✟820,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
LINK

Prosecutors said the 20-year-old in custody on suspicion of shooting three people at the Westgate Entertainment District in Glendale came armed with 90 rounds, and intended to use them, “but for the gun jamming.”

At his initial appearance Thursday, prosecutors described Hernandez as a “self-professed incel,” short for involuntary celibate, who was “angry” at society and sought to target couples at Westgate. One prosecutor said Hernandez was “pretty open about the fact that he has a dark side, and his dark side was coming out.”

One victim, a 19-year-old male, remains in critical condition. In court, prosecutors said the victim suffered severe blood loss from a gunshot wound to the chest, causing long delays in doctors’ efforts to perform surgery.

Another shooting victim, a 16-year-old girl, was transported to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

A third victim, a 30-year-old woman, was treated at the scene.

A judge ordered Hernandez be held on a $1 million cash bond. He faces 16 felony charges related to the shooting.

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Incel attacks have not been uncommon in the last few years. When this fact has been pointed out, some people complain because I guess they don't want a light shed on this depraved community. But it is important that we address this culture and the toxic masculinity that birthed it. Its very existence is partially a reflection of our society, and in the least, the type of behavior considered acceptable in society (i.e., the attitudes and ideas expressed in incel circles).

Upvote 0

Mantishand

May 31, 2018
Murica
✟49,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Incel attacks have not been uncommon in the last few years. When this fact has been pointed out, some people complain because I guess they don't want a light shed on this depraved community. But it is important that we address this culture and the toxic masculinity that birthed it. Its very existence is partially a reflection of our society, and in the least, the type of behavior considered acceptable in society (i.e., the attitudes and ideas expressed in incel circles).
I think inappropriate content causes this. These young men watch inappropriate content and expect that they deserve sex and women etc. I don’t know what “toxic masculinity” is, sounds like liberal anti-man, feminist type stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don’t know what “toxic masculinity” is, sounds like liberal anti-man, feminist type stuff.
That may be part of the problem, because there seems to be resistance to even discussing the topic of toxic masculinity.

It's certainly not anti-man.....it's anti entitled men like these guys that self-identify as incels. I agree that inappropriate content is part of the problem.

If you're willing to invest about 15 minutes, this video (IMO) does a great job of summarizing what toxic masculinity is:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you're willing to invest about 15 minutes, this video (IMO) does a great job of summarizing what toxic masculinity is:

Since the two things he indicates define masculinity he then acknowledges define all of humanity, either he didn't actually define masculinity, or thinks it is not a helpful concept.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: tall73
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is the part of the thread where we don't talk about guns, correct?

Since this was in America the gun issue is always there in a shooting. But the problem is not just in America.

It is a bit like the Royal Commission in Victoria, Australia looking into the factors that drive family violence. A large percentage of their homicides involve family violence, which is a trend worldwide. A variety of weapons, or no weapons at all may be used.

Understanding what drives that behavior and warning signs might do more to help in those particular situations, apart from only limiting weapons.

In this case though it is more complicated. You can recognize signs in your boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife, etc. but these are people acting out on strangers who are not directly involved. But the attackers are relaying a motive. And we need to try to see if there is a way to resolve the issues for individuals, and in society that may drive this behavior.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Since the two things he indicates define masculinity he then acknowledges define all of humanity, either he didn't actually define masculinity, or thinks it is not a helpful concept.
He is talking about how our culture generally defines masculinity, but he is demonstrating throughout his talk that it's a problem to do that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He is talking about how our culture generally defines masculinity, but he is demonstrating throughout his talk that it's a problem to do that.

I understand that. But he didn't give a better definition of masculinity as he proposed to, unless it is to erase masculinity in favor of shared humanity.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I understand that. But he didn't give a better definition of masculinity as he proposed to, unless it is to erase masculinity in favor of shared humanity.
Did you watch the whole thing? It's not an erasure of masculinity to say that "to be a man" is defined by how well a man loves others.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did you watch the whole thing? It's not an erasure of masculinity to say that "to be a man" is defined by how well a man loves others.

Yes, I watched the whole thing. And he expressly stated that he sees the two traits he gave as common to humanity, and that all people think that when they come to their death bed. Which I can largely agree with.

But then that is defining what is critical to humanity, not to masculinity per se.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are a lot of angry men who resent their circumstances. When I hear their spiel about women or beta men I know I've encountered a problem. You can't reason with them. Most are time bombs waiting to blow.

~Bella

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I watched the whole thing. And he expressly stated that he sees the two traits he gave as common to humanity, and that all people think that when they come to their death bed. Which I can largely agree with.

But then that is defining what is critical to humanity, not to masculinity per se.
That ought to be what is critical to men (relationships...how well you've loved others). The fact that it is a shared value coincides with what the apostle Paul wrote about....does it not?

ETA: Jesus even summed up His premium instruction to humanity into two points - love God....love others. To me...when a man has that as his main focus, he is being the best of masculinity. The polar opposite of toxic masculinity.

Is that too icky that it's not a different instruction for women?

Last edited:
Upvote 0