United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From a reader…

I’m writing from New Zealand and I’m a great believer in the power of Novenas. It will soon be the United States election which not just concerns the States but the entire political axis of the World. A Trump victory would be great. Also a good tonic against the Queen of the left Jacinda Ardern leader of New Zealand who won a massive landslide here last weekend. Any particular prayer or novena for your readers to pray?

I’m reminded of story about a man who really really really wanted a Maserati. He wanted it so badly that he considered praying a novena for one. However, he had a qualm of conscience about praying for something so worldly. He decided to ask a priest. He went to the nearby parish, staffed by Franciscans and asked the priest if it would be okay to pray a novena for a Maserati. The unworldly Franciscan was puzzled and asked “What’s a Maserati?” When told, Father responded that it would not be right to pray a novena for such a car. Dismayed, the man went on his way, but he decided he needed a second opinion. Stopping at an other parish, one staffed by Dominicans, he presented his question. Again, the friar didn’t know about Maseratis and, when informed, doubled down on the Franciscan’s “no”. Determined to get yet another opinion, he stopped at the local college staffed by Jesuits. Having easily identified a Jesuit by his lack of clerical clothing, he asked if it would be okay to pray a novena for a Maserati. Puzzled for a moment, the Jesuit asked, “What’s a novena?”

Can one pray a novena about the outcome of an election? I think, “yes”. You can pray for peace and for rain and for good crops and for the cessation of earthquakes… all for the common good.

Yes, you can pray a novena for the outcome of an election. You could, in a determined way, pray to the Angel Guardians of other voters, that they should be illuminated properly about the advisability of the candidates, that they make an informed choice, in keeping especially with their view of the common good and Christian principles.

Also, many years ago a priest friend who was a professor of history at the local Catholic college – not a Jesuit – had all the students, Catholic or not, pray a Memorare before class. When asked why he chose that prayer, he said, “Because it is the most obnoxiously Catholic prayer I know.”

I know nothing about the politics of New Zealand. However, things in these United States are really serious. This is the most important Presidential and Senatorial election cycle of my life time. The results of this election will have profound consequences for the rest of the world. Hence, those of you who do NOT live in these USA had better get down on your knees and pray pray pray for a good outcome from the ballot box. I am convinced that there will be massive ballot/voting fraud which will lead to conflict and fear. There are powerful forces arrayed against one side in particular, and they are not going to go gentle into that good night.

I, personally, could never consider voting for a candidate who supports the Democrat platform, with its demonic promotion of abortion.

At the same time, I consider it utter madness to refuse to vote on basis that there isn’t a perfect candidate. The more important the election, the crazier it is not to vote.

Moreover, there are “down ticket” items on ballots, local offices, etc., and we ought to be engaged on a local level for the sake of the common good.

I don’t think it is a absolute moral imperative to vote, an absolute obligation. However, there is a strong moral case to be made in favor of voting, even if the better candidate is not perfect. The more important the election, the stronger the case in favor of participation.

I have been praying for a good outcome to this election. I hope you all will too.

I very much hope you will also VOTE.

ASK FATHER: "What prayers or novena for a Trump victory?"

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status