• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Aren’t Christians just “finished jews”

Discussion in 'For New Christians' started by Jackson23, Jan 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jackson23

Jackson23 New Member

+0
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Hi, I don’t know if this is the right section, but I have this question.
    Here it is; aren’t Christians just “finished” or “completed” jews? Is the only difference that our Messiah has come and they don’t think theirs has? I know that both faiths share the Old Testament, but don’t they have other books also? Did they just keep adding books to their list of “holy books”. This question isn’t a big deal, but I’ve just been thinking about it recently. Thanks for your time! :)

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother?

+6,522
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    No.

3. ewq1938

ewq1938 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,503
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican

The first Christians (people that accepted the Messiah) were Jews. They were the original body of Christ, the first Church (Christian church). Any gentiles that accept Christ join that already existing body of Christ and are grafted upon that original olive tree and join the one true Church.

4. LiquidCat

LiquidCat New Member

+33
    Poland
    Christian
    Private
    Not really , Christians were never meant to be, God wanted Jews to inherit city after accepting Christ after they crucify him but since majority of them decided not to he Blinded them and decided to turn to all others people names gentiles and "Church Age" started.

God still wants Jews to inherit what he promised to Abraham and Moses and other prophets so he is comming back to deal with them like it's written in book of Revelation.

5. crossnote

crossnote Berean Supporter

+1,269
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    We, as Gentiles are not of the lineage of Abraham--->Isaac_-->Jacob. Those who are and exercise faith in Yeshua as Messiah would be completed. We, as Gentiles, are wild olive branches grafted in among them partaking of the root and fatness of their olive tree. (Rom 11:17)

6. klutedavid

klutedavid Well-Known Member

+2,714
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Two different worlds.

Christians live by faith in Jesus Christ.

Jews strive to obey the written law of Moses.

Jews are a race of people derived from Abraham.

7. longwait

longwait Well-Known Member

+585
    Christian
    Married
    As believers we are grafted into Israel even if we are gentiles.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,898
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I agree, and that isn't anything new. Ruth was a Moabite woman, a gentile when she became a proselyte to the faith of Abraham.

9. BNR32FAN

BNR32FAN He’s a Way of life Supporter

+3,248
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    The apostles were messianic Jews which means they are Jews who believed that Christ is the Messiah. They’re still Jews even tho they believe in Christ, in fact that’s what all Jews are actually supposed to believe.

10. ewq1938

ewq1938 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,503
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    All Jews are Messianic if they are religious because even those who reject Christ still believe in a Messiah.

What else could they be? Being a Christian doesn't change one's racial background. Only in a spiritual sense are there no races in the body of Christ.

11. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+5,630
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    If I were of Jewish heritage, I might claim that for myself. Other Christians of Jewish heritage have. Since I am a Gentile Christian however, I don't believe that is a proper label for me. No matter, God has given me plenty more good ones.

12. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+17,032
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    The short answer is no.

The long answer is also no, but also:

The Jewish Bible is known as the Tanakh, it roughly corresponds to the Christian Old Testament, or more specifically the modern Protestant Old Testament. Judaism does not recognize any other books as Scripture except those in the Tanakh, but there is plenty of written and oral tradition, teaching, and material which is drawn from. For example the Talmud, the Talmud consists of the Mishnah (the oral teachings of Judaism written down later) and the Gemara, the commentary of the rabbis and ancient Jewish sages. This, along with other bodies of rabbinical teaching and wisdom establishes Jewish halakha, the body of Jewish "law" which informs day-to-day Jewish practice.

Jews are Jews because they belong to the Jewish community. Under traditional rabbinical halakha a Jew is a Jew if they have a Jewish mother. Thus a child born to a Gentile father and a Jewish mother is considered a Jew, and if the child is male they should be circumcised. On the other hand, under the traditional understanding, if the father is Jewish, but the mother is not Jewish, then the child must be converted to Judaism, if the child is a girl she undergoes tevilah in a mikveh, tevilah is ritual washing and a mikveh is a ritual bath (this is the Jewish precursor to Christian Baptism by the way), if the child is a boy then he is also washed in a mikveh but also circumcised.

The earliest Christians were all Jews, but not all Christians are Jews. Gentile Christians aren't Jews. So there are Jewish Christians and there are Gentile Christians. The overwhelming majority of Christians are Gentiles, and its been that way for a long time.

-CryptoLutheran

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List