XTE

Jun 27, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟3,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
We are lead by the Holy Spirit and trust the Spirit to guide us in interpreting the word and making sense of the messages we receive.

I raised the question in another thread but it wasn't getting a lot of action afterward.

The question is:

If we are all lead by the Holy Spirit as Christians, why do we get different answers such as YEC, OEC, ID, and TE?

What reasons would the Holy Spirit have for impressing us with these battling points of view?

I'd be interested in some scripture if ya got any as well as any suggestions you might have yourself.

Thank you and God Bless.

T

The Lady Kate

TEBeliever said:
We are lead by the Holy Spirit and trust the Spirit to guide us in interpreting the word and making sense of the messages we receive.

I raised the question in another thread but it wasn't getting a lot of action afterward.

The question is:

If we are all lead by the Holy Spirit as Christians, why do we get different answers such as YEC, OEC, ID, and TE?

What reasons would the Holy Spirit have for impressing us with these battling points of view?

I'd be interested in some scripture if ya got any as well as any suggestions you might have yourself.

Thank you and God Bless.

Because, quite frankly, it's very possible the Holy Spirit doesn't care.

The HS doesn't lead every aspect of our lives, just those that impact our relationship with God. I sincerely doubt the Holy Spirit is telling me whether to have eggs or cereal for breakfast, which pair of shoes to wear, or whether I'm in the mood to watch Casablanca or The Maltese Falcon. These things simply have no impact on my relationship with Christ.

Perhaps this means that YEC, OEC, ID, or TE have no effect on our relationship with Christ? Most Christians agree that it is not a salvation issue anyway, so why would the Holy Spirit get involved in the first place?

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Having the Holy Spirit does not imply that a person is not ignorant, misled, or even honestly mistaken. God works through the Church to guide people in sound doctrine. But with the Church factioned breaking apart further has become an acceptable alternative to understanding each other. As such, rather than resolving things (or at least coming to some mutual understanding) at ecumenical councils, nothing gets resolved and the Church breaks apart further.

I don't mean to be cynical. But I really do see the divided Church as its own greatest liability.

Upvote 0

Stinker

Senior Veteran
Sep 23, 2004
Overland Park, KS.
✟4,880.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God helps us to understand the scriptures. I always hear from senoir citizen Christians that we never reach a point in our life when we reach the end of all we are supposed to know concerning the Bible.

With the great discoveries that are being made in the Earth Sciences, I think we are being shown that we did not understand the Creation accounts in the Penteteuch the way they were meant to be understood by it's writers. This may explain why there is no natural explanation for the lack of transitional fossils in the fossil record.

If we can believe in Noah's Ark, we can believe in God using a gradual method in His creating.

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In my experience the Holy Spirit is that still, quiet voice that comes at me just from the periphery with very profound, earth-shattering, wind-knocking-out-of, gut-punch revelations, and then is gone before I completely comprehend that my whole life just changed (again) in a moment.

It is not a school marm that looks over my shoulder and slaps my fingers when I get a translation incorrect.

Upvote 0

jon914

May 8, 2006
Laredo, tx
✟7,918.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
billwald said:
Agree that the HS probably doesn't care.

What you are saying is that God does not care. The Holy Spirit is God and He cares about everything. The reason that there are so many different christians is, because some can not here the Holy spirit when they are listening to self.
Many Christian think that when they are saved they get some package that gives them all the answers. If you want to hear the Holy spirit speaking to you; you had better be on your knees to hear.

John914

Upvote 0

RightWingGirl

May 12, 2004
America
✟8,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That is a very good question. Only one of the theories is correct, and God will, and can, only tell the truth.

I have a question, if anyone would be willing to answer it: The Holy Spirit can speak to us personally, or through the Bible.
We cannot verify anything that is supposed to have been said by the Spirit to anyone else. But we can all know and see what the Spirit says through the word of God. "Ehp 6:17...The sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.."

Can anyone find me one verse in the Bible that supports millions of years or TE?

Upvote 0

RightWingGirl

May 12, 2004
America
✟8,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Another question. (sorry!)

I think I asked Chaos this question before, but I don't remember the answer.
I think almost anyone would belive in a literal six-day creation if a huge hand came down from the sky and a voice said "I created the world in six days!" --if you positively knew that God said that--correct?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
RightWingGirl said:

I think almost anyone would belive in a literal six-day creation if a huge hand came down from the sky and a voice said "I created the world in six days!" --if you positively knew that God said that--correct?

Actually, that was my question to you. Besides asking you specifically in some thread we were engaged in, I also had two threads that asked parallel questions to those who accept evolutionary theory and to those who support creationism (in the modern and common usage of the word).

Upvote 0

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hmm...

I've spent a lot of time pondering the still small voice of the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit's influence in my life has not been a clear, resounding beacon of truth that cuts away all of life's mysteries. I suspect if he worked this way, we would not have as many different Christian religions as we do.

We cannot forget that we are imperfect, and our hearing and understanding of the Holy Spirit will not be imperfect. Otherwise, would Christians even make mistakes at all?

I thought the Holy Spirit's main function was to show us about Christ's gift and God's love, and He has brought me to that.

There were times when I was taught "if you're walking closely enough with God, His voice through the Holy Spirit will be clear."

I don't think so.
I also don't think the Holy Spirit is a mystical genie tapping me on the shoulder to correct my every possible wrong move and I am just not listening hard enough.

I seriously don't think He works in these ways. And I am sure I do not know just exactly how He does work. But I feel His pressance, especially every now and then.

Upvote 0

Pats

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
RightWingGirl said:

Unless there were other whitnesses, or God impressed upon me in an undeniable manner, I'd question any newly revealed personal prophecy wether the prophet be myself or some one else.

Upvote 0

RightWingGirl

May 12, 2004
America
✟8,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Pats said:
Unless there were other whitnesses, or God impressed upon me in an undeniable manner, I'd question any newly revealed personal prophecy wether the prophet be myself or some one else.

What if you knew conclusively that it was God?

Upvote 0

Pats

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, RWG, off the cuff, I have to say that of course, if I did know for certain it was God, I would not object to Him in anyway.

However, the likeliehood of God sending such "special revelation" to us in this age and before Christ's return is nearly 100% not likely.

I'll have to get back to this thread next time I get to visit. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship

One might as well ask why one Holy Spirit would have allowed so many translations of the Bible in one language.

I think it's because the tremendous unity in diversity Christians display is a powerful witness to the message of Christ:

I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.John 17:22, 23 (NIV)

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
RightWingGirl said:

Ethics said:
Intelligence, discernment, attentive observation of the given facts, all these come in lively operation. Direct inspiration must in no case be heeded or expected, for this could all to easily lead to man's abandoning himself to self- deception. In view of what is at stake there must be lofty spirit of sober self-control. Possibilities and consequences must be carefully assessed. In other words, the whole apparatus of human powers must be set in motion when it is a matter of proving what is the will of God.

I agree, and I suspect it's the same with doctrine as it is with ethics.

Reactions: artybloke
Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Well, contrary to what others have said I believe that the Holy Spirit does care what we think about origins, because God cares for us in a holistic manner. He doesnt just care about what we do in church or school, he cares about everything. The hairs on our head are numbered, that's how much he cares.

As to the question regarding a big giant hand appearing in the sky, this is not the kind of God we have. He could have revealed himself to mankind like Allah supposedly revealed himself to Mohammed, but he did not. He chose to inspire authors through the Holy Spirit so we have scriptural doctrine undoubtedly flavoured with the personality of the individual writers.

As to why the Holy Spirit would apparently lead us in different directions, I think the Bonhoffer quote is an very good explanation. In any case, unity does not mean uniformity, or conformity, across the board.

Upvote 0

vossler

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2004
Asheville NC
✟19,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
theFijian said:
Well, contrary to what others have said I believe that the Holy Spirit does care what we think about origins, because God cares for us in a holistic manner. He doesnt just care about what we do in church or school, he cares about everything. The hairs on our head are numbered, that's how much he cares.

As to the question regarding a big giant hand appearing in the sky, this is not the kind of God we have. He could have revealed himself to mankind like Allah supposedly revealed himself to Mohammed, but he did not. He chose to inspire authors through the Holy Spirit so we have scriptural doctrine undoubtedly flavoured with the personality of the individual writers.

As to why the Holy Spirit would apparently lead us in different directions, I think the Bonhoffer quote is an very good explanation. In any case, unity does not mean uniformity, or conformity, across the board.
You and I seemingly are at opposite ends of most discussions, but I can honestly say I agree 100% with this post and found it quite refreshing to read, especially that first paragraph. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Reactions: Pats
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.