USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
According to "the Orthodox Church" by Kallistos Ware, it is possible to fall into idolatry of the bread.
"According to Orthodox theology, the act of consecration is not complete until the end of the Epiclesis, and worship of the Holy Gifts before this point is condemned by the Orthodox Church as ‘artolatry’ (bread worship)"

So do we worship the Consecrated Gifts with "Latria"? Doing it before the consecration is bad merely because it's just bread and wine?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, so that's why on certain days besides Sunday, we bow down when the Gifts are presented to the people?

if you mean Presanctified, then yes because the Gifts are consecrated the Sunday prior.

• Prayers
Reactions: buzuxi02
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm at a loss. We don't have devotions to the gifts, I know latins have some kind of service to them.
But who would worship the bread beforehand? Obviously baking of prosphora should be done in a respectful manner but idolizing it?
They call it Eucharistic Adoration. I never went to a service when I was Roman Catholic, but my understanding was that because the bread and wine are the Body and Blood of Christ it is therefore like worshiping Christ Himself.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
They call it Eucharistic Adoration. I never went to a service when I was Roman Catholic, but my understanding was that because the bread and wine are the Body and Blood of Christ it is therefore like worshiping Christ Himself.

to be fair, Eucharistic adoration is not done before the consecration.

and we do Eucharistic adoration as well, it's just that it IS the consumption of the Eucharist.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When I was Lutheran and studying the Reformation, the issue of Eucharistic Adoration and specifically the Corpus Christi festivals was that the bread and wine were consecrated but not for consumption, e.g. "Take and eat", but simply for adoration.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I participated in Eucharistic Adoration many many times. At my old parish the Host would be preserved in a monstrance behind glass in a tiny chapel and you could go in there and worship it 24/7. There was a lock with a code to get in. You had to receive the code by a priest trusting you to go to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: E.C.
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums