online search. But...

my guess is that you should find out if it can be shipped direct to Turkey and, if so, pay for it and have it sent. You'll have to decide on the matter of whether she should reimburse you or not, and where the item is to be shipped, but I don't see these decisions as affecting the moral implications, if any.

• Agree
Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0

goro

Aug 20, 2019
NJ
✟8,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are not buying it for yourself, and "it" appears to be something of passing interest (if "souvenir" is correct), not an essential for Muslim worship, etc. You might be able to find more about the meaning of the thing through an online search. But...

my guess is that you should find out if it can be shipped direct to Turkey and, if so, pay for it and have it sent. You'll have to decide on the matter of whether she should reimburse you or not, and where the item is to be shipped, but I don't see these decisions as affecting the moral implications, if any.

It is not essential for Muslim worship but I feel like we in certain way would confirm this path of religion. I know I'm not buying it for myself, and to be honest I would not want to buy it for anyone especially for totally lost and ill-spiritual autistic child.
Shipping directly is not an option, costs 5 times more than souvenir itself.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is not essential for Muslim worship but I feel like we in certain way would confirm this path of religion. I know I'm not buying it for myself, and to be honest I would not want to buy it for anyone especially for totally lost and ill-spiritual autistic child.
Personally, I don't think it rises to that level, but I do appreciate your concern. Let's see what other posters think about it.

Oh yes. I should have known that. Of course, there is also the matter of what the item costs in itself and how much peace in the family is worth or whether your cooperation in this instance would cause her to ask again and again.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
New here. In general I kind of could find most of the answers about Christian living but got stumbled on something I just don't know how to act.
My sister in law (non-believer) lives in Turkey and has I think 12 year old autistic son who is a fan of Islam, Quran, etc....I don't know how extreme though. She asked my wife (her sister) to order certain Islamic souvenir (about $20) here in US for her son which she can't buy in Turkey. My wife will be traveling and seeing her sister later this year.
3. Ask her to order the souvenir herself and ship to our address. And give it to her whenever my wife travels.
4. Refuse ordering

I personally am not comfortable with ordering this souvenir, and I might be making big deal out of it but my understanding by buying this souvenir we kinda of show we're OK with it in certain way, it's not that big of a deal. But I think if a person is alcoholic and you give him shot glass souvenir, it's not right....or if someone is in serious gambling and you give him roulette souvenir. Here, autistic child is worshiping false religion, is it a right thing to give him Islamic souvenir? What would be considered sinful in the options I have?
What's the souvenir?

I would recommend trying to study Islam more as you seem perhaps afraid to look at it. There's a lot of Christian perspective books out there. "Encountering the world Islam" is a great one, has it's own website and even online group classes you can take. You can probably even find a free pdf of it somewhere. There is no excuse to be scared or ignorant of our mission.

You can tell us what the gift is or learn for yourself if it is a good idea to give it. there's a chance you could spin it around and use it as a way to share the gospel. Who cares what the item is, the gospel matters more. They might be open to hearing the gospel with the gift rather than you denying the gift which sets a different mood.

Upvote 0

Pedra

Mar 6, 2015
✟36,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
4. Refuse ordering

If I reframe this , for eg if my brother asked me to buy my nephew some hindu religious text or shiva statue to have in his room , I could not as a believer in Christ support that & there are many other non-religious hobbies or interests that I would not equally support btw.
I'd find another way to do something for him. The Bible tells us following Jesus goes against the grain and will make us unpopular sometimes, we have to take up our cross and follow Him. I'd rather take the flack and pray daily for grace & blessings for my sister-in-law and her family that God would miraculously reach them there in Turkey & lead them to Christ Jesus.
What did Jesus mean when He said, “Take up your cross and follow Me”? | GotQuestions.org

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you have reservations, I would politely decline to buy this. I understand what you mean. It would be like buying a book on paganism for a child. Maybe not so harmless.

Upvote 0

Kris Jordan

Acts 4:12
May 1, 2019
Southern California
Visit site
✟46,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel like if it wasn't me she would have bought it as a gift with no problems....

No matter what any of us thinks or says, if it's something you have a conviction about and feel like you'd be sinning if you participated in purchasing it, shipping it, etc., then you should explain that conviction respectfully and lovingly to your wife (without making her feel like she's wrong for not having the same conviction about it and without trying to play the role of the Holy Spirit in her life), and then honor Jesus by not participating in the purchase at all.

If your wife chooses to purchase the items for her sister, that is between her and Jesus and has nothing to do with you. :)

Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If your conscience will allow it, it might be beneficial to buy it and make it a gift for the sake of friendship. I would not want to send something that I thought would be used as an idol, though.

This might be an opportunity to also send something that would lift up Jesus. You would need to be careful choosing something to send that was not 'blatantly' Christian or likely to be considered anti-muslim though.

Clearly this is a difficult decision; I will pray that God will give you wisdom to do the most beneficial thing.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,787.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The Bible tells us not to have any pagan thing in our homes, and I'm sure that means in our possession in general. They are considered to be unclean. So the problem starts with you having any such item in your possesion, even temporarily.

You do not want to be giving anyone something from Islam. It teaches things like that Christians and Jews should be killed, women are mute animals, Messiah was never crucified for our sins and is not the Son of the Father, that Judas was the one hung on the cross, etc. etc.. Do not spread the doctrines of demons but stand firm in your own faith. You can do that with gentleness and even love. If someone gets angry, well, sometimes there is a cost for being a Christian. We are to seek to please the Father, not the world, especially the pagan world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

goro

Aug 20, 2019
NJ
✟8,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The kid isn't being introduced to some religion in this way, however. He is being raised as a Muslim by a Muslim parent in a Muslim country.
Not really, his mom is not religious at all, and although father's family call themselves Muslims, they don't really practice it besides holidays and stuff.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,226,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT ON
Christian Advice Statement of Purpose
Christian advice is defined as advice which contains basic Christian principles that do not conflict with the site's Statement of Faith. We would ask that members direct their responses to the member who started the thread and refrain from debating one another's theological beliefs and viewpoints. Do not use this forum to debate with other Christians as that is not the purpose of the Christian Advice forum. If members would like to discuss/debate specific Christian theological doctrines, they should do so in one of the Theology forums.

All advice should be given in the spirit of love and humility, extending grace and respect towards one another in an effort to encourage and uplift the member seeking advice. We would like this forum to remain a safe place where Christians can request advice from other Christians without fear of being attacked. With this in mind, posts that chastise or belittle another member will be deleted and the member may be banned from the thread. Posts that debate rather than advise will also be deleted and the member may be banned from the thread. If you are banned from a thread and would like to discuss the situation with an Administrator, please open a ticket in support.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

goro

Aug 20, 2019
NJ
✟8,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No matter what any of us thinks or says, if it's something you have a conviction about and feel like you'd be sinning if you participated in purchasing it, shipping it, etc., then you should explain that conviction respectfully and lovingly to your wife (without making her feel like she's wrong for not having the same conviction about it and without trying to play the role of the Holy Spirit in her life), and then honor Jesus by not participating in the purchase at all.

If your wife chooses to purchase the items for her sister, that is between her and Jesus and has nothing to do with you. :)

That would not be healthy. I expect that we make those decisions together as one, not separately.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
4. Refuse ordering

I'll take number three for $20 (saved)....Alex

Upvote 0