Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A way I heard it phrased once is “there’s a difference between what the Bible says and what the Bible teaches” - for example, the Bible says that Saul was ordered to completely annihilate the Amalekites, but that doesn’t mean the Bible is teaching us that we should commit genocide. It’s a different type of understanding.

Back on topic, sometimes when I read the psalms I am absolutely amazed at how Biblical it is to feel depressed and alone. But I also know that I’m not alone, and the Psalms do have that turning point to face toward our Salvation. Same with the book of Job.

And that doesn’t even get into the “Biblical” feelings of the people in scripture who we are very clearly not supposed to emulate. So pride could be considered a “Biblical” feeling in that it is something addressed by what is written in the Bible.

I suppose the answer is that I can’t think of a single feeling that was not felt by at least one person in the Bible. So by literal definition, yes, our feelings are Biblical.
Those who considers to emulate pride. Consider this:
Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. -Proverbs 16:18

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Those who considers to emulate pride. Consider this:
Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. -Proverbs 16:18
When people say to be proud, I respond, "no, we should be thankful".

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If "Biblical" means that in Scripture which relates to the believer, I'm not seeing what you mean.
Sometimes a "biblical account" leaves out priority matters like the sermon on the mount in terms of conduct or the last half of James 3 when conveying said knowledge.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟102,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are your feelings biblical?
For me, the question is, "Are my thoughts biblical?" The Bible says, "For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he... (Proverbs 23:7)" Feelings follow thoughts and thoughts follow your beliefs. Therefore, if I am focused on the truth God is revealing to me through His indwelling Holy Spirit, then my feelings will be "biblical."

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
For me, the question is, "Are my thoughts biblical?" The Bible says, "For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he... (Proverbs 23:7)" Feelings follow thoughts and thoughts follow your beliefs. Therefore, if I am focused on the truth God is revealing to me through His indwelling Holy Spirit, then my feelings will be "biblical."
Not really, thoughts proceed from the substance of the heart, (Luke 6:45) which are the emotions.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟102,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not really, thoughts proceed from the substance of the heart, (Luke 6:45) which are the emotions.
Luke 6:45 is talking about the evil that comes from our hearts because of sin, or the good because of God changing it, not the feelings we experience because of what our minds are set on. Grace and Peace.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Jesusfann777888

Mar 28, 2021
manhattan
✟18,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are your feelings biblical?

The Bible I think refer's to the aspect of the emotions we expierience, as the result of our spirit, using the term spirit. I Could be completely wrong however.

I think the question your asking is, do we expierience emotion's that reveal something about ourselve's we don't like. can demon's cause emotion, etc.

I find the question challenging because The Bible Talk's about The Fruit'S of The Spirit. I personally don't know or understand if the Scripture in The Bible is Suppose to effect our feeling's as a result of what it say's which help guide our emotion's daily, or if the change of a person's emotion's are a Result of God's Spirit, The Holy Spirit.

emotion's usually go up and down though. I'm still trying to figure out if that's what a double-minded man is.

I think people get scared of their emotions after They Read The Bible, because they have no Control over them and view them as wrong. If you focus too much on your emotion however, I can tell you one thing, it can make you very sick. To put it this way, The Bible Say'S The Heart is desperately wicked. If that's speaking about our own heart's only God can change them.I have no Idea if that's a supernatural Cleansing to where we feel completely different or not, but I'll share another thing with you.

I went through a deliverance on time and my emotion's and personality completely changed. There might be a spiritual problem the result of a lot of the emotion's we expierience.

maniac's in The Bible were possessed, I'm sure posession has it's own set of emotional challenges.

I think These question's however aim at a higher question. Who Ever Really taught us about this stuff at " church ", and does anyone ever really feel comfortable asking these question's which seem to have no answer.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's an odd, but interesting question. Can we control what we feel? I'm inclined to say not. What we can do is act and do the right thing regardless of how we feel. So, I would say feelings are irrelevant, what we do is what matters. If course, I might have completely misunderstood the question! ^_^
I think as the males of the species we have a bit of a blind spot on the emotional landscape. We tend to attribute emotionalism to the females of the species. And try to be the strong ones and even IGNORE or suppress our emotions. Most of us men grew up with the "Big boys don't cry." and "Don't be a sissy." remarks when we showed our emotions. Then when we arrived at manhood were accused of being emotionless brutes. I wonder why?

Men do relate to the idea of having a gut feeling about something. An acceptable framing of emotional dialog for men. This would be worth discussing.

@Michael Collum However, I think the question about whether emotions are biblical is a bit odd. I think I know what you are asking, but biblical truths live more in the rational than irrational. And emotions are in the irrational. Unless you have some insights as to the connection. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yepp, all emotions are in the bible, including the "O wretched man that I am" type of emotional responses.

Odds are, if you're feeling something, someone in the bible felt the same thing.

However, in the sense that only one type of marriage is biblical, though the biblical context has widespread polygamy - are our feelings biblical?
Does the Bible tell us NOT to feel a certain way? Or conversely, to feel a certain way?

Fear not... Let not your hearts be troubled... have compassion... show mercy... love one another... (come to mind)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Feelings are the voice of the flesh. They are fickle but not entirely invalid. God gave us feelings for a reason. Feelings indicate which direction we are headed in and are both warning signs of influence of the flesh and blessed signs of influence of the Holy Spirit.

Feelings are incapable to "lead" us to heaven. Feelings & emotions always need to be guarded, constantly submitted to the authority of the Holy Spirit.

As long as God and I want the same at any given point in life, my feelings are emotions contribute to and support my Godly life. But, if God wants/allows something in my life which I do not appreciate, then my feelings and emotions are my strong enemies that, if unattended, separate me from God. Hence they are to be constantly watched over, aligned, steered and put to death if needed for me to walk a Godly life and purpose.
Feelings of conviction lead us to repentance. Might that lead us to heaven?

I think we need to be careful here. Much of our religious upbringing was about emotional suppression which is unhealthy. (a bitter root) We need to control or actions, which is often framed as controlling our emotions, with the directive to "not trust your emotions", which means to suppress (deny) them. Emotions = bad

I think it is healthier to address our emotions. Why am I feeling this way? Is my mind or body trying to tell me something. There things need to be weighed against the Bible and our Christian teachings, rather then dismissed out of hand. IMHO

Can we be compassionate and forgiving to one another without emotion?

Ephesians 4:32 NASB
Be kind to one another, compassionate, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My feelings are biochemical, just like anyone else's feelings. However, how I deal with them depends largely on my relationship with God. I allow Him, not my feelings, to direct my life, as much as possible.
Biochemical. That's a good way to say it. Emotions are our biochemical reaction to what we are experiencing. Worth analysis rather than immediate suppression. Why am I feeling this way?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used the word biblical on purpose.

Since we're in fleshly bodies that are by basis hostile to God, and those emotions we experience come from that God-hostile body, there wouldn't be as varied responses.
What about our conscience? And those who don't have one? (seared = emotionless)
The requirements of the law are written on our hearts, our conscience bearing witness.

Romans 2:14-15 NIV
(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.)

1 Timothy 4:2 NIV
Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When people say to be proud, I respond, "no, we should be thankful".
Isn't the problem with pride being prideful? Full of pride.

We can have pride in a job well done without being prideful. The opposite would be to do sloppy and careless work. Which is worse? What is the scripture? Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed. Something to be proud of? But not prideful about. (balance)

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think as the males of the species we have a bit of a blind spot on the emotional landscape. We tend to attribute emotionalism to the females of the species. And try to be the strong ones and even IGNORE or suppress our emotions.

That's no longer the case. :)

What they were trying to convey is the necessity of steadiness. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging our feelings consciously. But they doesn't always warrant action. That's the problem.

Sometimes we should stifle ourselves. We shouldn't give voice to everything we think or feel. Or permit bouts of depression and apathy driven by emotions. We need to rein it in and bear up.

Once upon a time we knew how to put our heads down and push forward. You weren't privy to everyone's thoughts and feelings around the clock. We didn't indulge them. Now it's like an endless talk show. We don't brush things off. We want to commiserate.

Men do relate to the idea of having a gut feeling about something. An acceptable framing of emotional dialog for men. This would be worth discussing.

Men are more emotional today than they've ever been. Too much in some instances. Exploring the shift would be edifying for both.

~bella

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
We can have pride in a job well done without being prideful.
Pride expects acknowledgment, and has concern for reputation. In other words,
seeking approval of others, and commendations for accomplishments.

Colossians 3:23 And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men.

Jesus taught to avoid pride in this manner.
Luke 17:
Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him?
I think not.

10 So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say,
We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.

Religious pride is hypocrisy.
Matthew 23:
But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad
and enlarge the borders of their garments.

6 They love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues,
7 greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, Rabbi, Rabbi.

The opposite of careless, sloppy or slothful work is diligence.
Proverbs 10:4 He who has a slack hand becomes poor, the hand of the diligent makes rich.
Proverbs 12:24 The hand of the diligent will rule, the lazy will be put to forced labor.
Proverbs 21:5 The plans of the diligent lead surely to plenty,
But everyone who is hasty, surely to poverty.

The world loves to say "take pride in yourself, in your work", and the prince of this world
is the prideful one.

Isaiah 23:9 The Lord of hosts has purposed it,
To bring to dishonor the pride of all glory,
To bring into contempt all the honorable of the earth.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's no longer the case. :)
Men are more emotional today than they've ever been. Too much in some instances. Exploring the shift would be edifying for both.

~bella
I agree that things have changed dramatically over the last several decades. Those of us who are twice that age grew up with it. My Mom is still playing those old tapes. "Poor baby", if I show any emotion or hurt.

And as you indicted, men are allowed to be more emotional today, but not TOO emotional. How are such things measured?

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I agree that things have changed dramatically over the last several decades. Those of us who are twice that age grew up with it. My Mom is still playing those old tapes. "Poor baby", if I show any emotion or hurt.

Men were steely back then. It took a lot to make them crack. The associations are differ today. In that situation, I'd adopt a different approach for my sanity. The retort is more damaging than the expression. I'd let it out later on.

And as you indicted, men are allowed to be more emotional today, but not TOO emotional. How are such things measured?

Over emotionalism always leads to instability. Knee jerk reactions, tirades, and stupidity. They don't slow down to process the experience and their emotions. It's psychological reactance. That's an unreasonable state. You're not grounded or level-headed. You're projecting.

Rational thought can't be set aside for expression. It should inform it. You view the situation from different angles to gauge influence. To determine the effect your feelings have on your outlook.

Male expression should be measured because reason's his default. If you're rational you're controlled. You aren't ruled by your thoughts. You have the reins. The control you exercise in one sphere affects the other. You develop a measure of emotional indifference which communicates; this isn't worth a response. That's how you keep your head.

You shouldn't trigger over every setback, disappointment, hardship, etc. That's not girding your loins. If you're whining and complaining about this and that you're not communicating strength. One of the hallmarks of strength is knowing when to act and when to restrain yourself.

Silence is powerful. Everything doesn't require a forum. Some things should be released or kept between you and your Maker. You can't be enmeshed in your thoughts and feelings and lead effectively. You're all in knots.

Or as Elvis said, you're in a rut and all shook up. You're tossed and turned by every wind that comes. The secret is the fruit of self-control. Not too much and not too little. But balanced.

You determine it by viewing your motives and the cost of their expression. What's your end goal? Does the proposed action bring you closer to the mark or further away? When you count the cost of your behavior you'll find your way to balance. You have a clear idea of what's helping and hurting you and make adjustments.

~bella

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Men were steely back then. It took a lot to make them crack. The associations are differ today. In that situation, I'd adopt a different approach for my sanity. The retort is more damaging than the expression. I'd let it out later on.
I remember when I was facing some losses in my life that would bring most to tears. I was unable to express my grief through tears. (ironically, a very painful experience) My wife told me that something was wrong with me since I wasn't grieving. It was a frightening thing. I believed her, and was unable to outwardly express my grief. It was as if I didn't know how. I couldn't make it happen. I shrugged it off. "I'm a man, what do you expect?"

I have since had a breakthrough in this area. I still can't cry the way some can. But I can express grief much better. I tear up when I hear something that is touching. I will wipe away a tear, but I never have a total meltdown.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Luke 6:45 is talking about the evil that comes from our hearts because of sin, or the good because of God changing it, not the feelings we experience because of what our minds are set on. Grace and Peace.
Not so much. Sanctification begins from the inward parts first.

Since we began without human language all foundational thoughts start without what is defined as "thought" proceeding straight from emotions. From the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks, which is why Jesus teaches us to clean the inside of the cup (our hearts) first instead.

If the emotions are in check, then the thoughts that proceed from them will be ordered also. And if clean, then clean.

• Informative
Upvote 0