Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi, I've come to this forum to learn more about the diverse group of Christians and what exactly you guys share and where you disagree. I've only been here a short time and have already learned more than I did when I first showed up. Thanks for that.

Now in keeping with what's fair, I would like to answer any questions you have regarding atheism as I understand it. Now I can't speak for all atheists but I may be able to help give some perspective. I don't know how quickly I'll be able to respond to everyone who asks a question but I'll give it my best.

So feel free to ask me just about anything?

Reactions: Kylie

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi, I've come to this forum to learn more about the diverse group of Christians and what exactly you guys share and where you disagree. I've only been here a short time and have already learned more than I did when I first showed up. Thanks for that.

Now in keeping with what's fair, I would like to answer any questions you have regarding atheism as I understand it. Now I can't speak for all atheists but I may be able to help give some perspective. I don't know how quickly I'll be able to respond to everyone who asks a question but I'll give it my best.

So if I pray to God with an urgent need for another (disabled) person, and I give up the control over the need and just let God answer in His own way, then the need is instantly and dramatically filled, like the rain stopped and the sun came out and a path opened up for my car to drive on..... what do Atheists call an event like that?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Ooh that's a tough one lol. I would probably have to say Thai noodles.
Sounds awesome. I had Thai a few days ago, it was great. Little place, would have driven right past it if it weren't for a blocked street. Might even go there again, though it's 90 km from my place.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Ok, then. Since this is the Ethics forum, who is your favorite Ethicist? :cool:

Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So if I pray to God with an urgent need for another (disabled) person, and I give up the control over the need and just let God answer in His own way, then the need is instantly and dramatically filled, like the rain stopped and the sun came out and a path opened up for my car to drive on..... what do Atheists call an event like that?

Well I haven't seen anything that dramatic happen before and I don't know how we would determine that it is the result of prayer and not just a coincidence. It would also make me wonder about all of the other people who pray and see no effect.

But to move beyond that example prayer alone even if it were proven to be effective. I don't think would convince me of an all knowing God just yet. It would only tell me that prayer produces results but it wouldn't tell me why. As it stands I know of no study that shows the efficacy of prayer. So it is kind of a moot point until it can be shown to be effective. Hopefully that answers the question.

Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok, then. Since this is the Ethics forum, who is your favorite Ethicist? :cool:

I don't know if I can answer that directly. I can mention some of the people who helped me form my worldview on these matters. When it comes to these philosophical questions I like to listen to people like Michael Shermer, Matt Dillahunty, Eugenie Scott and yes Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins. That isn't to say I agree with them on everything but generally I'm in their corner so to speak. Of course there are others I admire but that is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well I haven't seen anything that dramatic happen before and I don't know how we would determine that it is the result of prayer and not just a coincidence. It would also make me wonder about all of the other people who pray and see no effect.

But to move beyond that example prayer alone even if it were proven to be effective. I don't think would convince me of an all knowing God just yet. It would only tell me that prayer produces results but it wouldn't tell me why. As it stands I know of no study that shows the efficacy of prayer. So it is kind of a moot point until it can be shown to be effective. Hopefully that answers the question.

I mean it happened to me as I described, and if it happened to you,
what would an Atheist call such an event? Obviously I can't call it
chance, becasue that's not what happened.

You don't just pray for a disabled person and have the answers fall from sky.
Not normally.
If you did, then you'd be very powerful, and people would
come from miles around just to touch you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
I don't know if I can answer that directly. I can mention some of the people who helped me form my worldview on these matters. When it comes to these philosophical questions I like to listen to people like Michael Shermer, Matt Dillahunty, Eugenie Scott and yes Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins. That isn't to say I agree with them on everything but generally I'm in their corner so to speak. Of course there are others I admire but that is all I can think of off the top of my head.
What is your philosophical foundation for your ethics?

Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

You don't just pray for a disabled person and have the answers fall from sky.
Not normally.
If you did, then you'd be very powerful, and people would
come from miles around just to touch you.

There is a small probability all of those things happening to you as you described by chance but there is a much smaller probability that those things happened by divine intervention. We have no way to test which one it was, so to me it is more reasonable to blame it on chance. Again there are a lot of people who pray that don't have there prayers answered.

I personally don't believe in miracles, I think when something improbable happens to me that it is most likely just a random chance occurrence.

Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
1. Are the Jews God's chosen people?

2. Is Israel the Promised Land?

I don't believe there is a God to do the choosing. But if this is leading to a question on Israel and Palestine than that's all I can say because I don't know nearly enough about the circumstances and history to give n opinion on that.

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

So then what do you say about experiences like this that support other religions? What about when a Muslim prays to Allah for a miracle and a miracle happens?

Or Hindu to Vishnu?

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't believe there is a God to do the choosing. But if this is leading to a question on Israel and Palestine than that's all I can say because I don't know nearly enough about the circumstances and history to give n opinion on that.
They're pretty straightforward yes-or-no questions.

Here are some more I like to put atheists on the spot with:

1. Was Jesus born of a virgin?

2. If so, should we view Him as a glorified ape Who died on the Cross to redeem us?

3. Are we mutant copy-errors claiming to be made in the image & likeness of God?

4. Were the OT Jews appropriately considered: ignorant, Bronze Age, desert-dwelling nomads?

Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So then what do you say about experiences like this that support other religions? What about when a Muslim prays to Allah for a miracle and a miracle happens?

Or Hindu to Vishnu?

I have never seen anything to show a corresponding relationship with prayer and a desired outcome. Anecdotal evidence isn't enough for me.

Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
They're pretty straightforward yes-or-no questions.

Here are some more I like to put atheists on the spot with:

1. Was Jesus born of a virgin?

2. If so, should we view Him as a glorified ape Who died on the Cross to redeem us?

3. Are we mutant copy-errors claiming to be made in the image & likeness of God?

4. Were the OT Jews appropriately considered: ignorant, Bronze Age, desert-dwelling nomads?

I'll accept the historical veracity of his existence for this point.

1. No, I don't believe he was born of a virgin.

2. No.

3. I wouldn't use the term mutant copy-errors. Based on my understanding most change is due to natural variations in offspring. There's a lot more to it but in short I accept that the theory of evolution is true.

4. Largely yes. Compared to us they are ignorant as they had less knowledge but they weren't dumb.

Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why should I not pursue my own interests at the expense of others?

Empathy. I believe empathy is a natural consequence of having evolved to be a social animal. If we didn't have empathy there would have been nothing to prevent us from killing each other to extinction. And I don't see empathy as being unique to humans, it can be observed in many animal populations.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.