• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Arizona Politician Charged With Human Trafficking

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by tulc, Oct 13, 2019.

1. tulc

tulc loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!

+14,033
    Christian
    Married
    Arizona Politician Charged With Human Trafficking
    tulc( :sigh: )

• Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+5,230
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Truly horrible. Hopefully, more enforcement of our immigration laws will catch more people like this.

3. AllDayFaith

AllDayFaith Member

+81
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I read about this a while ago, those people are truly depraved. How was he able to pull this off by himself? How come they haven't arrested everyone involved?

4. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,113
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    :mad:

5. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,113
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I'd have to see the treaty to be convinced that it says anything about adoptions, but I could be wrong.

6. Mountainmanbob

Mountainmanbob Goat Whisperer Supporter

+8,064
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  7. tulc

tulc loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!

+14,033
    Christian
    Married
    It apparently was called human trafficking because they were selling humans? :scratch:
    tulc(that would be his guess) :wave:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. HannahT

HannahT Newbie Supporter

+1,840
    Christian
    Married
    Yikes! I had read about stories of Chinese women coming to the USA to give birth so they could have dual citizenship - I guess it's a status thing there.

I have to wonder if he used the same loopholes they do for this scheme. The Chinese go back home, but I'm sure these women may not. It doesn't say in the article.

"Prosecutors say Petersen used associates to recruit pregnant women by offering many of them $10,000 each to give up their babies for adoption. Petersen would pay for the women to travel to the United States days or months before giving birth and live in a home that he owned until delivering the baby, according to the court records.

The expectant mothers were often crowded in the homes, with Marshallese women Petersen employed helping with translation, transportation, legal documents and applications for Medicaid benefits, prosecutors said."

You are speaking of families that could use that $10,000 for the benefit of their families, and they said in the article that they were not promised they could keep the baby. So, it looks like a transaction they came into with their eyes open....still YUCK! It's awful!

I read what the lawyer said about the initial payment to the women, but you have to wonder HOW he will spin to say that was part of the expenses of this process. The article does not say, but it may be part of the transportation costs, etc.