Are your folks fundamental christians like my mom and dad are?

May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
They have been my whole life. My first memory was actually being in the nursery at their Baptist church when I was only 3 years old...and I'm like, what? 30 now? So yeah, that was some time ago.

I was practically raised in the church.

I can see that religion is important to them, so I just learned to accept and embrace Christianity because I saw that they did as well. I did not want to be an outsider, I wanted to fit in and be part of the family, so I adopted Christianity as my religion too.

I know that some people are offended at religion, but I'm not. I don't care to discuss either religion or politics. It's just debate that I avoid, as it can stir up strife and I don't like conflict.

Is anyone else here a Conservative fundamental Christian? Or are you guys more liberal in your thinking?

Last edited:

Cat Loaf You

Dec 11, 2017
Warsaw
✟22,505.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My mom and dad divorce .

I don't know if dad is saved because he is gambler and drinks alot he was in jail too . He does not show any fruit that Christians bear .

I told my mom and i think she accepted Christ but she still didn't get rid of pagan fortune figures made of brass or something which she keep in her room .
Also she is doing many things against bible but since she accepted that Jesus is God it's not my job to force anything on her but it's God's job to deal with her and these stuffs . I asked her if she were born in India would believe in buddhism or tried to embrace truth , she said she would be buddhist if she was born there so she is more about tradition than God that's why i dubt if she is saved .

My grandpa when he died of cancer repented and took "Last Rites " from Catholic Priest , i hope he is in heaven.

My grandma believe God and goes to Catholic Church and i think she is saved .

Upvote 0

Sola1517

Saint-in-Progress (Looking for a Church)
Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
They have been my whole life. My first memory was actually being in the nursery at their Baptist church when I was only 3 years old...and I'm like, what? 30 now? So yeah, that was some time ago.

I can see that religion is important to them, so I just learned to accept and embrace Christianity because I saw that they did as well. I did not want to be an outsider, I wanted to fit in and be part of the family, so I adopted Christianity as my religion too.

I know that some people are offended at religion, but I'm not. I don't care to discuss either religion or politics. It's just debate that I avoid, as it can stir up strife and I don't like conflict.

Is anyone else here a Conservative fundamental Christian? Or are you guys more liberal in your thinking?
I was raised a Southern Baptist. Just wondering from what you wrote, have you ever made a conscious decision to turn to Jesus as savior and lord?

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Cat Loaf You

Dec 11, 2017
Warsaw
✟22,505.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was raised a Southern Baptist. Just wondering from what you wrote, have you ever made a conscious decision to turn to Jesus as savior and lord?

Many people who are raised this way never realised when they were lost . Untill you realise that you are lost you can't be saved .

People like that spend thier life focusing on prayer and singings songs in church but they never asked Jesus to forgive them thier sins .

Upvote 0

NurseAbigail

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2017
NC
✟48,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

I too grew up in a very Christian household, both my parents were heavy in ministry. They both preached to different denominations, went on numerous mission trips, etc.
I understood the message of salvation, as early in my childhood as I could remember. I always asked questions, the hard questions and am blessed that both my parents were very fervent in the faith, especially my mother, she always had an answer, every time I am anxious about a question, her answers are always filled with peace. They weren't perfect by all means, I saw their weaknesses at times, but it is there that I saw the goodness and mercies of God, by watching how He moved through them despite their humannes. But yeah, makes me wonder too how I would've been had they not been Christians, I probably would still come to know Jesus but by different means or maybe at a later time in my life.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

Hi, nice to meet you.

I am not a fundamentalist, but given that you are posting in Fundamentalist Christians I am sure you will find a few like-minded people.

Fwiw, my dad was a very strict Methodist; former lay preacher whose sermons were, in his words, 'red hot.' By the time I came along they had cooled a shade, but not much. He no longer preached in the church, just in the home, usually along the lines of, 'Don't do as I do, do as I say.'

My faith couldn't be more different from his if I tried. Mine is more, 'Ignore what I say; it is probably nonsense. Look at what I do.'

I hope you make some good friends here.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

The OP has spent 27 years in a fundamentalist church and you think this question has never arisen before?

Good grief.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
My mom and dad divorce .

I don't know if dad is saved because he is gambler and drinks alot he was in jail too . He does not show any fruit that Christians bear .

I told my mom and i think she accepted Christ but she still didn't get rid of pagan fortune figures made of brass or something which she keep in her room .
Also she is doing many things against bible but since she accepted that Jesus is God it's not my job to force anything on her but it's God's job to deal with her and these stuffs . I asked her if she were born in India would believe in buddhism or tried to embrace truth , she said she would be buddhist if she was born there so she is more about tradition than God that's why i dubt if she is saved .

My grandpa when he died of cancer repented and took "Last Rites " from Catholic Priest , i hope he is in heaven.

My grandma believe God and goes to Catholic Church and i think she is saved .

I have been a Christian my whole life. I too think that if I were born in a Hindu country I would probably be Hindu; that is just common sense. It is no reflection on her faith for your mother to say so; it is perfectly reasonable.

Entrust your mother (and father, come to that) to God's mercy, and don't worry. Your grandpa is already with the Lord; no question of that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cat Loaf You

Dec 11, 2017
Warsaw
✟22,505.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have been a Christian my whole life. I too think that if I were born in a Hindu country I would probably be Hindu; that is just common sense. It is no reflection on her faith for your mother to say so; it is perfectly reasonable.

Entrust your mother (and father, come to that) to God's mercy, and don't worry. Your grandpa is already with the Lord; no question of that.

Well i told the truth to my Mom that after she divorce every time she had sex was fornication because God does not give divorce , she was thinking about it for a week and felt sorry but after that she is thinking of getting married 3rd time so basicly she does not repent .

It is not reasonable for me . Also she said multiple times she prefer good life on earth rather than afterlife while being poor and after two divorces so that's why i have dubts .

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
From as far back as I can remember I was in a independent fundamental baptist church. Sunday, Sunday night and Wed. night. I thank God my mother was faithful in making sure I was in church.

There are a few things I disagree with in the fundamental baptist way, but then again I do believe they are the most accurate in doctrine.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Well i told the truth to my Mom that after she divorce every time she had sex was fornication because God does not give divorce , she was thinking about it for a week and felt sorry but after that she is thinking of getting married 3rd time so basicly she does not repent .

It is not reasonable for me . Also she said multiple times she prefer good life on earth rather than afterlife while being poor and after two divorces so that's why i have dubts .

It is a good job the Good Lord is more merciful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TerryWoodenpic

Nov 23, 2017
Oldham
✟39,925.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I never knew my mother go to church. My father died when I was very young. but was brought up a Unitarian. (non subscribing Presbyterian.)This actual church ....Welcome to The Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland
I was sent to Anglican boarding schools and grew up as an Anglican
My paternal Grand parents were Unitarian My maternal Grand mother was Jewish and My maternal Grand father did not go to Church but was brought up Anglican.

Net result I am an extremely Liberal Anglican of 83 years standing.

Upvote 0

JoeyChris

Feb 1, 2018
Gladstone
✟8,794.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My father is an Anglican by birth (atheist). My Catholic mother brought us up Catholic. My sisters, my brother and I all attended Mass most Sundays and went to Catholic primary and secondary schools.

My mother and siblings now show no signs of their Roman Catholic upbringing except that my non-married sister sends her and her partner's son to Catholic school (for its values).

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The OP has spent 27 years in a fundamentalist church and you think this question has never arisen before?

Good grief.
I know people on the internet forums, and in person, frequently, who have gone to church for over 40 years and are still controlled by forces (Ephesians 2) they got involved in before that - no one bothered to tell them how to be set free from the devil and how to be forgiven for sin - only how to act right to be accepted.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I have been a Christian my whole life. I too think that if I were born in a Hindu country I would probably be Hindu; that is just common sense.
There are likely many testimonies of Hindus being saved even though they were raised in a Hindu family and country. They sought the truth, as God promises they will find the truth if they seek Him and keep seeking Him. If not, they die in their sin like everyone else (most people) on earth.

Upvote 0