USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
What is the proper response to the proclamation of the gospel? What do we ask of an unbeliever when we proclaim the gospel to him?

Do we ask him to say a particular prayer, e.g., the "sinners prayer"?

Do we ask him to "invite Jesus into his heart"?

If in a church setting, do we ask him to raise his hand or come forward for prayer?

What's the very first thing you tell, or ask of, someone after you present him with the gospel?

Last edited:

TurtleFish The Challenged

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2017
New York
✟44,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I appreciate these thought challenges you post!

I believe the leading of the Spirit is important here regarding witnessing to an unbeliever. God knows where his/her heart is at. We could only guess. It's good to pray for discernment I think to see clearly and give any words of wisdom/knowledge during their leading to the Lord.

The salvation presentation is tailored to each individual heart and worked by the Holy Spirit. I think generic preparations such as a "sinner's prayer" or speech can be useful, a tool in our arsenal of being prepared to give an answer for the hope within us. Ultimately the Spirit penetrates what is the most important for the sinner to hear. There is no right answer or prepared speech or prayer to universalize I believe.

Giving false assurance to someone who doesn't understand fully or has not got the complete picture internally is a troubling thought also... We need to give great care to be mindful of not falsely interpreting a potential conversion. Encouraging steps for Christian growth after the leading is important also... pardon for any rambling.

Upvote 0

Friend-of-Jesus

Jul 21, 2017
Alberta
✟45,031.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is the proper response to the proclamation of the gospel? What do we ask of an unbeliever when we proclaim the gospel to him?

If in a church setting, do we ask him to raise his hand or come forward for prayer?

What's the very first thing you tell someone after you present him with the gospel?

According to the Bible, all one has to do is to believe. It's inside the heart. Before baptisms, in the Bible the Apostles would ask if they believed or not, that's all. I think it must be very simple. Churches really complicate things, way beyond what they ever were in the Bible

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What's the very first thing you tell someone after you present him with the gospel?
The same thing Jesus told the thief on the cross who could not raise a hand, walk an aisle, be baptized. Today...(use your own words)

We don't "invite" Jesus anywhere. Rather, He invites us--"YOU! FOLLOW ME!"

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The same thing Jesus told the thief on the cross who could not raise a hand, walk an aisle, be baptized. Today...(use your own words)

We don't "invite" Jesus anywhere. Rather, He invites us--"YOU! FOLLOW ME!"

Well said.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate these thought challenges you post!

Thanks.

Christians ought to know what they believe, and why they believe it, so it's good to think through these things.

Ultimately the Spirit penetrates what is the most important for the sinner to hear.

I agree.

The salvation presentation is tailored to each individual heart

Isn't there an example of standard biblical words or actions that address the question I've posed? What about when sermons where given to hundreds of people at once? How did the speaker individualize that?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
According to the Bible, all one has to do is to believe. It's inside the heart. Before baptisms, in the Bible the Apostles would ask if they believed or not, that's all. I think it must be very simple. Churches really complicate things, way beyond what they ever were in the Bible

The gospel is news. Believing news is as easy as falling off of a log, but we do complicate it, but why do you think we do?

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It has always concerned me that evangelicals and so called fundamentalists who shout bible alone the loudest , then invent quasi sacraments out of thin air with zero scriptural mention anywhere such as " asking Jesus into your life" where baptism is clear tradition and also the scriptural start to the Christian journey.

I am not overstating it when I say it is part of the reason I began to question the veracity of their teaching and so study early church tradition and way of doing things, which led me to where I am.

So to me ,inviting attendance at teaching about baptism is the first step.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
It has always concerned me that evangelicals and so called fundamentalists who shout bible alone the loudest , then invent quasi sacraments out of thin air with zero scriptural mention anywhere such as " asking Jesus into your life"

They've done these things without giving them much thought, and it bothers me too, which is how I ended up in the Reformed camp.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Acts 2 contains the first recorded gospel sermon and after Peter presented the gospel to his hearers and convicted them of their sins and they asked what they must do Peter commanded them to repent and be baptized.

Simple. Like it.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

What's the very first thing you tell, or ask of, someone after you present him with the gospel?

Repent and be baptized.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"Would you like to accept Jesus Christ to be your Lord and your personal savior?"

if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For one believes with the heart and so is justified, and one confesses with the mouth and so is saved. (Romans 10:9-10)

Upvote 0