God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Dangerous line of thinking here: proposing that God ordered the world in such a way that it looks entirely plausible without God.

Only if you ignore the creation act and subsequent acts of divine intervention.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,959.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Why should I not pursue my own interests at the expense of others?
Are you saying that you (specifically you, not the general
‘you’) genuinely cannot see a reason not to pursue one’s own interest at the expense of other if there was no threat of punishment in the afterlife?

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,959.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
They're pretty straightforward yes-or-no questions.

Here are some more I like to put atheists on the spot with:

1. Was Jesus born of a virgin?

2. If so, should we view Him as a glorified ape Who died on the Cross to redeem us?

3. Are we mutant copy-errors claiming to be made in the image & likeness of God?

4. Were the OT Jews appropriately considered: ignorant, Bronze Age, desert-dwelling nomads?
1: no
2: no
3: Christians, Jews and Muslims are.
4: of many things, yes.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dangerous line of thinking here: proposing that God ordered the world in such a way that it looks entirely plausible without God.

Or, the actual complexity with which He invested it is such that, from a human perspective, it almost appears ... He didn't touch it. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,933.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is only one God. God is not offended by name-calling.
He is only offended by not following the leading of His Spirit:

37 Jesus declared, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’d
38 This is the first and greatest commandment.
39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’e
40 All the Law and the Prophets depend on these two commandments.”
Then Why do people of other religions. Pray to their God /I guess the Non-Christian God. And still receive their miracle.

Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Are you saying that you (specifically you, not the general
‘you’) genuinely cannot see a reason not to pursue one’s own interest at the expense of other if there was no threat of punishment in the afterlife?

I don't see a threat of an afterlife as a motive for anything. I have no apparent reason to believe that there will be any kind of judgement after death so to use that as a motivator would be nonsensical to me. My motives are much more immediate. Firstly my own sense of guilt keeps me from committing acts harmful to others, secondly the judgement from my peers are a large motivator for me. I care how others see me, if people see me as a good person then civil life will be easier and better.

The thing that seems to be agreed upon by most of us is that a capacity for a moral code is an ingrained feature in us. We just don't necessarily agree on why/how we have it.

• Agree
Reactions: evoeth
Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello friendly atheist:

Do you think the world would be better off without religion?

Why do you think anyone (even intelligent people) would believe in God?

What would it take to prove God existed IYO?
It's been a little bit but I'll try to answer anyway.

I think we'd be better off if we move away from religion being the main driver of society. I don't think I can honestly say we'd be better off without religion because it is too ubiquitous to imagine things without it.

Someone else mentioned Michael Shermer in response to your second question and I would concur with that. He has a very good presentation on youtube about why people believe.

Lastly, not to be flippant, but if God would show himself to us with a pillar of fire or other kinds Old Testament acts, it would definitely make me reconsider.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,013.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If I don't believe in a God or an afterlife, then there are no consequences for my actions, assuming they are legal. Freud rightly puzzles over the Golden Rule in Civilization and Its Discontents. Rather than feeling humane love for a neighbor unknown to him, Freud pronounced "this stranger on the whole unworthy of love, but, to be honest I must confess he has more claim to my hostility, even to my hatred." In his mind "Love thy neighbor as thy neighbor loves thee" was a more sensible formulation.

Do you believe God forgives you your transgressions if you repent? If so how do you see that as different from there not being a God? Are you not spared consequences in both cases?

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The only question for a Christian to ask an atheist is whether their assumption of materialism allows for the possibility of a spiritual realm having souls, consciousness, God, etc. If the answer is "no", then no other questions need to be asked. The discussion is dead.

Possibility....yes. Probability....not so much!

Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
God doesn't explain it, not in the way you are implying.
That's the point I'm making. In order to cite "creation" as evidence for the existence of God, you need a mechanism linking it to God. No mechanism => not evidence for God.

That God is responsible for creation, is an assertion. Creation is not evidence for the existence of God without a known link between the two.

Reactions: Gene Parmesan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That's the point I'm making. In order to cite "creation" as evidence for the existence of God, you need a mechanism linking it to God. No mechanism => not evidence for God.

That God is responsible for creation, is an assertion. Creation is not evidence for the existence of God without a known link between the two.
Its a matter of faith. I think that was the unspoken background of his reply to me.

Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I'm not citing it as evidence. I'm elucidating my belief.

Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You gave creation as an argument for the existence of God, or rather you cited as something an atheist needed to ignore to not believe in God (which is the same thing, contraposition and all).

Yet now you're saying it's just "elucidating your belief?"

Sounds much more like a cop out.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.