Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone my arminist friend has this argument against
1. unconditional election
2. Limited atonement
3. Irristible grace

I hope this is the right place to post this as I posted it previously in the wrong place haha.

Anyway.
I would love to know a well-versed Calvinists thoughts and possible rebuttals on this God bless.

1. Unconditional Election
Arminians dispute the Calvinist claim that election is unconditional. We believe election is conditional upon a free choice on the part of a sinner to believe. This is evidenced throughout the Scripture since faith is always the condition of salvation. Now I am personally dissatisfied with many Arminian account of the doctrine of predestination. This is why I hold to Molinist-Arminianism. In actualizing any one of a number of possible world, God thereby predestinated all who were in this world to be saved. This predestination was not independent of their will, however. As Romans 8:29 says, whom He did foreknow He also did predestinate. Thus, predestination, on my view, is God’s actualization of a possible world based on His knowledge of who would freely choose to believe given the circumstances of any given possible world. This gives us strong doctrine of predestination while maintaining human responsibility in a way that does justice to the Biblical text.

1. Limited Atonement
I won’t spend a lot of time here, but let me cite two verses against this view. 1 Tim. 2:6 , speaking of Jesus, says, “Who gave himself a ransom for all.” and 1 John 2:2 says of Jesus that “he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.” Reformed reinterpretations of these passages are strained and contradict the surrounding context.

1. Irresistible Grace
Calvinists have this view that regeneration precedes faith, but I would submit that Scripture presents this as just the opposite. Faith precedes regeneration. Throughout Scripture we see that faith is always the condition of salvation. Scripture repeatedly declares, believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved. Arminians interpret passages such as John 6:44 as speaking of prevenient grace, that is grace which enables a person to believe, but not compel them to believe. We believe God draws people, but that this drawing is resistible. Relationships require freedom in order to be meaningful, and since God desires a meaningful relationship with us we don’t believe God forces us to be in a relationship with Him. We believe God’s enabling grace illuminates us to our lost condition, and that this illumination allows us to decide to be saved as well as to not be. Furthermore, Scripture invariably teaches that salvation is contingent on the human’s choice to be saved. (Gal 3:26, Jn 1:12, Jn 5:24, Lk 7:50, Acts 16:31, Rom 10:9, 1 Cor 1:21, Eph 2:8-9). Scripture teaches grace is resistible (Gal 2:21, Heb 3:8 and 15, and 10:29, Eph 4:30

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The discussion between Arminianism and Calvinism reminds me of the question: If Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton fell off a tall building, which one would hit the ground first?
Answer: Does it really matter?

In relation to that, once I have received Christ as my Saviour after believing 1 John 1:9 and putting my faith in Him alone, does it really matter how I got through the narrow gate?

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
3. Irresistible Grace
Calvinists have this view that regeneration precedes faith, but I would submit that Scripture presents this as just the opposite. Faith precedes regeneration. Throughout Scripture we see that faith is always the condition of salvation. Scripture repeatedly declares, believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved. Arminians interpret passages such as John 6:44 as speaking of prevenient grace, that is grace which enables a person to believe, but not compel them to believe. We believe God draws people, but that this drawing is resistible. Relationships require freedom in order to be meaningful, and since God desires a meaningful relationship with us we don’t believe God forces us to be in a relationship with Him. We believe God’s enabling grace illuminates us to our lost condition, and that this illumination allows us to decide to be saved as well as to not be. Furthermore, Scripture invariably teaches that salvation is contingent on the human’s choice to be saved. (Gal 3:26, Jn 1:12, Jn 5:24, Lk 7:50, Acts 16:31, Rom 10:9, 1 Cor 1:21, Eph 2:8-9). Scripture teaches grace is resistible (Gal 2:21, Heb 3:8 and 15, and 10:29, Eph 4:30
Hello Gordon, I see that you are pretty new around here, so first off, WELCOME TO CF :wave: (and welcome to Ask a Calvinist as well :)).

Just to be clear, this board is meant for Calvinists alone to answer questions about Calvinism, IOW, it's not a board where debate/teaching by non-Calvinists, particularly in response to what we have to say about Calvinism here, is permitted (though you and others may ask additional questions, of course).

That said, you've given us a lot to talk about, so I'll begin with part of it, at the bottom with Irresistible Grace and we can work up from there.

Your friend mentioned that we teach that, regeneration precedes faith, and he is correct about that (and although I believe that this teaching is tied directly to Total Depravity, not to Irresistible Grace, I think I see why he mentioned it here, so I will get back to it later).

That said, your friend spoke of the two types of "grace" that are taught by Arminians and Calvinists, Prevenient and Irresistible Grace, and he mentioned John 6:44, so I'll begin with that verse.

John 6
44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent me "draws" him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

The Greek word that's translated as "draws" in v44 is ἑλκύω [transliterated as helkuo]. This word NEVER means to "beg", "woo", "entice", etc., whether Biblically or extra-Biblically. Rather, it means to lead or impel, to compel, to drag, to haul, to draw by an inward power or irresistible force. Peter "drew" his sword and cut off the servant's ear .. John 18:10, Paul and Silas were "dragged" before the authorities in the marketplace .. Acts 16:19. ἑλκύω was also used when the disciples were unable to "draw" or haul" in their net because it was filled with too many fish .. John 21:6, and it was used extra-Biblically (in a Greek play once) to speak of "drawing" water from a well.

On the other hand, there are a couple of different Greek words that mean to woo or to entice, and here is one of them, δελεάζω [deleazo]. This is the Biblical word that's used for "woo" or "entice" by both James and Peter (for instance, "each one is tempted when he is carried away and ~enticed~ by his own lust" .. James 1:14), so it, not ἑλκύω, is the word that the Lord Jesus would have probably chosen to use .. in John 6:44 .. if beg, woo or entice is the meaning that He intended to convey to us.

This is more than enough for one post, so I'll stop here for now. Do you have any additional questions, or should I move on?

Thanks!

--David

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello again @Gordon James, there is the second half of the verse to consider as well, so before we move on, let me point that out to you as well.

John 6
44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent me "draws" him; and I will raise him up on the last day.
This was just stated a few verses back in John 6:37-40, as passage that I will summarize for you as follows:

John 6:37-40 (excerpt)
All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and .. of all that He has given Me, I LOSE NOTHING, but raise it up on the last day.

If ~all~ of us are drawn by the Father and given to His Son, then one of two things must be true, 1. the atonement is Universal/all will be saved or 2. Jesus was mistaken somehow in what He told us in John 6:39 when He said that, "I Lose Nothing".

Or 3. ~all~ of us are not drawn by the Father.

God bless you!

David

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
...once I have received Christ as my Saviour after believing 1 John 1:9 and putting my faith in Him alone, does it really matter how I got through the narrow gate?
Hi Occarr, well of course it does. If it didn't, what would we use to keep all of the fights going between Calvinists and Arminians here at CF? :p :rolleyes:

--David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Occarr, well of course it does. If it didn't, what would use to keep all the fights going being Calvinists and Arminians here about at CF? :p :rolleyes:

--David
It's fun having the debates. CF would be boring without them! :)

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone my arminist friend has this argument against
1. unconditional election
2. Limited atonement
3. Irristible grace

I hope this is the right place to post this as I posted it previously in the wrong place haha.

Anyway.
I would love to know a well-versed Calvinists thoughts and possible rebuttals on this God bless.

1. Unconditional Election
Arminians dispute the Calvinist claim that election is unconditional. We believe election is conditional upon a free choice on the part of a sinner to believe. This is evidenced throughout the Scripture since faith is always the condition of salvation. Now I am personally dissatisfied with many Arminian account of the doctrine of predestination. This is why I hold to Molinist-Arminianism. In actualizing any one of a number of possible world, God thereby predestinated all who were in this world to be saved. This predestination was not independent of their will, however. As Romans 8:29 says, whom He did foreknow He also did predestinate. Thus, predestination, on my view, is God’s actualization of a possible world based on His knowledge of who would freely choose to believe given the circumstances of any given possible world. This gives us strong doctrine of predestination while maintaining human responsibility in a way that does justice to the Biblical text.

1. Limited Atonement
I won’t spend a lot of time here, but let me cite two verses against this view. 1 Tim. 2:6 , speaking of Jesus, says, “Who gave himself a ransom for all.” and 1 John 2:2 says of Jesus that “he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.” Reformed reinterpretations of these passages are strained and contradict the surrounding context.

1. Irresistible Grace
I believe the Synod of Dort answered many of these contentions:

Canons of Dort

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's fun having the debates. CF would be boring without them! :)
As our only Calvinist Pentecostal (as far as I know) here at CF I sure do like you debate comments.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Arminians dispute the Calvinist claim that election is unconditional. We believe election is conditional upon a free choice on the part of a sinner to believe. This is evidenced throughout the Scripture since faith is always the condition of salvation.
Calvin agreed that justification is based on faith. God doesn't say "no matter what this person does, he's in." Rather, the point of predestination is that God, through the activity of the Holy Spirit, brings them to faith.

I'm not going to comment on limited atonement, because it seems like basically a question definition. Calvinists agree that Christ's death was sufficient for everyone, but say in the light of predestination that it wasn't intended to save everyone. Hence in a reasonable sense he didn't die for everyone. (It's not so clear that Calvin taught limited atonement.)
Calvinists have this view that regeneration precedes faith, but I would submit that Scripture presents this as just the opposite. Faith precedes regeneration. Throughout Scripture we see that faith is always the condition of salvation.
The Reformed tradition has used the term "regeneration" in two different ways. They agree that bringing our lives into conformity with Christ is a result of faith. This can reasonably be called regeneration. When it is said that regeneration comes before faith, it's speaking of something different. Reformed believe that humans on their own can't follow God. God has to prepare the way before they can hear his call. It's the change that makes a person able to hear God call them that is regeneration in this sense.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day,

The prince of preachers on Effectual Grace:

A man is not saved against his will, but he is made willing by the operation of the Holy Ghost. A mighty grace which he does not wish to resist enters into the man, disarms him, makes a new creature of him, and he is saved.”

• Winner
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums