Artificial insemination! I want to experience pregnancy.

Timahani

Jan 6, 2012
United States-Arizona
✟43,111.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hello Christian family,

I know that Adoption or Foster Care is an option for single individuals who wants kids. So , if I NEVER find a suitable mate, but want to experience motherhood/pregnancy; is artificial insemination via a doctor an option for Christian women?

No sex involved, just a medical procedure.

Its scary because I don't know anyone in my cultural community who has done this....but I don't know how I feel about this. I am kind of in the middle on the issue.

Thanks!

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The baby deserves a father, a full family..not half of one.

Think of the child. Also there's adoption if you really want kids

Upvote 0

Timahani

Jan 6, 2012
United States-Arizona
✟43,111.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I was a single foster mother and it worked out great.

I was also raised by a single grandmother. She was well off and raised and educated me well.

I never had a father figure in my life, but I feel like I was okay. I am educated, went to private school, love the Lord......hmm, I don't know.

But you have a valid point. But is artificial insemination okay in our religion?

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say.... The two valid means of having or caring for children would be to conceive naturally with your husband, or to adopt a child. I can't quite lay down doctrine, but artificial insemination feels inappropriate, somehow. God created our Adam to be a man and our head, and Christian friend; not a fluid in a can or a tube.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello Christian family,

I know that Adoption or Foster Care is an option for single individuals who wants kids. So , if I NEVER find a suitable mate, but want to experience motherhood/pregnancy; is artificial insemination via a doctor an option for Christian women?

Its scary because I don't know anyone in my cultural community who has done this....but I don't know how I feel about this. I am kind of in the middle on the issue.

Thanks!

My advice . . . only have a baby with a partner in your life. Sure, its possible to raise a baby as a single parent, but if there are two of you, its safer for the baby . . . for example, suppose something happens to one of the parents.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Timahani, is this something that you know that God wants for you? I ask, because just like the other members who've posted here, I think going this route may be going a little too far off the Christian "reservation", unless you KNOW that it's God will for your life, and for your baby's, of course.

If it was me, I would completely surrender all of this God, and let Him know that you are willing to wait for His best for you (whatever that may be, even if that means He never gives you a child of your own). I can't completely relate, of course, being a guy, but I did do something similar about 29 years ago by surrendering to God my great desire at the time .. for a wife. I told Him that I would trust Him and be happy with Him (and whatever choices He made for me), even if that meant I would never get married. Two months later, I met my wife, and about 14 months after that, I married her (and we are still married today :)).

You trusted Him with your life when you became a Christian, why not trust Him to know what's truly best for you with this too :amen:

Yours in Christ,
David
p.s. - I'm going to leave you with a verse, a command with a promise actually, but please, be extremely careful to understand what it's really saying, and how God intends the commandment half to be fulfilled by you. If you don't, you may end up treating the Lord like a cosmic "Sugar-Daddy", which this verse does not intend. Just to be clear, v4 never says, nor does it ever mean, "delight the Lord and He'll give you what you want" :rolleyes:).

"Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will
give you the desires of your heart"

Psalm 37:4

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Timahani, artificial insemination is a tough choice if you are Pro-Life, at least it always used to be. Your doctor will harvest and impregnate far more than a single ovum, so in the end, whether you become pregnant or not, your doctor will either 1) leave the remaining, unused but fertilized ova in a frozen storage unit or 2) dispose of them (which will happen eventually, even to the frozen ones).
That more accurately describes in vitro fertilization than artificial insemination.

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Christian family,

Thanks!

Are you asking God to send you a husband? That is God's design, that one man and one woman become one flesh, and if it is God's will, He will grant you a child.

If you use IVF while being single, you are purposefully denying the child a father and that is child abuse. It is also showing a lack of trust in God and His plan and purpose for your life.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Think about yourself being born via the method you want to have this child. You would have no father...little chance of knowing your true father. You would have to explain why you dont have a father to other children when you cant attend a father daughter dance. When you get married...not biological father to walk you down the isle. the list goes on and on. If you feel that you would be totally comfortable living through this, and/or making someone else live through it.....you should proceed with a clear conscious. Doesn't really matter what others think....If you are ok with this, in your heart.....It is ok for you to do.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,603.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Paternity matters in our faith, the Father's blessing. A link is created between your families. There is going to be our time in Heaven, and this man will have had a wife and many children from many mothers. To produce seed involves the sin of masturbation. Children grow up to earnestly seek their fathers.

I think seed leaves a plot or history in your body as in 1 Corinthians 3.

If you ask God, He will give you a husband. You may need to connect with a few good young and older couples to appreciate the culture you missed as a girl growing up.

This site is good, www.fusion101.com and other such sites exist for a fee. Including Pentecostal match, and you can marry a local or foreign man, any colour, just make sure you know what you are doing if you go overseas. You need a prolonged engagement or courtship.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

turkle

Blessed
Jan 25, 2004
✟226,707.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So , if I NEVER find a suitable mate, but want to experience motherhood/pregnancy; is artificial insemination via a doctor an option for Christian women?
I am very concerned about this statement, because it is about your desire for the motherhood and pregnancy experience, and mentions nothing about the child that you are suggesting bringing into this world.

God made us to have children as a couple and as a family. There are lots of reasons for the wisdom in this. Every child needs a father and a mother to have the best opportunity to grow into a mentally, physically and spiritually healthy adult.

I understand the argument that there are plenty of people who grow into well adjusted people with just one parent. I'm one of them. However, I believe it is very selfish to intentionally put a child into that position just because the mother wants to know what it's like to be pregnant and a mother. If you are really concerned first about the well being of a child, as every parent is called to be, then I would absolutely advise against this option. God designed men and women as we are to create the next generation. I believe that if He wants you to be a mother, then he will bring you the right person to be a father. Otherwise, you are circumventing what He created you to be.

Please give this very careful thought, and think only about the child. Any good parent wants the absolute best for their child, and sacrifices for that child. To do otherwise is self centered and harmful to a child.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello Christian family,

Thanks!
Well..i dont know anyone whos done this who are christians the only people ive known who had IVF were couples and then their testtube baby changed gender from girl to boy! Otherwise its for Gay and lesbian 'couples' who cant or dont want to reproduce naturally.

OR cattle on a farm. This is how meat and dairy is produced.

Only Mary had an immaculate conception as it is called but even she was married to Joseph afterward. And Mary wasnt even well off she and Joseph were actually quite poor. However God chose her as a vessel. She still had children and knew Joseph afterward. Jesus grew up with an earthly dad and he was present at his birth!

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What I would suggest is you go to a birthing hospital and talk to midwives and maybe even ask if you can see a live birth if you that curious. Theres also a book you can read called Mothering Heights by Keitha Smith about being a mother. She writes about being a mother from a christian perspective...sometimes you might have expectations but chikdren dont always turn out how you might expect. I think many people arent aware how things like autism and other afflictions are so common amngst children these days due to the world we live in where everything has become so unnatural and artificual..all these chemicals are affecting babies..disrupting normal hormone processes etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think you should just do whatever feels good and whatever you want. And definitely look to the Kardashians as examples of healthy and moral family structures...

It's your life and your body...

• Haha
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello Christian family,

It is an option...but is something you should actually do?

Well now... the sperm comes from a man who has masturbated-- to make the sperm donation.
And masturbating is a sex act that usually include inappropriate content, lust etc.

Thanks!
This reminds me of The Backup Plan.
You can Google and find out about the movie if you haven't heard of it.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was a single foster mother and it worked out great.
When was this and for how long?

I was also raised by a single grandmother. She was well off and raised and educated me well.
You leaving something toxic stuff out aren't you?

I never had a father figure in my life, but I feel like I was okay. I am educated, went to private school, love the Lord......hmm, I don't know.

But you have a valid point. But is artificial insemination okay in our religion?
Your other threads relating to family....like you an the grandmother raising your much younger brother and you fostering a cousin? there be a history of sexual abuse, physical/ verbal abuse, lots of manipulation by your family and you've suffered greatly due to being raised in this environment.

Are they working they craftiness on you so you will be convinced to have a baby
without a father and they can keep on with the emotional abuse, manipulations etc?
Or is there something else going on here?
I've re-read your older threads and found myself in tears I've gone back to the
threads from 2012...they are full of your pain and sufferings done to you by
family members.

Timahani are you indeed ready to go through with artificial insemination with
all you have been through since you been sorely abused by your family and even
extended family members?

Dear lady are you able to afford the procedure? are you
certain as you can be that you are ready to take on this?
Who would be helping you with child care?
Who would serve as family for this child?

Your own parents, grandparents, cousins, aunts etc haven't been the type you could trust when you were growing up and it would be extremely unwise to bring a child into the picture based on your own accounts of abuse, trauma etc.

You need people in your life you can trust and can serve as family if your own
relatives can't be trusted not to abuse, use, abandon etc.
Please don't subject a baby to what you have experienced at the
hands of your own family.

Your previous accounts of events with your family/relatives things
with them have been very unsafe and very toxic...you've given them many
chances and up until about a year ago they were still manipulating and abusing you....this is in your thread: I've lost everything...are you really so much improved?
Something seems off to me...all things considered...oh, dear lady you've
have suffered so much in your life...please don't pretend things be good
if they really ain't.

I've Lost Everything (time sensitive thread) in desperate need for advice!!

My grandma ripped my heart out...

• Useful
Reactions: Timahani
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hello Christian family,

Thanks!
I think its a great option for you. This will allow you to have a fulfilled life, be a loving mother, and especially so if you dont wish to have a guy featuring in your life which I can fully appreciate.

Upvote 0

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I get it. Having been pregnant, there is something special about experiencing it. Related to that, I wonder if adopting a fertilized egg is an option. I know that with in vitro, couples often end up with more fertilized eggs than they need. I wonder what becomes of the ones not used. Are they destroyed? Are they kept indefinitely? Are they offered up for adoption? If it's the latter, that might be away to offer a child a home it wouldn't have had otherwise, and experience pregnancy at the same time.

As for being a single parent, I see a lot of judgemental people on this thread. If someone feels led to offer a child a loving home and parental involvement, I don't think it should be left up to other people to decide how that must look like. That's between you and God and I've known some very godly women who have deliberately taken on single motherhood at God's leading. I think an orphan child would prefer to have 1 parent than 0 parents.

But that kind of brings up another point. Let's face it, there are lots of children in this world already that don't have homes, and not enough people pursuing them. I know that unwanted fertilized eggs are orphans, but it's not experiencing what an already born 2 year old in an orphanage is experiencing. There are also tons of kids in foster care waiting to be adopted that are hard to adopt because of the issues they tend to come with. In short, there are lots of kids needing homes, not just ones not yet born.

In the end, though, it sounds to me that you have a desire, but maybe you haven't necessarily thought it through. And that maybe you need to think about are you truly in the right place to become a parent. Becoming a parent is a permanent decision. You can't change your mind later. And it's really not about wanting to feel fulfilled in life by being a parent, or thinking that becoming a parent will fix all your hurts. It is about nurturing a child into adulthood and a loving relationship with God. It's other focused. Not trying to fill a self need. So if you're wanting a child because you feel God's leading you raise a child up in the Lord, then great. But if you're wanting a child so that you yourself can feel fulfilled or healed, then maybe you might want to pray about this some more. Parenting isn't easy, and if you're focused on what you need from a child, instead of what the child will need from you, you're not in the right place to become a parent.

Upvote 0