Arizona institutes 'crisis standards' of care, i.e. the most sick will not receive scarce resources

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
TUCSON (KVOA) - Arizona is now under "Crisis Standards of Care'. Soon, healthcare workers may have to start following triage protocols.

Former Arizona Department of Health Services Director Will Humble said doctors will have to prioritize patients using a point system that follows a four-step process. A stark reality for some patients whose care is dependent on how they score.

"The closer you are to multi-organ system failure, the lower priority you'll be. That's counterintuitive I think," Humble said. "You might think that the ones in the worst shape are the ones that get the limited resource. But when you're in crisis standards of care, what it means is that the ones that are most likely to benefit from the treatment are most likely to get the treatment."

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
How do they know barring someone who is terminal who is most likely to benefit from treatment?

They don't know for certain, but it's a reasonable rule on average, so it will save more lives than flipping a coin.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
They don't know for certain, but it's a reasonable rule on average, so it will save more lives than flipping a coin.
I saw that this is likely to happen later this month. I would think that that would ONLY mean if the cases do not change ( lower).

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I saw that this is likely to happen later this month. I would think that that would ONLY mean if the cases do not change ( lower).
This is what "spreading it quicker" looks like.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is what "spreading it quicker" looks like.
so if the cases were to go down they will not have that problem I would also assume that they also take volunteers first.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
With a few weeks notice I'd think they could expand capacity. NJ got Federal help to set up temporary facilities. If things got really bad, most hospital patients would be handled in them. The hospitals would become big ICUs, and everyone else would go to a temporary facility. We also had our hospitals double capacity. We didn't say how: put people in the halls or cafeterias. They managed to do it. I'd think they might be able to get volunteer staff from other states, given a bit of notice. Again, NJ did that. We've been known to loan ventilators to other states that need them.

The IHME site shows that we had 3000 patients in ICU at the peak with 466 ICU beds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
With a few weeks notice I'd think they could expand capacity. NJ got Federal help to set up temporary facilities. If things got really bad, most hospital patients would be handled in them. We also had our hospitals double capacity. We didn't saw how: put people in the halls or cafeterias. They managed to do it. I'd think they might be able to get volunteer staff from other states, given a bit of notice. Again, NJ did that.
yeah I would think if they know this is coming they would try to avoid.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
TUCSON (KVOA) - Arizona is now under "Crisis Standards of Care'. Soon, healthcare workers may have to start following triage protocols.

Former Arizona Department of Health Services Director Will Humble said doctors will have to prioritize patients using a point system that follows a four-step process. A stark reality for some patients whose care is dependent on how they score.

"The closer you are to multi-organ system failure, the lower priority you'll be. That's counterintuitive I think," Humble said. "You might think that the ones in the worst shape are the ones that get the limited resource. But when you're in crisis standards of care, what it means is that the ones that are most likely to benefit from the treatment are most likely to get the treatment."

I thought Obama was supposed to be the guy with the Death Panels?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I thought that triage is already standard practice in emergencies.

The protocols they are taking about are different in this case, since they have to deliberately ration treatment. People who are severe cases (e.g. close to dying) may not be treated, since they would be taking resources away from people who could otherwise be saved.

Reportedly they aren't quite at that point yet, but if cases continue to rise, they could be very soon.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hope this is to be used only in case they really can’t treat everyone. It follows standard triage principles. But in the East we mostly avoided getting into that situation.

It remains to be seen if it will be needed in Arizona (i.e percentage of the cases from the last two weeks end up in the hospital). ICU capacity is at 91% as of Thursday. However, there are will be additional beds available as hospitals invoke their surge capacity.
  • Ventilator use for suspected and confirmed COVID-19 patients was at 489 on Thrusday, the highest day so far. Overall, 53% of ventilators remained available Wednesday.
  • ICU bed use for suspected and confirmed positive COVID-19 patients was 741 on Wednesday, the highest number so far. The number has been above 500 daily since June 15.
Arizona coronavirus update: 91,858 cases, 1,788 deaths

• Informative
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The medical term for this is triage --- when medical resources are strained they are allocated to those who are most likely to benefit. When my father was wounded in the last days of WW1 he was brought to a field hospital after about 12 hours without treatment. He was left in a tent with about 5 or 6 other severely wounded soldiers. In the morning he was the only one left alive. It was then he was treated --- an amputation without anesthesia. Medical resources were strained to the limit.

• Informative
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is criminal that in a nation with the resources of the USA it should come down to this point. Contrary to the president the crisis is not "being handled" but is getting worse. Where does "the buck stop"? It stops, as it always has, on the desk in the Oval Office no matter what the Denier in Chief says.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It remains to be seen if it will be needed in Arizona (i.e percentage of the cases from the last two weeks end up in the hospital). ICU capacity is at 91% as of Thursday. However, there are will be additional beds available as hospitals invoke their surge capacity.
  • Ventilator use for suspected and confirmed COVID-19 patients was at 489 on Thrusday, the highest day so far. Overall, 53% of ventilators remained available Wednesday.
  • ICU bed use for suspected and confirmed positive COVID-19 patients was 741 on Wednesday, the highest number so far. The number has been above 500 daily since June 15.
Arizona coronavirus update: 91,858 cases, 1,788 deaths
It also would depend on how many "volunteers" as it were they had,

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Enough to matter to some.
And irrelevant for addressing the issue. People declining treatment, while noble, does nothing to change the hospitals being over capacity anymore than someone giving up their seat in a titanic life boat fixed that there were not enough to go around.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And irrelevant for addressing the issue. People declining treatment, while noble, does nothing to change the hospitals being over capacity anymore than someone giving up their seat in a titanic life boat fixed that there were not enough to go around.
but if there are say two people in need of a bed and there is one bed if one of those people says the other can have the bed then that means that in that particular case the other person gets to live and the doctors are not forced to make that particular decision does not mean it will change for everyone and that everyone who needs and wants a bed will be able to have one.

Upvote 0