As most US "allies" abstain, UN votes to reject Trump's recognition of Jerusalem as capital

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Did it have to? Is America that selfish?

Donald is. He's made "America First" his stated political philosophy, and the people (almost a majority, in fact) elected him because of it.

Of course, now that he's elected, I suppose he doesn't need to care about that anymore.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Donald is. He's made "America First" his stated political philosophy, and the people (almost a majority, in fact) elected him because of it.

Of course, now that he's elected, I suppose he doesn't need to care about that anymore.

And yet, it was you who wanted to know how recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital put America first. If it's not your main interest, then why persist in asking?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
And yet, it was you who wanted to know how recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital put America first. If it's not your main interest, then why persist in asking?

Who said it's not? I think America's interests should come first... (I just don't believe Donald's the right candidate to do that).

So I ask again: How does this help us?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It may have. Recognizing the capital of our strongest ally in the middle east when their enemies won't may be a way of showing solidarity with them.

After 40+ years of acting as mediator for their peace talks... the referee of the football game probably shouldn't be wearing the home team's jersey... just sayin'

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,404.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I didn't make a sweeping claim like "The UK is a very racist place", did I? Nor would I ever attempt to make such a horrible condemnation on a nation that is not mine. In fact the only thing that concerns me about foreign nations is how that nation reacts to mine. I don't say that because I'm myopic and self-centered. I say that because the rest is wholly none of my business, I don't live there, and so don't have an accurate picture.
if you were concerned of that, you would have a precise, fact based picture of what other nations think of the US and i have not seen that yet demonstrated

As I said back in post #481, "Recognizing the capital of our strongest ally in the middle east when their enemies won't may be a way of showing solidarity with them."
yes. That will, finally help clarify who the us supports in the region. I cant believe that after so long people have not yet figured it out.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
After 40+ years of acting as mediator for their peace talks... the referee of the football game probably shouldn't be wearing the home team's jersey... just sayin'

You can say all that if you want, but it still remains true that recognizing Israel's capital when their enemies won't is a way of showing solidarity with them. It's just a little puzzling how people can have a problem with this.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You can say all that if you want, but it still remains true that recognizing Israel's capital when their enemies won't is a way of showing solidarity with them. It's just a little puzzling how people can have a problem with this.

It's only puzzling because you've forgotten that solidarity isn't the goal; peace is.

Whoever can broker a peace deal between Israel and the Palestianians will score big points with the Jewish and Muslim communities... as well as pretty much most of the Middle East.

If the US is no longer interested in doing this, perhaps someone else will... and then the Jews, the Muslims, and pretty much most of the Middle East will be very favorable towards them instead...

"What does a president profit if he gains Israel but loses the rest of the continent?" Matthew 16:26 (Foreign Policy Translation)

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's only puzzling because you've forgotten that solidarity isn't the goal; peace is.

Whoever can broker a peace deal between Israel and the Palestianians will score big points with the Jewish and Muslim communities... as well as pretty much most of the Middle East.

If the US is no longer interested in doing this, perhaps someone else will... and then the Jews, the Muslims, and pretty much most of the Middle East will be very favorable towards them instead...

"What does a president profit if he gains Israel but loses the rest of the continent?" Matthew 16:26 (Foreign Policy Translation)

In 2005, Gaza was given over to the Palestinians in the name of peace. There comes a point where you have to figure out which side you're on when the rockets start flying and the enemies of Israel vow to eliminate Israel from existence.

Upvote 0

perplexed

Jun 22, 2005
✟101,055.00
Faith
Seeker
it still remains true that recognizing Israel's capital when their enemies won't is a way of showing solidarity with them. It's just a little puzzling how people can have a problem with this.

I am assume some people have a problem with it because they think that Israel illegally annexed East Jerusalem and Moving embassy is a way of saying there is nothing wrong with illegal annexation.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
In 2005, Gaza was given over to the Palestinians in the name of peace. There comes a point where you have to figure out which side you're on when the rockets start flying and the enemies of Israel vow to eliminate Israel from existence.

Well, if they weren't enemies, peace talks would be easy, now wouldn't they?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

Favourofone

Dec 28, 2017
Stockhol
✟18,322.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The U.S. will hold a reception for countries that did not vote last month to approve a United Nations (U.N.) resolution condemning the Trump administration's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital

“Among the nine countries to vote against the resolution were the U.S., Israel, Honduras, Guatemala and Palau, among others.”

So if Trump is attending he will wonder why there is only the Israeli PM and so many waiters, janitors and performers around without any diplomats whom to handshake.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, if they weren't enemies, peace talks would be easy, now wouldn't they?

If that's how you justify the Palestinians launching rocket attacks from their new territory into Israel, then it doesn't sound like a very good definition of "peace talk".

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If that's how you justify the Palestinians launching rocket attacks from their new territory into Israel, then it doesn't sound like a very good definition of "peace talk".

I get that when a man grows up on television, he expects all problem to be solved in 22 minutes, allowing time for commercials.

The real world is somewhat more complicated.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I get that when a man grows up on television, he expects all problem to be solved in 22 minutes, allowing time for commercials.

The real world is somewhat more complicated.

Then you believe firing rockets into Israel is part of peace talks? Interesting.

Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Then you believe firing rockets into Israel is part of peace talks? Interesting.

I'm sorry, are you attempting to be humorous?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
  • Winner
Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mod hat on
upload_2018-1-8_1-57-25.jpeg

This thread has gone thru a cleanup for flaming and goading posts.
Please do not post these kind of posts.
Carry on.

Upvote 0