✟3,848.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello Everyone,

I had stumbled on an interesting passage in the Bible that might be worth philosophizing about. Here's the passage:

"And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it" (John 14:13-14).

Upon reading this, I initially thought "Wow, I can ask the Father anything in Christ's name, and it will be granted true! How wonderful!" But as I thought about this a little deeper, I realized that this was a promise made to Christians only. And that a real Christian would never willingly and gladly transgress the Ten Commandments.

So a real Christian would never pray to have sex with his next-door neighbor's wife, pray for his supervisor to drop dead, or pray for God to help him rob a bank. In other words, it's okay to ask God for something, as long as it does not transgress the Ten Commandments.

It seems clear, right? But wait a minute! Not all of my Christian brothers agree. Some Christians think that it's blasphemous to ask God for particular things. That Christians are only allowed to pray "Let your will be done Lord, not my will" as alluded to in the Lord's Prayer.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul4JC

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello Everyone,

I had stumbled on an interesting passage in the Bible that might be worth philosophizing about. Here's the passage:

"And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it" (John 14:13-14).

Upon reading this, I initially thought "Wow, I can ask the Father anything in Christ's name, and it will be granted true! How wonderful!" But as I thought about this a little deeper, I realized that this was a promise made to Christians only. And that a real Christian would never willingly and gladly transgress the Ten Commandments.

So a real Christian would never pray to have sex with his next door neighbor's wife, pray for his supervisor to drop dead, or pray for God to help him rob a bank. In other words, it's okay to ask God for something, as long as it does not transgress the Ten Commandments.

It seems clear, right? But wait a minute! Not all of my Christian brothers agree. Some Christians think that it's blasphemous to ask God for particular things. That Christians are only allowed to pray "Let your will be done Lord, not my will" as alluded to in the Lord's Prayer.

What do you think?
If all you pray is God's will, that's fine, but it is also sterile. What dad would be happy if his child just asked "Dad, your will alone, not mine". The Christian life is a relationship, not a religion.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,136.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What do you think?

Yes. Also there might be another way of looking at this. You may ask for anything in Jesus name and he will do it.

So what's in a name? His name, Yeshua, means Salvation, deliverance, rescue. These things are in his name. So if you ask for Salvation or deliverance he will do it, because these things are in his name. Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. God Bless :)

Upvote 0