As a progressive do you view yourself as Seventh-day ADventist at all?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I am not a moderate Adventist and I do not know what that means. I'm a progressive adventist, which means I have progressed past the point of even desiring the label.

When you say "the Label" I assume you mean you don't want to be called a "Seventh-day Adventist".

You might be interested in Seventh-day Baptists

=======================================

At one time I would have called myself moderate -- but the progressives and perhaps a few moderates have been trying to convince me that one cannot be SDA and be moderate.

What are your views?

Oh Hooey

Nov 9, 2018
Crooked River Ranch, Oregon
✟8,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
When you say "the Label" I assume you mean you don't want to be called a "Seventh-day Adventist".

You might be interested in Seventh-day Baptists

=======================================

At one time I would have called myself moderate -- but the progressives and perhaps a few moderates have been trying to convince me that one cannot be SDA and be moderate.

What are your views?
Seventh-day Church of God is kind of cool also if you are looking elsewhere. We have one in our community - just a few blocks away from the SDA church and we do ministry for the community together.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Seventh-day Church of God is kind of cool also if you are looking elsewhere. We have one in our community - just a few blocks away from the SDA church and we do ministry for the community together.

Ok so help me out here - what are the various Church of God groups that keep the Sabbath and how do they differ?
"Seventh-day Church of God"
"Church of God Seventh-day"
... and then there is another one that also keeps Sabbath or used to keep Sabbath until about 15 years ago?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
When debating about whether to come back to God or not and then what church to join---I briefly thought about Church of God. At the time, the founder was still alive--just barely, he died soon after and the church split into 2 camps, Sunday keepers and Sabbath keepers. But At the time, they were just one--however, I could not accept their concept that the Holy Spirit is a force and not an entity of itself. I was given their book and I just couldn't go with it. I don't remember what other differences there were. I came back to SDA because I could not find any other denomination that thought what I thought the bible said. I searched them all. So I came back. It was not an easy decision. Other churches offer more "freedom"--for want of better terminology. Most people pick a church by which one fits into their lifestyle. I wanted a church that fit into God's lifestyle. One co-worker said she wanted a church that she could go to that would let her view inappropriate content and go dancing and stuff without making you feel guilty!! I had not wanted God in my life until then and if I was going to go with Him, I wanted a church that followed what the bible said, not what the world wanted.

Upvote 0

Oh Hooey

Nov 9, 2018
✟8,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Ok so help me out here - what are the various Church of God groups that keep the Sabbath and how do they differ?
"Seventh-day Church of God"
"Church of God Seventh-day"
... and then there is another one that also keeps Sabbath or used to keep Sabbath until about 15 years ago?
I can only speak for CoG7 as I get their church magazine each month and have met the editor. The one you mention - I am not familiar with.
CoG7 believes very similar to SDAs except for not accepting EGW.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think that used to be the WorldWide Church of God, a personality based cult group led by the Armstrongs, Herbert W and his son Garner Ted.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I think that used to be the WorldWide Church of God, a personality based cult group led by the Armstrongs, Herbert W and his son Garner Ted.

Yes, that I the one was talking about. Ted went on to change to Sunday, the original ones left him and kept to Saturday and are now, I think, Church of God.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
When debating about whether to come back to God or not and then what church to join---I briefly thought about Church of God. At the time, the founder was still alive--just barely, he died soon after and the church split into 2 camps, Sunday keepers and Sabbath keepers. But At the time, they were just one--however, I could not accept their concept that the Holy Spirit is a force and not an entity of itself. I was given their book and I just couldn't go with it. I don't remember what other differences there were. I came back to SDA because I could not find any other denomination that thought what I thought the bible said. I searched them all. So I came back. It was not an easy decision. Other churches offer more "freedom"--for want of better terminology. Most people pick a church by which one fits into their lifestyle. I wanted a church that fit into God's lifestyle. One co-worker said she wanted a church that she could go to that would let her view inappropriate content and go dancing and stuff without making you feel guilty!! I had not wanted God in my life until then and if I was going to go with Him, I wanted a church that followed what the bible said, not what the world wanted.

In other words, you actually wanted to be a follower of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Oh Hooey

Nov 9, 2018
✟8,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that I the one was talking about. Ted went on to change to Sunday, the original ones left him and kept to Saturday and are now, I think, Church of God.
I was not aware that the Church of God kept Saturday. Can you confirm that?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I was not aware that the Church of God kept Saturday. Can you confirm that?

You can look up the church -- just google it. They had split a few years back--one group went with Sunday, the others went with Saturday. I know that the Saturday group was still very active and where on the air on one of those religious stations and they were talking about keeping the Sabbath.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oh Hooey

Nov 9, 2018
✟8,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You can look up the church -- just google it. They had split a few years back--one group went with Sunday, the others went with Saturday. I know that the Saturday group was still very active and where on the air on one of those religious stations and they were talking about keeping the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I know that the Church of God Seventh Day (CoG7) keeps the Sabbath. We have one locally. But as far as I know - the Church of God does not.

Ok---I had to go and look things up---it's been over 30 years. It was called the World wide church of God, founded by H.W. Armstrong. apparently there are many with the name church of God in their title, as well as just Church of God. Sorry for the confusion.

Upvote 0

Oh Hooey

Nov 9, 2018
✟8,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Ok---I had to go and look things up---it's been over 30 years. It was called the World wide church of God, founded by H.W. Armstrong. apparently there are many with the name church of God in their title, as well as just Church of God. Sorry for the confusion.
So then you're referring to the Church of God Seventh-day?
If so - our local Adventist Church works with them in community service ministry.
They are a great group of people.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
So then you're referring to the Church of God Seventh-day?
If so - our local Adventist Church works with them in community service ministry.
They are a great group of people.

The Armstrong group was the one that I had come in contact with and had to choose between a very good looking guy and what he believed in. He gave me a book, I read it but though out of my church at the time, I could not believe in some things so that ended. It was shortly after that that the church split in 2 when Armstrong died. The one I saw on TV I assumed was the one that kept the 7th day, unless that is another one. I had no idea there were so many different ones with the name church of God in their name somehow. I had 2 different sets of church of God people come to my door---one was peddling some sort of the bride of Jesus is not the church but an actual heavenly mother, I thought they were Mormon at first, After they left I looked them up---based from some Korean guy. The other I think was actually JW, but they looked like they didn't want to say what denomination they were----red flag there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I know that the Church of God Seventh Day (CoG7) keeps the Sabbath. We have one locally. But as far as I know - the Church of God does not.

I think there is also a "Seventh-day Church of God"

But the "Church of God" does not keep the 4th Commandment as you point out.

Upvote 0