Are your feelings biblical?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
@Michael Collum However, I think the question about whether emotions are biblical is a bit odd. I think I know what you are asking, but biblical truths live more in the rational than irrational. And emotions are in the irrational. Unless you have some insights as to the connection. Thanks.
Emotions are not irrational, they are the language of babies, it's just too complex to phrase in the way we have been educated thus misunderstood as irrational.

• Informative
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Does the Bible tell us NOT to feel a certain way? Or conversely, to feel a certain way?

Fear not... Let not your hearts be troubled... have compassion... show mercy... love one another... (come to mind)
The bible tells us to take captive our thoughts and bring them to obedience of Christ, the emotions are "the inside of the cup" when it comes to thoughts.

Before we spoke a human language, emotions were the substance of our thoughts. On some level of the subconscious, this remains true. So this foundational level needs to be sanctified also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What about our conscience? And those who don't have one? (seared = emotionless)
The requirements of the law are written on our hearts, our conscience bearing witness.

Romans 2:14-15 NIV
(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.)

1 Timothy 4:2 NIV
Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.
Conscience is an entirely different subject of course.

For example, start a discussion or community on the basis of "just being yourself" and assuming the best will come out of people. It won't be long until those who have been stepped on all their lives, make it all about themselves, and start acting in harmful ways.

How people are treated, and how they respond inwardly, and then by consequence outwardly is something that happens due to a lack of understanding of this foundational issue.

All the actions and thoughts that come out of a person, spring from their emotions and how that inner child is treated. But woe to that (hu)man who is the source of sin for the inner child. it is better for a millstone to be hung around their neck and for them to be dragged to the bottom of the sea.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Emotions are not irrational, they are the language of babies, it's just too complex to phrase in the way we have been educated thus misunderstood as irrational.
I have noticed something about engaging with babies. You can get their attention and engage with them using direct eye contact. But they seem to only be able to take so much at a time and divert their eyes to take a break, as it were. and then look back at you to engage some more before they take another break. As an adult I can observe this whole thing without looking away. Fascinating.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible tells us to take captive our thoughts and bring them to obedience of Christ, the emotions are "the inside of the cup" when it comes to thoughts.

Before we spoke a human language, emotions were the substance of our thoughts. On some level of the subconscious, this remains true. So this foundational level needs to be sanctified also.
How do you think that relates to "the flesh", our sinful nature?

Upvote 0

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello @Michael Collum

Because pf the subject of babies, would like to mention something when it comes down to us when were too were once infant babies.

When we are brought into this world -> you are dressed and clothed, when you cry you get fed by a breast or a bottle, when you are walked around with by being held and that stops as infants we do not like that.

So far everything you perceive is yours.

You grow up and you see your hand and now you are like oh well the world has been serving me so far, look at this thing it bends and grabs things, now the baby things it is on top of the world, now I can control things my own way.

Now you are moving on to perceiving to everything is yours as if the world owes you something.

So when we are brought into this world : as babies, infants, into toddlers, we are selfish and it is a natural process that happens.

(Of course take care of the children) but this is what the infant sees: as it is growing up.

It is very interesting when looking at it this way.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Conscience is an entirely different subject of course.

For example, start a discussion or community on the basis of "just being yourself" and assuming the best will come out of people. It won't be long until those who have been stepped on all their lives, make it all about themselves, and start acting in harmful ways.

How people are treated, and how they respond inwardly, and then by consequence outwardly is something that happens due to a lack of understanding of this foundational issue.

All the actions and thoughts that come out of a person, spring from their emotions and how that inner child is treated. But woe to that (hu)man who is the source of sin for the inner child. it is better for a millstone to be hung around their neck and for them to be dragged to the bottom of the sea.
At the risk of getting off topic...

It seems that those who are aware of the cycle of abuse (abusers were abused) can choose to end it rather than perpetuate it. "It stops with me."

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... Now you are moving on to perceiving to everything is yours as if the world owes you something. ...
When I read this, I remembered my father saying to me when I was still quite young, "You think the world owes you a living, don't you?" He was basically pouring cold water on my adulthood. "By the sweat of your brow..." Like a curse.

• Informative
Reactions: AubreyM
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Saint steven it is the truth about how our human nature is, it is something very new that just came to my attention yesterday when being taught about it.
Here's the problem. (for me)

Because of what my father said to me, or when and the way he said it, I believed for much of my adult life that work is a curse. I was well into my 40s when a wealthy and successful man corrected me by saying, "Work is a blessing." It took me a while to wrap my head around that. Now I agree. I finally understand the value of work. No longer slavish drudgery, I now thrive where I am planted. I move up through the ranks in a company pretty quickly now. I want to work. The old mindset would have me stuck in the mail room forever. A personal hell on earth.

Reactions: AubreyM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Saint steven,

Agreed work is a blessing, whether you are a simply a janitor, or the main boss. What matters aside from that is looking towards God and the Lord Jesus Christ for peace, and for the ability to live by the spirit and Love God and Love others.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's the problem. (for me)

Because of what my father said to me, or when and the way he said it, I believed for much of my adult life that work is a curse. I was well into my 40s when a wealthy and successful man corrected me by saying, "Work is a blessing." It took me a while to wrap my head around that. Now I agree. I finally understand the value of work. No longer slavish drudgery, I now thrive where I am planted. I move up through the ranks in a company pretty quickly now. I want to work. The old mindset would have me stuck in the mail room forever. A personal hell on earth.
@AubreyM My father could have explained the way the world was, but then given me some hope due to our relationship with God. When life is hard, we have a God that can get us through it. AND... there are godly principles that will actually help us to succeed. We are always farther ahead when we do the right thing. That is not the way of the world. The world says you have to TAKE what you want, BECAUSE... the world doesn't owe you anything. Jesus says, humble yourself, in due time you will be lifted up.

I struggled with the other side of it as well. I humbled myself to the point of selling myself short. I had to learn to think of myself as highly as I should. I finally found some balance. Now I live in confidence, but not self-confidence. I take every day as a challenge, rather than be defeated by my circumstances.

I suppose emotions play into this somehow. (an attempt to get back on topic - lol)

Upvote 0

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From what has become known to me is we are all a product of our surrounding. Like you mention about the world.

The world is the lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh, and the pride of life.

The world tells you take this, use this, and be proud of what you are doing.

Christ Jesus says come to me, let me help you, and be thankful for life.

It seems to be this way.

Thank you for taking your time to talk to me saint STeven.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... The world tells you take this, use this, and be proud of what you are doing. ...
I think personal pride has gotten a bad rap. We should be proud of what we are doing. (the opposite of ashamed)
We should strive to complete anything as a job well done. ("Well done, my good and faithful servant!")

The problem, as I see it, is in pridefulness, being FULL of pride.
We can't do sloppy, or incomplete, work and then shrug it off, saying we aren't proud of what we are doing. IMHO (not proud = ashamed) Balance again.

Sorry for all the posts. I'm pretty revved up about this. - lol

Upvote 0

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello Steven,

Pride in yourself or to be proud of God for what He has done in your life is more of the question.

It comes down to looking at myself and what I am doing, or humbling yourself before God and looking towards Him realizing you can not do everything by yourself.

Do not mind listening to your ponderance, and questionings of what it is you see from your side of the fence.

For me it is a perception of thankfulness of getting to do things in life life while looking towards God, and thanking Him for the Lord Jesus Christ, no am not perfect, but also do not desire to be the guy who said look at me and what I am doing, yet look at God And Jesus Christ, and look what they can do for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Steven,

Pride in yourself or to be proud of God for what He has done in your life is more of the question.

It comes down to looking at myself and what I am doing, or humbling yourself before God and looking towards Him realizing you can not do everything by yourself.

Do not mind listening to your ponderance, and questionings of what it is you see from your side of the fence.

For me it is a perception of thankfulness of getting to do things in life life while looking towards God, and thanking Him for the Lord Jesus Christ, no am not perfect, but also do not desire to be the guy who said look at me and what I am doing, yet look at God And Jesus Christ, and look what they can do for you.
At the risk of hairsplitting on this important subject...
I think we tend to devalue ourselves beyond what God wants for us.

I NEVER refuse a compliment by saying, "No, it was nothing." (= I am nothing) I thank the person that complimented me. It goes too far if I become prideful. But a healthy self-esteem is a God-given blessing.

I ask God for help in accomplishing the things I cannot do, but there are many things that I can do. And I give myself some credit to take care of it. God has gifted me to use my gifts; not to grovel at his feet claiming I am nothing when he has clearly made me something!

The last person I need to beat me up is me. I look in the mirror and say, "You're awesome! Go get 'em tiger!" - lol

Being imperfect does NOT mean being broken to the point of complete uselessness. Far from it! (how far is up to you)

Furthermore, you might be wise to hear me. All my children are older than you. At more than twice your age, I may have learned a few important lessons. Just sayin'. - lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello Steven

There is nothing wrong with accepting compliments from others. To me it is meaningful to make another person feel as though they are special by calling them by name, and making them feel as they are the only person in the room when it comes down to that one on one eye contact connection.

There is nothing wrong with telling others they are doing a good job and thanking them for what they do, and calling them by their name.

You speak a lot about how you see from your perception which is totally okay, and not here to condemn or judge you for your own perception just offer a different take.

If you desire to know my perception; it prone for me to make myself realize that in daily life - am never better than anyone else, God desires a relationship with all people, God desires us to look towards his son Jesus Christ, because us as humans are not good.

These are just my own observations and doings in my own life because they are truth. (if you could just live in my mind for one moment and me give you everything)

There are still the things that are done in life to make me happy and content which we all have and do, but just when it comes to self personal reflection to be truly honest with myself is the best way so do not become overstepping the boundaries that are set up in my life.

Because once overstepping those boundaries is where it is that I go down a deep long hole - that leads me to hate myself.

What do you believe God wants from us?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Steven

There is nothing wrong with accepting compliments from others. To me it is meaningful to make another person feel as though they are special by calling them by name, and making them feel as they are the only person in the room when it comes down to that one on one eye contact connection.

There is nothing wrong with telling others they are doing a good job and thanking them for what they do, and calling them by their name.

You speak a lot about how you see from your perception which is totally okay, and not here to condemn or judge you for your own perception just offer a different take.

If you desire to know my perception; it prone for me to make myself realize that in daily life - am never better than anyone else, God desires a relationship with all people, God desires us to look towards his son Jesus Christ, because us as humans are not good.

These are just my own observations and doings in my own life because they are truth. (if you could just live in my mind for one moment and me give you everything)

There are still the things that are done in life to make me happy and content which we all have and do, but just when it comes to self personal reflection to be truly honest with myself is the best way so do not become overstepping the boundaries that are set up in my life.

Because once overstepping those boundaries is where it is that I go down a deep long hole - that leads me to hate myself.

What do you believe God wants from us?
I see the first half (3 paragraphs) of your post as enriching honey and the second half as self-defeating spiritual poison. IMHO

Jesus came to give us life, abundant life. Out of our belly will flow living water. Gushing forth. Uncontainable. God wants us to be a fire hose. Don't settle for being a drip! - lol

I'm heading to work. Have a GREAT day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
How do you think that relates to "the flesh", our sinful nature?
As we mature as adults, this baby nature continues to exist in untranslated form. Because we become increasingly sinful, the cute baby becomes an instinctual adversary like entity that wants to do things because they feel good and damn the consequences.

The baby self in an adult is the Romans 7 type sin.

Upvote 0