Arrested for reading the Bible?

VCViking

Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...
Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Taking Liberties: Arrested For Reading The Bible? | Fox News

What!?

The officer who made the arrest disagrees, claiming he arrested Mackey for preaching to a public audience who had no choice but to listen.
“You’re not allowed to preach here," he told Mackey, “because this is a captive audience.”

...in the end, Mackey has simply been charged with trespassing.

As a cop, Translation: "Oops, we don't have anything to charge him with so go with trespassing." Guaranteed if there was no video, Resisting Arrest, Dis Con and Obstruction of Government Authority would of been added.

3rdHeaven

Truth Seeker
Nov 23, 2011
✟1,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting. I would have respect them more if they stuck with the original captive audience clause instead of changing the charge to trespassing which clearly was not the case as he was not blocking any entrance and was on public property. The captive audience clause on the other hand makes more sense as the people standing there waiting for the DMV to open were indeed forced to listen to him. That charge could have stuck I think. Nobody likes to be in a situation that they would rather not be in. I think all the officer had to do was tell him to move along and if he did not, then an arrest would have fit better. I agree the officer was probably over reacting. Probably why they changed the charge to the laughable trespassing one.

Upvote 0

Cactus Jack

Jul 12, 2011
somewhere
✟17,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I get a kick out of it because it was pointed out that they did it on a weekend. Weekend = no one = office is closed = no crime committed. Well, except for that of false arrest, kidnapping, and the like....

ETA: if I was there I'd help this guy. I'd stand outside DMV on a weekend, like he did, and read a repair manual. Or maybe a children's story book. Why? Why not! Hey, let's see if they are man enough to arrest someone for that!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2009
✟17,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Taking Liberties: Arrested For Reading The Bible? | Fox News

What!?

As a cop, Translation: "Oops, we don't have anything to charge him with so go with trespassing." Guaranteed if there was no video, Resisting Arrest, Dis Con and Obstruction of Government Authority would of been added.
I swear the following is true. When I lived in Glendale, California, I was met by a man standing outside the DMV selling marijuana on government property. He had a clear bag (3 gallon or so) of weed and was asking everyone entering the DMV if they wanted to buy some. I should add that I did not buy any and the man was gone after I finished in the DMV. The year was 1977.

Upvote 0

VCViking

Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
ETA: if I was there I'd help this guy. I'd stand outside DMV on a weekend, like he did, and read a repair manual. Or maybe a children's story book. Why? Why not! Hey, let's see if they are man enough to arrest someone for that!

As a cop, this is funny.

Upvote 0

3rdHeaven

Truth Seeker
Nov 23, 2011
✟1,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where are you guys getting it was on a weekend?

The story said,

Mackey says to the crowd, who were standing outside waiting for the DMV to open.

All the story says was that it was not open yet ans people were waiting for it to open.

Published March 29, 2012 which is Friday.

So if the people were there waiting for the DMV to open as the story indicates, captive audience clause would have applied because the people would otherwise have to get out of line and leave thereby disrupting their plans, or stay captive to his speech.

I'm just not getting where any one got it was on a weekend?

I sure hope we read scriptures better then news stories!

Upvote 0

VCViking

Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So if the people were there waiting for the DMV to open as the story indicates, captive audience clause would have applied because the people would otherwise have to get out of line and leave thereby disrupting their plans, or stay captive to his speech.

But according to the story, it didn't apply. If it did apply, they would of charged him with that but it appears they didn't. They charged him with trespassing only, form what the story says.

I sure hope we read scriptures better then news stories!

Apparently...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

3rdHeaven

Truth Seeker
Nov 23, 2011
✟1,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will admit that is where the story gets goofy. They had an apparently reasonable clause to charge against but instead changed it to the laughable trespassing one. My guess is because it carries the least amount of fine.

But as I said, he should not have been arrested and instead simply instructed to move along. If he refused that would have justified an actual arrest.

Upvote 0

Cactus Jack

Jul 12, 2011
somewhere
✟17,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As a cop, this is funny.
Think about the logic behind it?
Man gets arrested for reading verses from the bible.
If he is accompanied by a man that is reading verses from a Dr. Seuss book or a Chiltons manual, would that man get arrested as well? If so, both have a freedom of speech and deprivation of civil rights under the color of law action they can take.
If the pastor alone is arrested, now it's freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and deprivation of civil rights under the color of law action.

Upvote 0

3rdHeaven

Truth Seeker
Nov 23, 2011
✟1,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If we as Christians who love God and would not mind hearing some one read the Bible, under what conditions would we be held as forced captive?

How about if we did not agree with what the person was saying? How about if after he read a verse then continued to interpret it in a way we disagreed with?

Here we are waiting in line for the DMV to open, would it be fair for us even as Christians to have to listen to a man preaching to us if he was say..

A Mormon, A JW? How about if he happen to be a Atheist?

The point here is to better understand this forced captive audience issue which does need to be respected and appreciated by every one, including Evangelist's too!

We can not let our personal beliefs and opinions cloud our judgement on civil liberties and legal matters.

One can Evangelize all they want freely and legal hundreds of ways. But to find a audience trapped and forced to listen is not even really a godly way!

Upvote 0

theophilus40

Nov 6, 2012
✟8,807.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Did any of the people who heard him complain to the police? The story doesn't say anything about that. If someone did complain there would have been a justification for the police to intervene but even then they should have told him about the compaint and asked him to stop rather than arresting him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SearchingStudent

Apr 29, 2012
✟16,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even as a Christian, I would be seriously put out if someone was preaching to me as I was waiting in line for the DMV. He was being a nuisance. I see the street preachers all the time and I will purposely go in another direction. Why should the people in line at the DMV be forced to listen to this guy preach? Here's the thing about "freedom" that most folks miss. Your freedom ends where mine begins. Now, being the confrontational sort I am, I'd probably either attempt to engage him in debate or just straight up tell him to shut up.

His rights weren't infringed upon, the rights of the people in line for the DMV were.

Upvote 0

cubanito

Nov 16, 2005
Southeast Florida, US (Coral Gables near Miami)
✟4,071.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree the police had the right to arrest him. We should obey authorities so long as they do not clearly go against the mandates of God. While preaching the Gospel is often disruptive, and in the NT more than one riot broke out over it, it was not because a captive audience was forced, but because the consequences of the Gospel interfered with the pagan culture or caused the hypocrisy of Judaism to be displayed.

When I first became a Christian at 17, my parents forbade me to read the Bible, hang out with Christian friends or go to Church. I read my Bible in secret, and began to complain to God for putting me in the difficult situation I was in. At 3AM as I poured out my bitter complaint to God, I felt an enormous peace, I knew god was going to fix it. A few hours later my father, a physician, awoke to notice his toes were paralized. An ascending paralasys that now I know to be Gulillan-Barre-Landry syndrome affected him. Within a week I had to stop going to school because I was the only one strong enought to put him on the toilet as by now he could no longer move even his neck. To make a long story short, in those pre-CT scan days, his neurology friends told him he had a brain tumor, and my father came home to die. I laughed at him when he reminded me that without life insurance, our family would sink back into the homelessness from whence we had just began to rise. I told him he would not die, that this was a response to prayer, and that as soon as he relented and allowed me to be a Christian he would be completely healed. While he did not become a Christian, my father became a believer that there must be a God, and relented, allowing me to worship openly. 3 days later my father was walking of his own strength. He currently has NO symptoms of the disease.

I am a physician. I have never seen a recovery from Guillan as that of my father's. Even assuming there was no miracle, the providential timing of the onset and cure of the disease defies all reason. This was before the Guillan-Barre onset of the first flu vaccines, it was a sporadic case, and quite rare back in those days.

What does this have to do with that corner preacher?

More can be accomplished by the fervent prayers of His suffering people than by agressive in-your-face evangelism. I give the Gospel often to people, even patients on occasion. I am a fundamentalist, and I am not ashamed of telling my collegues that macro-evolution is a myth, that there was an Adam and a world-wide flood. However, I try to tell this Truth in LOVE, not in a manner that is basically harrasment.

I will NOT condemn the street preacher. God uses all manner of means to call the lost, as Jesus said "John came this way and I come in the other, so your problem is not the messenger, but the message. (very loose paraphrase). How do I know God did not call this guy to preach in that manner? However, when we disobey authority, wether called to do so by God or not, we must accept the consequences. As the 3 friends of Daniel said to Nebuchadnezzr "we do not know if God will deliver us or not from the furnace, but we will not worship anyone else."

God delivered me dramatically from the circumstances of my home, forcing my parents to allow me the freedom to be a Christian, but had He not, I would have had no right to have been rebellious against them.

JR

Upvote 0